SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2,230 Posts
What is going in this city ….a housing crisis being told there is a housing shortage, wasteland all over the place yet out of 3,000 new homes ..the core city only gets funding for 161 . Is this because the crew now running the place didn‘t have enough qualifying schemes or did LCR reject other schemes.

· Registered
2,230 Posts
Take out the city centre flats schemes and there are virtually no homes being built in the city especially the inner areas where we need to get people living again. Housing clearance areas like Toft Street on Edge Lane are still wasteland , housing promised at Project Jennifer not built , never mind Big Joes bullshit about 20,000 new homes. Yet Knowsley bulldozing acres of greenbelt land to build thousands of homEd.

· Registered
802 Posts
Take out the city centre flats schemes and there are virtually no homes being built in the city especially the inner areas where we need to get people living again. Housing clearance areas like Toft Street on Edge Lane are still wasteland , housing promised at Project Jennifer not built , never mind Big Joes bullshit about 20,000 new homes. Yet Knowsley bulldozing acres of greenbelt land to build thousands of homEd.

is time Knowsley (East Liverpool) and Sefton (North Liverpool) - less Southport is incorporated into the City proper. as not everyone wants to live in the City Centre!

· Registered
3,199 Posts
is time Knowsley (East Liverpool) and Sefton (North Liverpool) - less Southport is incorporated into the City proper. as not everyone wants to live in the City Centre!
As I post here often, I'd go the other way and scrap all the local councils and go for a city region admin. Population getting on for about 2 million. It's an idea whose time has come. IMHO, of course.

· Registered
96 Posts
There is a clear imbalance in housing supply in the City, skewed massively towards City Centre apartments and 1/2 bed units. The Inspector into the Liverpool Local Plan acknowledged this and advised that rebalancing the housing market was something that should be looked at holistically in the city region, ergo those wanting larger family homes will have their needs met in Knowsley, Halton, Wirral, St Helens and Sefton.

Liverpool as an authority area is so constrained that there just isn't the space to expand ; also, as its industrial legacy is so heavily weighted towards the docks, which again lend themselves to apartments by virtue of their central location; we don't have the former mill buildings/colliery's etc that other north west town's have which can be developed for housing.

· Registered
802 Posts
As I post here often, I'd go the other way and scrap all the local councils and go for a city region admin. Population getting on for about 2 million. It's an idea whose time has come. IMHO, of course.
In my opinion too. In fact has always been my opinion! 👍 It's crazy how you can cross into Bootle, Aintree, Kirkby, Cantril Farm, Huyton and Halewood from the city and not even notice you have done so! Similarly, the same applies to the huge conurbations of Glasgow and Manchester!

· Registered
2,191 Posts
There is a clear imbalance in housing supply in the City, skewed massively towards City Centre apartments and 1/2 bed units. The Inspector into the Liverpool Local Plan acknowledged this and advised that rebalancing the housing market was something that should be looked at holistically in the city region, ergo those wanting larger family homes will have their needs met in Knowsley, Halton, Wirral, St Helens and Sefton.

Liverpool as an authority area is so constrained that there just isn't the space to expand ; also, as its industrial legacy is so heavily weighted towards the docks, which again lend themselves to apartments by virtue of their central location; we don't have the former mill buildings/colliery's etc that other north west town's have which can be developed for housing.
Utter rubbish.

Take a trip to the top of the Anglican cathedral, there is waste ground everywhere as far the eye can see just ripe for development.

However the margins for developers are much higher building on former farmland in Knowsley, so that’s what we get.

· Registered
3,295 Posts
However the margins for developers are much higher building on former farmland in Knowsley, so that’s what we get.
I think at least part of that relates back to land banking I recall a friend of mine trying to set up in Ropewalks but the land cost was stupid and the (well known) owner would rather sit on an empty site for years - heard anecdotally the same issue with the Norton site.

· Registered
2,230 Posts
Land values in inner Liverpool have historically been low because of the city’s decline . This meant sites that are now more sought after are in the hands of people who don’t have any funds to develop them but are asking silly prices. Apparently lots of buildings have been bought up in Ten Streets …..that’s why we are seeing a rash of plans to demolish the last remaining docklsnd buildings often with the applicants claiming it’s because they wan t to develop the land when in fact the cleared site is more valuable or failing that they can always make it a match day car park when Everton move in.
As for repopulating there hasn’t been in a plan since Militant , and that caused more harm than good.

· Registered
373 Posts

Dunno if this relates to this project but its close to Westminster Street. Checked the tax details and they're up to date with the payments. If they're true about still carrying on with this then they need to start it ASAP.
Its turning into a flying or more likely is now.

· Registered
15,034 Posts

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Of course, Malcolm Kennedy has stood down to be replaced by right winger, Dave Hanratty.

I have no desire to support Hanretty but some of the statements coming out of the Walton labour party is a bit worrying I don't know what area the constituency covers in total it's obviously not just county road and walton vale . but what does free football to marginalised groups mean no offence I just want to know what that means , so they will turn some people away if it doesn't suit there criteria , I could be totally wrong , it's just when they come out with these types of statements it's not very clear , also how diverse they are and the BAME community this a made up word from ideologists , that many people who they think are in this group don't actually like to associated as BAME .
Walton is probably still 99% white there's nothing racist in saying that yes there has been new groups that have moved into the area . But when are these ideologists going to realise that councillors role are to represent every individual in the ward and not 10% of the ward from different groups . I was walking through Rice lane farm once and about a hundred labour party members where holding a meeting in a field , think it was Alan Gibbins going on about Lenin and they were holding up their Palestinian flags , even though there is conflict around the world they never talk about .
I just thought aren't you better going on about local issues in the present day that effect ordinary people who go to work everyday from the area

· Registered
15,034 Posts
I have no desire to support Hanretty but some of the statements coming out of the Walton labour party is a bit worrying I don't know what area the constituency covers in total it's obviously not just county road and walton vale . but what does free football to marginalised groups mean no offence I just want to know what that means , so they will turn some people away if it doesn't suit there criteria , I could be totally wrong , it's just when they come out with these types of statements it's not very clear , also how diverse they are and the BAME community this a made up word from ideologists , that many people who they think are in this group don't actually like to associated as BAME .
Walton is probably still 99% white there's nothing racist in saying that yes there has been new groups that have moved into the area . But when are these ideologists going to realise that councillors role are to represent every individual in the ward and not 10% of the ward from different groups . I was walking through Rice lane farm once and about a hundred labour party members where holding a meeting in a field , think it was Alan Gibbins going on about Lenin and they were holding up their Palestinian flags , even though there is conflict around the world they never talk about .
I just thought aren't you better going on about local issues in the present day that effect ordinary people who go to work everyday from the area

Ye, the article I posted is 4 years old like, but I thought that it gave an impression of Hanratty. To be upfront I thought it suggested quite a paranoid profile with a portrayal of enemies on the left out to get him.
I lived through the militant years and this isn't comparable, there's a danger of Labour going too far to the right, as well as the left.

· Registered
2,151 Posts
far left and far right are just as bad as each other they think everyone has to be cloned into their way of thinking what society we should live within and both will use any underhand evil tricks if it suits their means the far right are off the scale but the far left aren't so far behind . I'll leave it at that because this is about a development in Kirkdale that has been derelict for years and is a symbol of corruption that this city has suffered far to long at the expense of local communities .

· Registered
802 Posts
far left and far right are just as bad as each other they think everyone has to be cloned into their way of thinking what society we should live within and both will use any underhand evil tricks if it suits their means the far right are off the scale but the far left aren't so far behind . I'll leave it at that because this is about a development in Kirkdale that has been derelict for years and is a symbol of corruption that this city has suffered far to long at the expense of local communities .

I went past this site the other day and some of the hoardings had been dragged down (on the Smith Street side). But very little building activity going on. And by very little, I mean absolutely nothing! 😳🥺🥱

41 - 59 of 59 Posts