Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Tampa

Votes: 4 8.9%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what everyone's favorite stadiums in the South are and why?
I pick the Superdome because of how it fits into the skyline and its the first thing you see when you go into the city from the west.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I had to go with the Superdome, as well. With recent renovations and more to come after this season, along with a Superbowl on the way in 2013, it is the most luxorious NFL arena in the SE. It may not be the newest, or the largest, but, it has truly transformed into the most "upscale," arena in this region. As a 35 year old mega-arena, it has developed much character and has become an iconic stadium that is known world-wide. The gameday experience is like a night and day different experience over the last decade, when many were calling for the Saints to build one of the newer more popular retractable roof stadiums. Today, I am so happy that never happened. I really never knew they could make the Superdome as nice as it is today. I thought it had to go before the storm.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stadiums that are in the suburbs or not downtown or in a thick urban area are disqualified. You should be able to walk to bars, restaurants, hotels, condos, and other attractions from stadiums and arenas in my opinion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Stadiums that are in the suburbs or not downtown or in a thick urban area are disqualified. You should be able to walk to bars, restaurants, hotels, condos, and other attractions from stadiums and arenas in my opinion.
The question doesn't ask about the stadium experience though that can be involved. What if you like the use of the stadium? The architecture? the Atmosphere of a game? It's an open ended question. Many of the College stadiums aren't that flashy as NFL but most are way louder and better experience imo and they are mostly in the middle of nowhere. Tiger Stadium at LSU definitely would be up there. As far as 'oooh ahhh' grandeur cowboys stadium takes the beat and Superdome just has so much character!.

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
Here is what I said in the other.

Easily Reliant, then Cowboys Stadium, then Everbank Field, the BofA Stadium. The others aren't close.

No offense, but I do not see how people enjoy the Superdome. I know nobody enjoys the Georgia Dome (at least those I know, and the Falcons are talking about a replacement) so why would anyone enjoy the Superdome?

Also, I did not know Memphis had an NFL stadium??

Also following Everbank would be BofA Stadium in Charlotte imo. It looks like a nice stadium and is fairly centrally located.

The Jags stadium is outdoors, which imo is nicer than indoors, especially since the weather is usually great. It has the Bud Zone, 2 floors of skyboxes, and the Touchdown Club is great (where I will be going to a party in November hosted by none other than the CEO of Everbank's wife and a few other moms including mine ha...though we're too poor to pay for much of the party lol). Also BCBS has naming rights on the practice fields and entertainment zone around the stadium. Tailgating at Everbank is the best in the south.

The reasons why I rank Reliant and Cowboys Stadium ahead is that they can be indoors or outdoors, are newer, and just ridiculously awesome. It's hard to compete with them (What Arizona, Giants Stadium...new, and Soldier Field are the only ones that can).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Seriously^^ You lke Soldier Field?? Its crappy. Its still got a lot of the crowdedness from part of the stadium being over 80 years old - as you're walking up the old concrete ramps into the stadium; the seating is just strange -- all kinds of weird levels that don't really angle toward the field very well; then there is the whole strange look of a "new" modern steel stadium dropped into an historic, stone stadium. Its not within easy walking distance of the heart of downtown Chicago (its a good mile from the southern part of downtown and about 2 miles away from the main Michigan Ave shopping area), and its one of the smallest NFL stadiums - seating only about 62,000. About the only good thing is that it looks nice from Lake Michigan with the downtown skyline behind it.

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
You're not going to find many NFL stadiums in the middle of thick urban areas because of what an NFL stadium brings. It is different from a baseball ballpark or an arena for NHL/NBA. The amount of parking, tailgating, and more is why NFL stadiums choose to go to the suburbs. In fact, I believe most NFL stadiums in the league are in the suburbs or not in thick urban locations.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Or you can quit being picky and just pick a stadium that the host team plays in and whatever city their names carry. I don't care how far it is to walk from certain amenities, it's a stadium.

I picked Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, I've been to it twice (once to see a Cowboys game, the other to just walk around). It's a fantastic stadium in every aspect, love the size but wish JJ would have provided more seats for the fans who cheer instead of putting those silly sideline suites for all the wine and cheese types.

And replying to the Soldier Field post above, you have to be unique I think or a homer (nothing wrong with that, btw) to really like Soldier Field, in my opinion. There's a reason why so many think it looks like a UFO landed on an old court house, because that's what it looks like... It's cool and all but strange. And without need to repeat everything, what GarfieldPark said.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
^^^Re: Soldier Field

Maybe because I grew up sleeping on a Bears pillow ;) I don't mind the stadium - I actually like it.
There's qualities I like about it and I really got to get a good look at everything when I went to Chicago last fall, probably spent 20-30 mins. just walking around it and taking pics.

Just saying, it's not the best stadium by any means, in my opinion.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Raymond James in Tampa to me is by far the best..Great weather-palm trees-pirate ship-and the best grass field in the NFL.

also the reasoning why it's hosted 4 Superbowls and is in the regular rotation of cities always..

Dallas and Houston are very nice as well..

New Orleans is not even close...

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
No offense to Raymond James, but it really isn't near the best. Tampa the city hosts the Super Bowl, and partly because the sportscasters/commissioners are snobby about where they host and they only like going to it and 2 other cities. Raymond James is not exactly nice (comparatively speaking) and it is definitely not in a nice part of Tampa (let alone near the core). The pirate ship is pretty cool, however.

Edit: A vote for the Superdome is in part a vote for the Georgia Dome. Why have so many people voted for Nola's and nobody has voted for Atlanta's? Doesn't make sense. If I had to venture a guess it would be for reasons other than the stadium itself.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Tampa has it's success with hosting because of hotels, venues, and weather.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edit: A vote for the Superdome is in part a vote for the Georgia Dome. Why have so many people voted for Nola's and nobody has voted for Atlanta's? Doesn't make sense. If I had to venture a guess it would be for reasons other than the stadium itself.
I think a lot of people just prefer the architecture of the Superdome over the Georgia Dome. At least, that's why I voted for it. Personally, I find the Georgia Dome kind of ugly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No offense to Raymond James, but it really isn't near the best. Tampa the city hosts the Super Bowl, and partly because the sportscasters/commissioners are snobby about where they host and they only like going to it and 2 other cities. Raymond James is not exactly nice (comparatively speaking) and it is definitely not in a nice part of Tampa (let alone near the core). The pirate ship is pretty cool, however.

I have to disagree with you the staduim, is in a great area it's right next to 2 hospitals the main north-south corridor road. Close to Tampa International. Plus the land surrounding the staduim has great talgaiting areas.. and it is in the heart of the Spanish district West Tampa... Really no crime at all as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts