SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the Sheffield Forum started a threat about this article on the Guardian website. Thought it might be of interest to a few people on here...

http://society.guardian.co.uk/communities/story/0,,1781234,00.html

I think it hits the nail right on the head and does put things in perspective really! Swanky offices, tall apartments blocks and nice shopping centres are great and key to a cities success, but are there more important things??

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Interesting article. Couple of points.

1)I'm a Sheffielder, but have never heard the city referred to as "Sheffo".

2)I couldn't understand the desire to preserve the Tinsley cooling towers as "Sheffield is the first city in the north of England, and these towers stand as a gateway . . . for those coming home or going away". Surely anyone heading to Sheffield from the south would have turned off the M1 long before they got within sight of the towers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he means that for people who are coming from the south, driving up the M1 through and past Sheffield, Sheffield would be the first city they would hit in the north of England. The cooling towers would then act as sort of a gateway, kind of a 'Welcome to the North'.

·
E = MC²
5,539 Posts
To be honest anyone coming up the M1 past sheffield will be fully aware of the city because it tours around the western fringes of the outskirts and there are several ( maybe 5 or 6) junctions with Sheffield on them. Probably more than any other city. And N after sheffield the motorway becomes a crazy rollercoaster with its ups and downs and lurching to the right and left.
It is my belief that we should revert to the original plan and rename the M18 as the northern part of the M1 afterall the top of the M1 is just the Sheffield and Barnsley Bypass..

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
muddycoffee said:
afterall the top of the M1 is just the Sheffield and Barnsley Bypass..
:) :cheers1:

As for "Sheffo", I think it's a student thing. Stephenson Halls of Residence are commonly called "Stevo" by the wanker who inhabit them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts