Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two Midwestern cities are amongst the list.

Green Leaders
--------------
Chicago, IL
Stockholm, Sweden
Portland, OR
Vancouver, BC

Start-up Hubs
----------------
Austin, TX
Madison, WI
Tuscon, AZ
London, UK

Other categories included:

Urban Innovators
-----------------------
Curitiba, Brazil
Salt Lake City, UT
Tallinn, Estonia

Creative Class Centers
---------------------------
NYC
SFO
Shanghai, China
Buenos Aires, Argentina

High Tech Hot Spots
-----------------------
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Chandigarh, India
Boise, Idaho

find the comprehensive list here:
http://www.fastcompany.com/cities/2007/

·
Registered
318 Posts
Man I hate to ask Historybuffer.., but are you the only subscriber to this so-called Fast Co. magazine..? Could it be their first and last list of cities? It just doesn't seem to have much clout.. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I hate to ask Historybuffer.., but are you the only subscriber to this so-called Fast Co. magazine..? Could it be their first and last list of cities? It just doesn't seem to have much clout.. :eek:hno:
--About circulation--
From Fast Company Magazine's web site:

Owned by Mansueto Ventures LLC., the award-winning magazine has a circulation of 725,000.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The article in the Des Moines Register today, extrapolated some of the Midwestern cities identified. Here's what they found:

ON THE VERGE IN THE MIDWEST:

- Des Moines, High-Tech Hot Spot

- Rochester, Minn., Research/Development Cluster

- Minneapolis, Green Leader

- Omaha, Culture Center

- Ann Arbor, Mich., Startup Hub

FAST CITIES 2007 IN THE MIDWEST:

- Chicago, Green Leader

- Madison, Wis., Startup Hub

SLOW CITIES:

- Detroit and St. Louis
Link to entire article: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707030387

·
Registered
73 Posts

This is a pretty popular business mag. I would assume most would be familiar with it regardless of whether they read it or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fast Company from my own readings of it as well as what I have heard about it is catered to the small business, to the entrepreneur, or to the start-up company. This would result in a different mind-set than traditional thought on what is at the top and would allow for places that normally would not be included in a study to be included. I like Fast Company although I haven't read it in a while. They usually do a pretty good job with their stuff.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe it's just the editor(s) that is (are) listing their ideas..! Surely they can give a small explanation for their findings..! St.Louis and Havana are not in the same category. I honestly think anyone on this forum could have given a better example and list..! :cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
^Keep in mind its going to take a small business/start-up mind set. The best places for those tend to be places that are relatively cheap (although Chicago isn't relatively cheap compared to the cities it did list) which tend to be smaller areas.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This list doesn't make sense
LOL, welcome to Fast Company.

Tom Frank, in the Baffler, did a pretty good sendup of this mag a while back, back in the 1990s, when it was the mag of the infotech boom to some extent. It might have repostiioned after the bust, it was a hoot to read back then, due to its "lifestyle" pretensions and Tom Peters style of writing.

The mag for small buisiness used to be Inc.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ON THE VERGE IN THE MIDWEST:

- Des Moines, High-Tech Hot Spot

- Rochester, Minn., Research/Development Cluster

- Minneapolis, Green Leader

- Omaha, Culture Center

- Ann Arbor, Mich., Startup Hub

FAST CITIES 2007 IN THE MIDWEST:

- Chicago, Green Leader

- Madison, Wis., Startup Hub

SLOW CITIES:

- Detroit and St. Louis
What's this nonsense about "Slow Cities" what's the point
of that? So that label helps young, up-start companies
to avoid Detroit and Saint Louis like the plague?
That's a useless, unwarrented category.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I personally e-mailed this so-called Fast Co. and told them their list is BS and had already been locked out already on the SSC..! I recommended they do a little research before they print.. Might have been some interns that listed. Anyway, Congrats to the cities that did make the list..! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts