SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by The Collector's thread on Melbourne streets, I'd like to offer you with a Sydney equvialent.

I am hoping to collate a collection of shots on each major street in the Sydney CBD.

The first cab off the rank is Martin Place. The vast majority of shots were taken last week, but there are other shots from the past three years that worthy of being posted.

No 1 Martin Place (Old GPO)

The Centopah

ANZ

Commonwealth Bank

It's famous fountain

Ye Olde MLC Building

And it's newer, taller and slimmer brother - MLC Tower

And it's famous mushroom

As made famous by the money boxes of the Commonwealth Bank

Channel 7 (Colonial Centre)

The home of the Reserve Bank

Sydney Hospital

Lets go home

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Great tour Fabian. I just wish the Channel 7 tickers were still running (they were turned off for silly Council safety reasons). They were soooo high-tech!

·
Here
6,589 Posts
It is more of a public square rather then a pedestrian shopping mall. The shops in the area are usually contained within the ground and basement floors of the buildings, rather then on the public thoroughfares themselves.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
There were hardly any retail outlets on Martin Place up until a couple of years ago. I think maybe the GPO conversion brought more of that element to the area. Also the lack of opportunities to hire retail space along the traditional upmarket Castelreagh St stretch from Martin Place & Market St. The jewellers Fairfax & Roberts, the MLC Centre shopping centre & another 1 or 2 outlets were virtually the only stores around. Now we have Emporio Armani, Tiffany & even a Starbucks (on street level of the CML Building ie. the facadist mid-riser on the corner of Pitt & Martin Place) along the strip.

Martin Place is out with the old and Chifley Square with its surrounds is now in with big business. Westpac's Sydney head office as we know "jumped ship" so to speak and has only left a rep branch. The Reserve Bank needs a new building altogether IMO.

The 70s building in the background in the pic below has always had retail of some kind @ its base - the most recent addition, the beforementioned Tiffany which required a refurb. Otherwise there is a menswear store and an eatery on the Liz Street side I think.

And it's famous mushroom

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
wow, theres nothing like this in melbourne!!

great pics.

But it wasnt really worth the time and effort if you didnt even get snaps of Mel n Kochie was it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I LOVE Martin Place, but I HATE skateboarders there!!
Why can't we ban skateboarding in the public square?
Their jumping tricks are damaging the public properties and the pavement of beautiful Martin Place.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a CBD wide problem at weekends. It's not just in Martin Place. They also congregate around St Marys Cathedral.

At lunchtime on any given working day, It's the place to be!!!

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
I LOVE Martin Place, but I HATE skateboarders there!!
Why can't we ban skateboarding in the public square?
Their jumping tricks are damaging the public properties and the pavement of beautiful Martin Place.
Oh, those naughty skateboarders. You tell them, nana. Maybe you should write a letter to Leo Schofield or something.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Oh, those naughty skateboarders. You tell them, nana. Maybe you should write a letter to Leo Schofield or something.
some simple fishing line tied tightly between various poles/benches etc. around the place would be sufficient :shifty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts