Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
centralnatbankbuildingrva
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, My Favorite would be NYC (probably a common one)

and my least would be Charlotte NC (I don't consider it to me much of a city at all, plus they have taken many southeast branches of banks and such that used to be in my hometown.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Too tough a call for me to make. There are so many things to like or not like about every US city.

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
I live in one of my favorites, San Francisco, and if it weren't one of my faves I wouldn't live here. There are only a few other US cities I consider visit-worthy (which is different from living there which I'll explain in a minute):

New York, New Orleans, Chicago, Boston, Seattle, Miami, maybe (if you've never spent time there before) Washington, DC - and probably in about that order though there are considerations like the time of year and your tolerance for heat or cold.

As for the difference between visiting and living there, for visiting I put a high premium on things for non-residents to do and, especially, the ability to get to them. Los Angeles, for example, has plenty to do but it's so spread out it's hard, really, to do a lot in a short visit without wasting a lot of time driving. As a place to live, it's a lot better than as a place to visit.

New York not only has a nearly infinite amount to do but it's accessible via the subway system. In New Orleans, everything's pretty tightly clustered within walking distance (or by using the St Charles streetcar). Chicago also has an excellent rail transit system and the others mentioned are adequate. DC may deserve a higher rating than I give it--I grew up there and I hear it's a lot better than it used to be, certainly in respect of transit.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
I'm pretty sure this thread is considered "city vs. city" and won't be allowed to continue.
That's the impression I got initially, Jennifat. No way am I going to say what American city is my least favorite, but I'll let the mod directly over this forum determine whether it stays or not.

·
39,238 Posts
I'll just stick to the ones that interest me the most:

New York
Boston
Washington
New Orleans
San Francisco
Los Angeles

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would move back to the US if I had a job offer with a better salary / benefits package than I'm receiving now and if it were in one of these cities or its immediate, transit-available suburbs:

Boston
New York
San Francisco

I love to visit, but would not consider living in:

New Orleans
Providence
Charleston
Boise
Portland ME
Honolulu
Baltimore
Houston

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
I love New York and Chicago, but it's too cold in the winter. I love San Francisco, but it's too cold in the summer. Miami is too hot all year round, but that's what I'm used to. My least favorite city would be any one with no skyscrapers.:):cheers:

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
My least favorite city would be any one with no skyscrapers.:):cheers:
Really? Because Washington DC has virtually no skyscrapers but it has other things to recommend it. And most of the European cities most urbanophiles so admire were, at least until recently, fairly skyscraper-free.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I love New York and Chicago, but it's too cold in the winter. I love San Francisco, but it's too cold in the summer. Miami is too hot all year round, but that's what I'm used to. My least favorite city would be any one with no skyscrapers.:):cheers:
Wow I love Miami in the winter...it's almost perfect to me, but that's just one person's opinion. :)

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Really? Because Washington DC has virtually no skyscrapers but it has other things to recommend it. And most of the European cities most urbanophiles so admire were, at least until recently, fairly skyscraper-free.
Yes, really. I've been to Washington once in my life - 1979. Have never gone back. I've never been to Europe and have no desire to go. After seeing my photography work on Chicago, one forumer said he'd like to see what I do with Washington. I'm sorry, but I have no desire to photograph Washington. I could never be president because I would have to live there.

You are hard to please. :lol:
Wow I love Miami in the winter...it's almost perfect to me, but that's just one person's opinion. :)
I just wish it would get a little cooler down here in the winter or that we had a few more cooler days. I find myself thanking God for every cold front that makes it this far south. :lol::cheers:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Besides, Chicago (my hometown :lol:) I would have to say NYC, SF, Miami.

There's really no city I dislike because EVERY city has something new to offer. There are some not in my interest but that doesnt mean I dislike them.

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,542 Posts
My favorites are San Diego, New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland.... Least favorite are Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit and New Orleans.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My favorites are San Diego, New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland.... Least favorite are Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit and New Orleans.
it seems like a lot of people from Miami hate Miami. i get it, but its usually not because of the city itself but from the masses of people and to much traffic, right?:cheers:

1 - 20 of 255 Posts