Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some photos I took recently in North Sydney

Victoria Cross (Pacific Highway & Miller St)
The old building is the North Sydney Post Office.

80 Pacific Highway

Miller Street

MLC Building - North Sydney's first skyscraper from 1957

Mount Street Mall

Beau Monde rises over the Berry Square

Walker Street

Old North Sydney Fire Station

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
God, I remember having nights out in North Sydney when Northpoint and Berry Street Hotel were still open. Now I am showing my age...

It's a strange area - the place seems devoid of activity at night, whereas drive up the road to Crowy and it's bustling. Haven't been for a few years, maybe times have changed. Thanks for the update Mr Fab Ian. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's sad Chatswood is getting bigger buildings than North Syd. Does anyone know the reason for this apart from it being the work of Nimby's?

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Yes, the Chatswood buildings are apartment buildings, Chatswood has proximity to the rail line and fast route to the city, many up market shops and there are two large shopping centres on one street! The area has a busy vibrancy and nice diversity.
North Sydney is rather sterile out side of week days being a very corporate area, I am guessing Chatswood is a more appealing place to live.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was Part 3A of the NSW Planning Act that allowed "state significant" developments under the former Labor Government to be approved by the NSW Planning Department, and developers wanting to build in Chatswood took advantage of that, and often ignore council planning policy.

North Sydney has found it hard to build new buildings. Improvements to North Sydney Station mean that more can access North Sydney and there are several new towers planned. They are slightly shorter than Northpoint but will be great for North Sydney. Keep in mind that filling office space in North Sydney is a little harder too - 10 % vacancy rate.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to attract tourists and buisiness' from overseas by encouraging development near the CBD. Paramatta and Chatswood no matter how good they are will ever be close enough to the city to be attractive to someone wanting to go to Sydney as much as something in the CBD or very nearby (N Syd) will be. Its time N syd got a 500m

·
Registered
268 Posts
Or they could just demolish all of western sydney and replace it with farmland and build a metro in the inner city for all those suburbs to house all the displaced all those from the western suburbs. :lol:
I ironically live in the south-western suburbs (or midbelt, not exactly sure where the boundary is, not in a Mc-mansion though unfortunately) and public transport is quite good (use it almost everyday), it's just that everyone is car happy over here. Mabye if they start a giant brain surgery clinic to in moss vale "ecourage" the use of public transport we wont need to build any more lines.
I know the north west has little public transport but the area should never have been built. If you want to live in a Mc-mansion live in Albury.
:cheers: :bash: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Parramatta already has good transport links. It is the major suburban hub for high frequency Metrobus and T-way services, as well as countless other bus routes, with varying levels of service. It also has a major train station, although the Cumberland line's services need beefing up if we want people from the SW to use PT to get to Parramatta.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Parramatta is also close to the geographical centre of Sydney as well, and that only makes it more appealing.

Just wait and see how it develops over the next decade.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's the problem developing Parramatta is just turning Syd into the archetypal boring city.
What world landmarks are in Parra? None
Why would any tourist want to travel the earth to see Parra? None
What global corporation would want to put it's headquarters in Parra? None

Developing Parra and further sprawling is splitting this city in two and making both halves weaker globally. We should rather then encourage business parks encourage towers in the CBD and North Sydney. We should also try and add another landmark or two.

When the planners of the late 19th century established the Royal National Park and Kuringai national park they made a mistake. They did not build a similarly sized park in the west at a similar distance. The only real boundary to the west in the Blue Mountain which are more than 50km.

We need to greatly densify the eastern half of Sydney to use it's natural assets to it's full potential. Unfortunately there is very little of geographical interest in the west and so to keep this city as unique as it is the east must get much taller and the west needs to stay the same or decline.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Well said TimeVulture! The CBD needs to be made more attractive with more transportation links to the west to reduce the incentive to build up Parramatta. A high speed rail link to Penrith for example, that was proposed and canned, bring it back!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts