Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
For me my favourite city centre dev area is Circle Square

I've loved every part of it from the moment it was announced. Each building just got better and better. To know two thirds of it would be built by 2022 was pretty astonishing considering the rate of other developments in the city centre and previous developments like Spinningfields. The architecture is something Manchester has never seen before. Feilden Clegg Bradley knocked it out of the park with CS. I can't wait for it to get moving properly and to see further developments (hotel and further office blocks).

As for development, then it would be Crown Street Tower. It's jut bloody gorgeous. Need I say more.

·
Charity-Spring
3,329 Posts
'Tis a tough one this. As you say, so much going on in our city at present (despite the playing-down of many of our projects from certain members of our nearest,albeit distant rival city).
Were l pushed then l would plump for Angel gardens. Starting to take shape and ooze quality that one. (Opinion may change with St Johns, Circle square and the jaw-dropping stature of Deansgate square.Though Axis is high on my personal list too).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tough one there are some great developments going up or being proposed all over the city but for me its a tie between Circle square and Deansgate square for my favourite . Circle square looks fantastic from the renders truly world class and I think it will become a busy and thriving district along with the oxford rd corridor, I even like vita which is meant to be the poorest element, I think it shows an upgrade in standards we expect in Manchester now. Deansgate square blows me away 4 glass monoliths the tallest breaking the 200 meter mark something historic for a regional uk city and the glass and indents are stunning. Honourable mentions for Port street, Angel gardens , Axis ,Crown street and the De Trafford stuff along Chester road

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Development - Old school, but I just love what they have done/are doing to Hanover House. Its just such a stunning building. Cant wait to see what they have done inside.

Area - At first I thought Angel Meadows - Such an exciting scheme.

However, realistically, it has to be St Johns/Enterprise City. Despite its frustrating tardiness, it still remains a truly exceptional vision of a bizarrely vacant part of town.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Tough one there are some great developments going up or being proposed all over the city but for me its a tie between Circle square and Deansgate square for my favourite . Circle square looks fantastic from the renders truly world class and I think it will become a busy and thriving district along with the oxford rd corridor, I even like vita which is meant to be the poorest element, I think it shows an upgrade in standards we expect in Manchester now. Deansgate square blows me away 4 glass monoliths the tallest breaking the 200 meter mark something historic for a regional uk city and the glass and indents are stunning. Honourable mentions for Port street, Angel gardens , Axis ,Crown street and the De Trafford stuff along Chester road
Agree completely and would give an honourable mention to Greengate and its various buildings

·
Registered
137 Posts
From what i've seen of the cladding so far, Angel Square is going to be a class act - nothing else like it in Manchester (for now).
For sheer audacity, Deansgate Square, i still find myself saying 'wow' when i drive past it everyday.....
Axis, for the screaming insanity of building it on that tiny plot of land, and for even being built at all given all the false starts.
The low rise element of St. John's will bring something completely different to the city (if it's delivered as per renders.....)
Circle Square for style and elegance.

So many more......

·
10th February 2008
61,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, so much to pick from, but I've made up my mind.

If there was a wow factor award it would have to go to Deansgate Square. A true game changer for Manchester and it's skyline.

However, that isn't my choice.

My choice for Favourite Development goes to........ Oxid House.

Yes, it's shape is a bog standard Apartment block, but the Corten cladding is sensational. That does it for me.

Bit of a cheat here.

Special mention has to go to Kampus. If it's ends up true to the CGI's, it will be special and different. Especially those Dutch Town Houses on top of the Apartment blocks.

However, I have chosen the *Chester Road Corridor* as best Development Area. From the end of the Chester Road Dual Carriageway to the bottom of Deansgate. A whole new gateway into the city centre is being created, taking in all the Gardens, Great Jackson Street, Castlefield, and Deansgate Square. De Trafford, Renaker, Ian Simpson Architects, Tim Groom Architects, Logik Developments, etc, are all transforming this area and gateway into the city centre into something very special.

·
Charity-Spring
3,329 Posts
Commendable choice in Oxid house. My head was so swamped with those over 100m that it temporarily escaped my gaze.
Made for an interesting read this thread. Good to gauge peoples opinions on what they look forwards to being completed in Manchester. We have after all, much going on that is synergetically and radically altering our city centre. And many a project to get started.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine is the Middlewood Locks area. It was too close to town to be fields. Now you've got Wilburn, Middlewood (ongoing) and the other bits further back like X1 and the Crescent. I think for expanding the city centre, this was the most important area. For big city feels anyway. Stood in 20 stories, hopefully in a few years you could look to Salford and see high density inner city for miles.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Quite a few too choose from, from what I have seen so far its gotta be Deansgate sq, its just changing the feel and perception of the city as you enter it from that side especially, This is the only development that makes me go wow with a little grin , Hence the choice

Close 2nd Angel gardens

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'm biased living in Castlefield - so I have to say the Chester Road corridor for sheer audacity and eclectic design. From Chicago-esque in Crown Street, ultra modern in Deansgate Square, understated in Transition and fantastically intricate in DeTrafford's Britannia Basin schemes. 2-4 Chester Road also has huge potential and the views from Castlefield Basin could put most of the country to shame in a few years.

In terms of individual developments. Following jrb's lead I'm going for two more understated ones.

I think Burlington House and No 1 Castlefield are dark horses for absolute gems personally.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Although it hasn't yet started I think Viadux/Found Space deserves a special shout out in this thread. It'll be great for Beetham to have a younger sibling and I love that it isn't just residential too. Hopefully we'll hear some good news on this one soon.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wilburn Wharf, Roof Gardens, Oxid House, Angel Gardens, they all have something in common and that's texture, I love the experimental-ness of it all!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm biased living in Castlefield - so I have to say the Chester Road corridor for sheer audacity and eclectic design. From Chicago-esque in Crown Street, ultra modern in Deansgate Square, understated in Transition and fantastically intricate in DeTrafford's Britannia Basin schemes. 2-4 Chester Road also has huge potential and the views from Castlefield Basin could put most of the country to shame in a few years.

In terms of individual developments. Following jrb's lead I'm going for two more understated ones.

I think Burlington House and No 1 Castlefield are dark horses for absolute gems personally.

No. 1 Castlefield is my favourite development too ! Is the build actually going to go ahead? It’s gone quiet recently and I was starting to worry that it was just a concept proposal

·
Registered
701 Posts
Your Favourite Development - And/Or City Centre Development Area?

As mentioned above No. 1 Castlefield is my favourite development. The idea of townhouses atop the apartment block is so intriguing and the render looks amazing. Realistically, it’ll probably be quite windy up in the townhouse gardens and it would be tricky for any kids living there to retrieve a ball which accidentally is thrown/kicked over the garden wall(!) but the concept is just... wow!

In terms of city centre development areas it has to be Ancoats/New Islington for me (not biased at all ). It’s the first city centre area which caters for families in terms of multiple rows of townhouses, a nursery (Little Learning Ladder), a primary school (New Islington Free School), a GP centre and the New Islington Marina for outdoor space and ‘wildlife’. The arrival of the ‘food/drinks scene’ in the area is an added bonus. It’s great to be able to go somewhere fab to eat within a5min walk for brunch/lunch on weekends, a post-school snack for the kids on weekdays and dinners out when the mood takes us.

·
Banned
1,093 Posts
My favourite U/C by far is Angel Gardens, Oxid 2nd.

The most exciting area is Circle Square as I think Oxford Road, while busy is really missing something to bring it together. Charles Street is a state so this should help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts