SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brooklyn Square, next to the Brooklyn Mall has struggled since it was built in 1999. Retail never really took off, they had this massive parking structure (with no cars). Later on restaurants started opening, and this brought life to the area (Cofi, Cuppocino's, Ocean Basket, TriBeca, Wimpy, Natasha's and Melissa's). The Waterkloof library is also a part of this shopping complex. Still, the faux Italian facades looked cheap. The 'water-feature' down the middle of the "high street" was disgusting, and looked cheap.

When Pick and Pay opened, the shopping centre attracted more shoppers. Some good quality interior design outlets can be found. The Spur was destroyed in a fire two years ago. And now, after the fire, this bland place is getting a new lease on life. Funky new eateries, new coffee shops (Vida being one of them), select designer outlets (like Nataniels shop, KaalKop).

Fashion Square is born.

The old facades - look at the wacky towers (yuck)

From TriBeca

And now, the New

The Library

CoFi - FTV is just down the street

New Streetcafes set to open here

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
FTV? ANOTHER FTV Bar? Oh my goodness.... like how many are there now? Sandton (the first), Fourways, Irene, Brooklyn... what's next.... East Rand Mall? This is becoming so cheap now.

·
2cloudsabove9
370 Posts
FTV? ANOTHER FTV Bar? Oh my goodness.... like how many are there now? Sandton (the first), Fourways, Irene, Brooklyn... what's next.... East Rand Mall? This is becoming so cheap now.
What are you talking about?They were never cool to begin with

·
23,072 Posts
was at this centre when i was up in pta for work 2 weeks back and it has a good feel. actually the streets in that area have a nice feel to them. was my first exposure to pta and i liked that area alot...

as for some of the other areas, not so much.

Great to see pta finally getting a Vida, cos i was asking for one and people gave me blank stares! Do they have a Gloria jeans there?

·
2cloudsabove9
370 Posts
This is part of the Brooklyn shopping complex as they also share the same parking.As for jeans i dunno who's Gloria so I guess we don't have them:)And if you had asked me for a Vida I wouldv'e blinked blankly also,kindly reminding you what stadt you're in

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
was at this centre when i was up in pta for work 2 weeks back and it has a good feel. actually the streets in that area have a nice feel to them. was my first exposure to pta and i liked that area alot...

as for some of the other areas, not so much.

Great to see pta finally getting a Vida, cos i was asking for one and people gave me blank stares! Do they have a Gloria jeans there?
Actually Pretoria has a Vida already. It opened last year in the uber-chic Irene Village Mall - in Irene, Centurion.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
In Pretoria there is a store in Brooklyn
In Joburg there are full stores in Rivonia, Cedar Square, Cresta, Pineslopes, Northgate, Alberton, the Westrand and there is a kiosk (like the one at Gateway) at OR Tambo. There used to be in Sandton, Bedfordview and Eastgate too, but these have been taken over by Latte Licious.

http://www.gloriajeanscoffees.com.au/pages/store_international.asp?mfid=10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts