Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there's a thread for this building in the skyscrapers main page but not in taiwan forum, for some reason. at least i couldnt find it.

this building would look much better if they clad it in glass and metal instead of the mucky brown stone material. and have no idea why the top portion is white colored.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
atleast it blends in with the other buildings :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually like the retro design, except for the ball thingy on top, oh and it should be twice as tall of course. :D

that ball is for new year's eve and will drop for countdown. they copy from nyc's times square. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
you know this building is in Taiwan because there's tiles on it! hahahaha :D

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess there's 2 threads for this building in this forum. i said this in the other thread thats in the general skyscraper section:

the design looks very "chinese" to me like it belongs in china - you know, tacky. i really dont understand that ball and the brown/white color combo. is c.y. lee gonna retire yet?? i'm sure he's at retirement age by now...i hope...i hope...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It doesn't really blend into the surrounding but the building design alone is not bad, but it could be better.. hopefully the Cathay building will be better

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Oh, and the lack of glass just killed it! It is more expensive to get the walls than glass I would imagine.. WHY the thick walls?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
there's a lot that's wrong with the design. to me, one thing sums it up: OVERDESIGN. c.y.lee and many taiwanese architects just tend to overdesign, adding TOO MANY elements together creating a jumbled mess hence TACKY design. just look at the top portion of the building and the list of elements not in any particular order:

1. the white section with vertical columns against the brown section with a box/checkerboard type design (i dont know the correct architectural name for it). at least just continue the vertical columns down the entire length of the building and make it one color and it would be a much cleaner design!
  2. the brown/white color combo
  3. the see-thru ball/steeple with horizontal rings
  4. the see-thru curved rounded roof (juxtaposed against the straight lines of the building)
  5. the red logo/emblems
  6. the glass corner windows with curved upswept roofline in the white section
  7. the beveled corner windows in the brown section
  8. the inset box-within-a-box and small windows-within-a-box design in the brown section (which is VERY COMMON in taiwanese architecture and which annoys the heck out of me!!! they are EVERYWHERE in apartment designs and some office buildings!!! why not just make it a flush wall instead of always insetting the windows? and many times there are no windows - they just inset a box and fill the box with another wall!! if you gonna create a box why not put a big window there then??? :bash:

and yes it would be much better if the entire building was at least cladded mostly in glass!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts