SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haberfield is around 8 km west of Sydney in the inner west region. Originally designed as a garden suburb in the early 20th century, it still remains a popular place to live due to its proximity to the city and nearby inner city destinations such as Leichhardt, Summer Hill and Ashfield.

The entire suburb is on the register of the National Trust and is subject to a conservation order by Ashfield Council. This means that the homes and streetscapes will be preserved for future generations.

Suburbs like Haberfield actually were seen as ahead of the times. The wide streets were planned in anticipation for the rise of the motor car and also included key infrastruture that "slum" suburbs didn't have like sandstone kerbing, sewage and electricity.

Haberfield is part of Sydney's little Italy which runs west from Leichhardt through to Concord. The shopping centre is home to Italian speciality shops, restaurants and cafes. What those retailers offer is seen to be as superior as to those offered at Leichhardt.

My first lot of photos will focus on the shopping strip centred around the intersection of Ramsay & Dalhousie Street.

IMG_2083
by fabianamuso, on Flickr

IMG_2085

IMG_2087

IMG_2091

IMG_2097

IMG_2154

IMG_2156

IMG_2157

IMG_2166

Federation Place

IMG_2168

The former Haberfield Cinema is now a local supermarket.

IMG_2172

IMG_2174

IMG_2180

The former post office has been converted into a restaurant.

IMG_2183

IMG_2186

IMG_2191

IMG_2198

IMG_2193

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Great stuff.
I lived at Ashfield for many years and liked to shop (and dine) at Haberfield.
Il Locale is the only restaurant there that I still have experience of as ownership of most has changed.
The IGA supermarket and the Paesanella cheese shop should be put on the register of National treasures.
There is a bus from the city that stops in the middle of the shopping centre so Haberfield is easy to get to without any parking problems, there is also a bit of free Council parking available.
Houses here are very expensive but you have the considerable fun of shopping at Haberfield, Ashfield, Five Dock and Leichhardt (all of which are great).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Great stuff.
Il Locale is the only restaurant there that I still have experience of as ownership of most has changed.
We were at Napoli in Bocca last week and the staff didn't seem quite as rude. Food still simple and fantastic!

Thanks for the pics Fabian - captures Haberfield shops pretty well.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
We were at Napoli in Bocca last week and the staff didn't seem quite as rude. Food still simple and fantastic!

Thanks for the pics Fabian - captures Haberfield shops pretty well.
I have not met with any rudeness at Napoli in Bocca but do recall that the front of house woman at La Disfida appeared to be quite mad. I had a small nephew who loved their pizza but I would not go there due to the relentlessly bad behaviour of the woman. I think she has sold out (or been put away) and the current restaurant is OK.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff.
I lived at Ashfield for many years and liked to shop (and dine) at Haberfield.
The IGA supermarket and the Paesanella cheese shop should be put on the register of National treasures.
There is a bus from the city that stops in the middle of the shopping centre so Haberfield is easy to get to without any parking problems, there is also a bit of free Council parking available.
Houses here are very expensive but you have the considerable fun of shopping at Haberfield, Ashfield, Five Dock and Leichhardt (all of which are great).
The 438 goes through there and takes about 20 minutes if I recall to get into town and goes through Norton Street, Leichhardt. Also goes to Five Dock so you can cover the hubs of little Italy.

There is also a bus service that goes through to Ashfield Station for rail travellers.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These photos I took away from the town centre as I went to explore some of the streets and their famous post federation homes.

IMG_2109

IMG_2110

IMG_2111

IMG_2113

IMG_2114

IMG_2117

IMG_2121

IMG_2122

IMG_2124

IMG_2127

IMG_2128

IMG_2136

Streets are named after prominent figures of the time e.g. Alfred Deakin.

IMG_2140

IMG_2141

1 - 6 of 6 Posts