SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite midwest city and why? Let's exclude Chicago from this one. So other than Chicago what is your fav midwest city?

Mine would have to be Madison. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities, and for a city its size it has a lot to do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why exclude Chicago? Don't assume its everyone's favorite, although I absolutely love Chicago, don't get me wrong...it was not fun when I was there and the Cardinals got swept by the Cubs two weeks ago...whole 'nother story :)

Can I pick a favorite one? Of couse St. Louis! Bias of couse, but my other favorite midwest cities are Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Kansas City. Why? I'm sure most of us here could and have argued all day long what makes each one superior to the other, but because all midwest cities have their own little quirks is makes me proud to live here. Actually, any city in the midwest is my favorite, we are all awesome.

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,820 Posts
After painfully excluding Chicago from this list, I would say Milwaukee. Pound for pound this is arguably the most urban city left, great people, great lake, great architecture, great progress, great state, great access to Chicago, plus a little bit of hometown pride.

·
Live from red brick mama
368 Posts
araman0 said:
After painfully excluding Chicago from this list, I would say Milwaukee. Pound for pound this is arguably the most urban city left, great people, great lake, great architecture, great progress, great state, great access to Chicago, plus a little bit of hometown pride.
With no rapid transit system, there's no way Milwaukee can claim to be the most urban midwestern city outside Chicago.

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,820 Posts
I agree. That is IMHO Milwaukee's biggest downfall, but they are working on it right now. I have a lot of respect for progressive cities which either have rapid transit, (St. Louis, Cleveland, and Minneapolis) or are working on building rapid transit (Minneapolis, Indy, Milwaukee).

But as far as retaining, rebuilding, and new construction of dense walkable neighborhoods go, Milwaukee definitely ranks up there.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
I don't think Chicago should be excluded from this question, because it is presumptuous to think that it is automatically everyone's favorite city. My favorite Midwest city besides St. Louis? Chicago, followed by Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati, in no particular order.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I always reply to this question by stating my opinion that Chicago is the "best" Midwest city, but my favorite is Detroit. I love indulging in Chicago's "perfectness", but at the end of the day, I just find so much more inspiration through Detroit's chaos and randomness.

I love most Midwest cities, and they all offer flavor that can't be found in other parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
large
chicago, milwaukee, minneapolis, st louis, madison
medium
sheboygan, la crosse, debuque & toledo.
small
sturgeon bay, houghton,mi., wisconsin dells!, sister bay, and two rivers, wis

alot of great cities out there

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
STLgasm said:
With no rapid transit system, there's no way Milwaukee can claim to be the most urban midwestern city outside Chicago.
milwaukee will have it soon...give it time

·
Banned
592 Posts
also disregarding my bias towards Milwaukee and Chicago my favorites would be Minneapolis, St Louis, Indy and then Madison

·
Central Illinoisan
170 Posts
Large
Chicago, St.Louis, Cinci, Mppls.

Medium
Decatur, Duluth, Springfield

Small
Wausau (maybe that's a medium), Saugatuck,

·
Registered
834 Posts
Saugatuck isn't much more than a collectioin of art galleries.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
1 Chicago-skyscrapers, great cuisine, world city
2 Saint Louis The arch is magnificent/beautiful city
3 Omaha-don't know much about it but seems like nice college city
4 Kansas City
5 Minneapolis
6Fargo

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
oops forgot milwaukee--squeeze that in between KC and Minneapolis (I love the Bucks)

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
chicago - it's the midwest's answer to new york
detroit - even in its diminished state, it's still a gem
cinncy - best city in OH but i like cleveland too
st. louis - it's saint fuckin' louis
kansas city (MO) - very under appreciated

never been to minneapolis or milwaukee but they appear5to be great as well.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts