SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Who yeah gonna call?
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I saw this in the American thread, I would like to know what you think are the best sports venues in Canada.

My votes

Football Stadium

PEPS Stadium at Laval University (best University atmosphere in the CIS)
University Stadium at Waterloo (play here :) )
McMahon Stadium in Calgary (it just has the perfect CFL feel to it)
TD Waterhouse Stadium in London (favorite stadium I have ever played on)

Baseball

I’ll put Rogers Center due to my ignorance of baseball stadiums in this country

Hockey

John Labatt Center in London (nice new arena)
Air Canada Center in Toronto (fav. Team plays there and it’s really nice)
Coops Coliseum in Hamilton (NHL size rink, and once again close to home)
MTS Centre in Winnipeg (looks stunning)
Credit Union Stadium in Saskatoon (large arena for a WHL team)

·
Registered
27 Posts
f-a-v-o-U-r-i-t-e
c-e-n-t-R-E

Rogers Centre/Skydome is nice, and Maple Leaf Gardens of course, though it's no longer a sports venue :(

·
The good old days are now
476 Posts
Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens would be tops in my books. Unfortunatley the Forum is now a shopping mall and the Maple Leaf Gardens I think was turned into a grocery store? It's a real shame what happened to those storied sports venues. If they felt the need to destroy the rinks inside both of them, then they should have atleast made them into sports history museums (e.g. Montreal/Toronto hockey(or sports) museum?)

As for current venues, I find that the Bell Center is an ugly building, however the atmosphere there is unrivaled.

·
Administrator
79,197 Posts
MTLskyline said:
Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens would be tops in my books. Unfortunatley the Forum is now a shopping mall and the Maple Leaf Gardens I think was turned into a grocery store? It's a real shame what happened to those storied sports venues. If they felt the need to destroy the rinks inside both of them, then they should have atleast made them into sports history museums (e.g. Montreal/Toronto hockey(or sports) museum?)

As for current venues, I find that the Bell Center is an ugly building, however the atmosphere there is unrivaled.
How is that Forum shopping mall doing? Those types of projects rarely work
out successfully. Maple Leaf Gardens is still not converted to anything, and
is just a big old white elephant sitting lonely and underused on Church St.
The best thing a hockey arena can be used for is hockey.. too bad it can't
be utilised for that. I don't think a mall thing will work.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm a big fan of Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I've been to the JLC (John Labatt Centre) in London the most of any major Canadian sports venue. I've seen London Knights, Metallica, Shania Twain, Pearl Jam, Taste of Chaos, Sum 41, NHL exhibition, WWE wrestling, among other events.

Ah, the heck with it, because I have pics of it, here's my time @ the ACC in Toronto at a hockey game between the Leafs and MY BUFFALO SABRES! Only my second time to an event in this building. I usually see my hockey @ the Joe in Detroit or the HSBC in Buffalo (been to both arenas at least a dozen times). 19,000+ at this game, as there usually are at every game.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
I'm such a homer, but I would be lying if I didn't say it was the Dome.

I also like the MTS Centre in Winterpeg and Air Canada Centre as well.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I gotta go with the Skydome... it kicks ass.

For arenas, it's Maple Leaf Gardens for me. I remember being up in the second level in the corner, and we were still close enough to hear the players swear. And the roof was so cool; that place was a temple.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Woodbine.

In the nostalga category MLG, follow by Hanlon's Point and the old Orangeville Raceway.

·
38,925 Posts
Ivor Wynne on a sunny day in early September. So close to the field, views of the Niagara Escarpment, and to watch one of the oldest most storied and famous football clubs in the world. What could be more Canadian?

Second: Metro Centre in Halifax to watch AUS college basketball finals. It's absolutely electric in there.

Worst by far: Skydome for football. The worst atsmosphere you could possibly create.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Arenas:

1) Air Canada Centre
2) MTS Centre
3) GM Place
4) Saddledome

Stadiums:

1) Roger's Skydome
2) Olympic Stadium
3) Commonwealth Stadium
4) BC Place

·
38,925 Posts
Rogers Centre is impressive.
Great for baseball.
Atroticious for football.

Football only stadium for the Argonauts please!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts