SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered Immigrant
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Favourite architectural element in your (nearest) City?

Post your favourite (one modern, one old) from the city you live in. Maximum of 4 photos please.

Apeldoorn:
Pop: 150,000 Location: Gelderland, Central-eastern Netherlands.

Walterboschcomplex (Tax offices):

Het Loo; the Palace and older Castle (former home of the dutch royal family):

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I take literally what you say here: to name some of our favorite architectural elements in our city. I therefore focus on elements of specific buildings/structures, rather than the buildings/structures themselves.

Pylon, Michigan Avenue Bridge, Chicago:

Owls atop the pediment of Chicago Public Library (Harold Washington Library Center)

Assyrian-style Consecration frieze, Medinah Athletic Club (now Hotel Intercontinental) Chicago

Dome, Fullerton Hall, Art Institute of Chicago

·
Registered Immigrant
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some beautiful pictures, guys! Interpret architectural elements as you wish - i purposefully stated it like that. Personally i feel that the term architectural 'element' can be understood quite broadly; from a roof decoration, to a development of structures forming a cohesive whole. Feel free to post either, or anything in between! :)

·
Out of time
11,922 Posts
There are many project U/C right now so when they're completed things will change a bit, but for now my favourite piece of architecture in Zagreb is Eurotower I... it's the completed skyscraper in this pic:

My favourite old building in the city is the St. Mark's Church currently under renovation

:cheers:

·
Juicy Juice
994 Posts
The church was built in late XIV century. The roof represents coats of arms. The left coat of arms represents 3 historic regions of Croatia (Dalmatia, Istria and Slavonia). The right one is coat of arms of Zagreb city engraved with the year 1499. on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Buenos Aires, Argentina:

Congereso de la Nación

Puerto Madero:

Avenida 9 de Julio:

·
VA is for LOVERS!
716 Posts
^^
Looks pretty much like a rendering :nuts:
You're right, that was the finalized rendering..

Its under construction right now and is nearing completion (supposed to open in the late fall). I couldnt find any recent pictures so that Is why I used those renderings.

I will try to search for some recent pictures.

·
Reasons To Be Cheerful
552 Posts
City: Edinburgh, Scotland

New: The Glasshouse Hotel:

Old: The Scottish National Portrait Gallery:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts