• Other, specify

Votes: 10 20.8%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vote for your 3 favorite.
Consider things like cities, natural beauty, recreation, etc.

I purposely left out the Mississippi and Missouri River because they are not exclusive to the Southeast.

If I have left out any major ones, then shame on me.
If you choose other, be sure the river is exclusive to the Southeast.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
actually on a different thread

Colorado River in TX (it is completely seperate from the Colorado River in AZ that made the Grand Canyon). If you look in the Austin, TX thread at the pics referred to as Lake Travis, or Lake Austin, as well as the river through downtown, these are all the Colorado. A system of dams form what is known as the Highland Lakes. I believe it begins in west TX near the New Mexico border; and travels to the Gulf of Mexico emptying into Matagorda Bay.

Correction: There are no pics of the Colorado River in the Austin, TX thread on this page; I did see one with some excellent shots, though. I cannot remember where, unfortanately.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
No Cape Fear River? I just like the name Cape Fear! :lol:

Nothing beats "The Hooch" and Tennessee River in my opinion! I also like the Savannah. You had my three favorites listed. You've got to kayak the Chattahoochee in North Georgia! It's beautiful! If you haven't done that, put it on your top ten list of things to do this Summer! You also have to take a sunset riverboat ride down the Tennessee River in the Summer or Fall. Very beautiful!

I would've voted for the French Broad River as a third choice if it was listed, but it may have been a biased vote. :D

·
UGA1
461 Posts
The Chattahoochee River that flows north of Atlanta, through Columbus, and down to the Gulf of Mexico is a beautiful river. In Columbus, they are tearing down some dams which will bring the river to its natural flow like it was 150 years ago. From that it will create some of the best whitewater rafting in the Southeast. If anyone likes whitewater rafting, you have got to try this section of the river when they get finished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another incredible river is the Altamaha in SE Georgia. It looks like the Amazon, very wide and lots of alligators, and other critters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ll have to go with the Nantahala (whitewater mecca to the southeastern U.S. located in southwestern N.C.) The Nolichucky (Western N.C., Eastern Tenn.), which flows through one of the deepest and most pristine valleys in the east. My other favorite is the Haw River (central N.C.) because it is the closest whitewater to my house. Can you tell I like to paddle? :yes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not a river expert, nor do I travel to visit rivers, but I love the Guadaloupe. I love grabbing a group of 10 friends and some beverages, heading down to New Braunfels, and just floating the Guadaloupe. That is a perfect spring/summer day.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
MattSal said:
^I'd heard they were going to tear down the damns. Have they started yet?
I do not think they have started. I think the Army Corp of Engineers is still doing their study. I would expect to see some activity soon though.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
1. Broad River (N.C.) Great tubin'

foto by Tammy Rogers

2. Wekiva (FL) Great canoeing

foto by Mary Colby McKey

3. Levisa Fork (E. KY) Great rafting

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Its not just my bias talking, but the James blows all other away.

Just the rang of landscapes through which it flows (the fresh waters and open meadows of the Blue Ridge Mountains, rolling hills of the Piedmont, farm land of western Tidewater, the broad salt marshes further downstream, to the choppy waters of the Chesapeake Bay). It is probably the widest on this list (over 7 miles at Newport News).

It serves as a backdrop for Lynchburg, Richmond, Newport News and Norfolk.

The history made on it speaks for itself.

There are massive bridges spanning her (including a cable suspended bridge just east of Richmond) and multiple tunnels underneath (can’t think of any other southern rivers, aside form the Elizabeth in Norfolk, with tunnels, are there?). The shipyard at Newport News churns out aircraft carriers, cruise ships and nuclear submarines, the assortment of ships provided by the US Navy and the large international shipping vessels always make a trip over her bridges a treat. The commercial fishing boats add charm where sail boats choked so thick in her waters as to make navigation difficult on warm summer days neglect to. The river at Richmond and Lynchburg is rocky and fresh and ripe with rafting parties, kayakers and fishermen. The flat water between the two host hundreds of intertubing guys and gals daily in the summer.

The Atlantic sturgeon has made a come back in the last few years. They have been spotted in excess of 6 feet swimming in the cool pools beneath Richmond bridges (historically they grew up to 1,00 pounds and boys would ride them for fun).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Obviously, I'm biased, but it's the Yadkin for me. It's sense of place, it's broad expanse, and it's now recognized nationally, nay internationally, as wine country.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Potomac, I like because I live right along it in Arlington, and James for the history, but Tennessee I like b/c eventhough I don't like U of Tenn., it's game-day traditions is pretty amazing with the volunteer army and the river in the backdrop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Considering Arkansas the south at least, if not the southeast, I would say the Buffalo River.

Same with Bayou LaFourche in Louisiana.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*Bump* Still can't believe no one voted for Alabama/Coosa. Up near Rome, it must be one of the most beautiful rivers in all of Georgia. I'm sure it's just as nice in Mobile as well. Oh well . . .

Other than that, the results are what I expected.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts