SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 690 Posts

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Nice idea but I think you're kidding yourself if you that's at all likely! Probably about half the buildings you want to demolish were built in the last ten years and it includes the major development site at first street.

I bashed this out once, an idea for a central park in that area. Only really requires some major road reworking/rebuilding St Paul's Primary school.

Nottingham has sometime similar called the Chase (not a pun honest).

It is just a green strip. Not that impressive.

For that you need lines of lime trees, jugglers, an olde worldy roundabout and attractive continental couples with immaculately behaved children.

That's impressive.

Yeah Hulme.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
A central park at Origin's site on Princess Street would do me. Surrounded by nice buildings and just off Canal Street it would be fantastic.
Good point.

A sad piece of land. Cursed maybe. It was one of many disused warehouses round that area and lo and behold it is rumored special erm lightning caused it to be erm spontaneously ignite and then demolished in the mid 80s.

Shame really as all the other buildings around were converted. Small fortunes were made whilst poor flatten Brazil Place lay empty.

Then of course along comes Origin. And again the curse. That poor Chinese bloke in the bath on the hoardings looks mire and more forlorn every time I pass by.

So with the suggestion of damning this cursing land into a nice little corner park. Brazil Place has a cute ring about it. I wonder what in real time is the status of this land. At what point does MCC try to CPO this grotesque spot?

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Answered my own question, NAMA.

To which I purpose my fellow citizens from the emerald isle should donate the land as a park dedicated to the great genius Oscar Wilde, who would have appreciated with bitter tears in his eyes, being remembered next to the New Union as the Sunday night karaoke kicks in.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Leeds has one? What the hell is there to see in Leeds?
indeed it does. i've been in leeds 3 years now but decided to be a tourist over the summer and take the sightseeing bus... a few interesting facts about places like the Civic Hall, Millennium Square and the waterfront but the route could definitely be improved.

btw, i'd like to see your Spinningfields extension go up too although fiction will have to do for now ;)

your point 2 about the borders is also one that i'm a fan of for Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. anything to take power away from London would make me happy :lol:

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Nottingham has sometime similar called the Chase (not a pun honest).

It is just a green strip. Not that impressive.

For that you need lines of lime trees, jugglers, an olde worldy roundabout and attractive continental couples with immaculately behaved children.

That's impressive.

Yeah Hulme.
Well you couldn't have it exactly as green and as parky as that now because of the new MMU building, but you could still have some sort of pedestrianised strip connecting Hulme with First Street. This + what tomegranate was suggesting -

That's funny, just the other day I was thinking: cover over Princess road and open it up as a public space to reconnect Hulme to the rest of the southern suburbs. It's already in a deep trench. Few dozen columns, couple of hundred concrete slabs, few tons of topsoil, jobs a good un.
would be quite something. Imagine being able to cycle to town from Fallowfield or Chorlton without having to tackle any road.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
indeed it does. i've been in leeds 3 years now but decided to be a tourist over the summer and take the sightseeing bus... a few interesting facts about places like the Civic Hall, Millennium Square and the waterfront but the route could definitely be improved.

btw, i'd like to see your Spinningfields extension go up too although fiction will have to do for now ;)

your point 2 about the borders is also one that i'm a fan of for Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. anything to take power away from London would make me happy :lol:
Gosh, just had a re-read of that myself, I'd forgotten all about it! Thanks though :)

If an open top tour can work in Leeds it can surely work in Manchester? The only trouble would be when it tours around Old Trafford for the United fans and then dots straight over to the Etihad for the City fans all the United fans would get off :lol:

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
VOLDY'S MANCHESTER RAIL MAPS

I know people love looking at maps (myself included) so I'm putting this post on my signature so that people can indulge in some of the maps I've created of present and future Metrolink/rail/canal boat services in Manchester. I'll keep on updating this page every now and again with new maps for you to look at :)

"Manchester Connections" Map December 2012
How the Metrolink & Manchester Rail Combined map will appear by December. Doesn't include the ELR, Guide Bridge to Stockport or Guide Bridge to Stalybridge sections.
Click here to see this map

"Manchester Connections" Map 2019
... the Metrolink Phase 3 extensions, Port Salford Line & local railway lines operated by various companies. Doesn't include the ELR, Guide Bridge to Stockport or Guide Bridge to Stalybridge sections.
Click here to view this map

Manchester Metrolink December 2012
... how the map should appear in December, once the connections to Oldham Mumps (temp) and Velopark have been completed.

Manchester Metrolink 2019
... with Port Salford and Hazel Grove extensions, as well as an extension of the Altrincham Line to Ashley Heath

Manchester Metrolink 2031
...with all the possible tram extensions plus any tram-train/train extensions

·
Registered
25,886 Posts
Does no one else think that Market St should be de-pedestrianised?

Cobble the streets so it looks like the bit of road in front of St Anne's Church, add in some authentic-looking Victorian lamposts and you're set. T'wud be gorgeous. And think how lively it would be! All the cars hooting by and the thousands of people who make Market St as it is now busy, all shifted onto a narrower walking space. Ah the buzz.

Oh and more cafes and restaurants down there. See the first image; I want more awnings and things. Market St needs to retain life into the night

"No, Voldy, you're being too positive and optimistic and forward thinking. The best way out of recession is to be NEGATIVE and think NEGATIVE things all the time."

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
"No, Voldy, you're being too positive and optimistic and forward thinking. The best way out of recession is to be NEGATIVE and think NEGATIVE things all the time."
And there's me thinking the best way out of a recession was to do your best to decimate one of Manchester's most valuable industries.

·
Registered
17,474 Posts
If you were to de-pedestrianise Market Street, you would be ruining one of Manchesters busiest streets. As others have said the shop owners would be mighty displeased as the way Market Street now, it is a safe area to shop, even it it does get crowded at times. Also if you have been down Market Street this week, the stonework has been totally cleaned up, which makes a huge difference indeed.

You say imagine how lively it would be VDB, but walk down Market Street this week or any week and you will see many street performers, yes some might be bad, but they add a vibrancy to the street. Also from personnal experience the street performers, attract photographers down the street, which represents the city in another way too.

·
Registered
25,886 Posts
Fair enough, I just wanted a public opinion. I only stumbled across those old pictures and thought "dang, that looks good:)". I'm happy with Market St now, they're much worse areas in Manchester (like High St) which need improving on before messing about with Market St.

Good that the tiles have been cleaned up, thanks flange.

I'd like to see more street performers in Exchange Square now that the wheel has gone. What's MCC's policy about street performers? Do they encourage or discourage it?

EDIT; One last thing. What's everyone's opinion about getting rid of the food court? The view towards the Royal Exchange would be great..

201 - 220 of 690 Posts