Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1076 Posts

·
©
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beattie was doing a decent job, i think he's gone off the rails over the past couple of years.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you vote for the Coalition, you basically state that you are happy with the fact that your rights have been stripped away from you forever. I guess there are a lot of masochistic Queenslanders then. Saying No to 4 weeks minimum holiday pay or maternity leave or being fired unfairly seems to please a lot of people then, especially up there in Queensland. Hell, the government could probably bomb Tasmania, and the polls in Queensland would still be 48-52. That state seriously needs to wake up from its obsession with conservative politics. Weren’t the Bjelke Petersson days enough for people up there? Queensland better make me proud on election day!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If you vote for the Coalition, you basically state that you are happy with the fact that your rights have been stripped away from you forever. I guess there are a lot of masochistic Queenslanders then. Saying No to 4 weeks minimum holiday pay or maternity leave or being fired unfairly seems to please a lot of people then, especially up there in Queensland. Hell, the government could probably bomb Tasmania, and the polls in Queensland would still be 48-52. That state seriously needs to wake up from its obsession with conservative politics. Weren’t the Bjelke Petersson days enough for people up there? Queensland better make me proud on election day!
What you fail to recognise is that 90% of the population were never on an award or AWA's. Most workers are now on common law contracts first implemented by Paul Keating.

Work choices affects such a tiny proportion of the total working population! However, the unions have won the PR war!

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^ Sums it up for me.

Labor can be represented by a weak, feminine, and superficial, do nothing deer.

Meanwhile, the Liberals are tough, aggressive, and masculine. and totally HAWT.

You don't want a bunch of pansies running TEH ECONOMY do you? If you vote Labor, you will loose your job, interest rates will go up, and terrorists will kill your family.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
What you fail to recognise is that 90% of the population were never on an award or AWA's. Most workers are now on common law contracts first implemented by Paul Keating.

Work choices affects such a tiny proportion of the total working population! However, the unions have won the PR war!
The Liberals are coming back and will. Labors IR rhetoric is only matched by the Liberals Economic rhetoric.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Queensland? Pft. This is the state that voted for Joh-Bjelke Petersson for a decade. I don't trust them to have one iota of political maturity.

Aussie Bhoy, what is so left wing about Julia Gillard? Is it the fact that she likes the pre-raped industrial relations laws? Oh that's right, the unions are so awful for giving us the 38 hour week, 4 weeks minimum holiday, maternity leave for women and so on! Australians would rather destroy all these conditions!

Not..

Australians wants a government that is FOR the people, NOT for solely the aristocracy and business interests. That means if you dare try to strip away my work privileges/rights or whatever you want to call them, I'll be angry and vote out the bastards who dared try to make my life and everyone else's life crappier. Then the government pretends that it's a "party for families". Such bullshit. I can't wait to see those poor deluded souls kicked out once and for all.
MPJK you make the point, whoever wins over the moderate voters will win, if Howard can bring back his "helping the family image" he will win. But in current political, social, economic it's a upward battle. Least he's had the right political conditions on his side in the past.

Janet Albrechtsen and Andrew Bolt would have us beleive that the left are the ones making all the money and laughing from there expensive penthouses?

·
Registered
435 Posts
All I hear is crap about high speed internet. Can someone explain why having ultrafast internet is so important? Would it not be MORE important to get everyone online, then speed it up. I just don't get it, 512-1500kbs is plenty enough for most people - but 12,000kbs min. seems like an overkill and most people won't be able to afford it anyways - regardless of who builds and maintains the network. I just don't see $19.95 unlimited 12mbs broadband deals ever becoming reality.

I have a feeling AU is heading for recession within 10 years (labor shortages + increased wages + interest rates + increase general living costs = its gotta burst sooner or later).

Anyways, my personal opinion is I'd rather not have a Labor monopoly. IR is hype.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wish Paul Keating was still on the team!! What an awesome Lateline interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1945485.htm

What a gun. Really, the conservatives are far too conservative with the economy. It's all easy coasting, nothing anywhere near as bold or structural as our Paul. Taxes were lowest under him also. His arrogance is too great to be warranted, but he does have some achievements under the belt! I agree about Gillard being the weakest link though, she's pretty uninspiring to me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wish Paul Keating was still on the team!! What an awesome Lateline interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1945485.htm

What a gun. Really, the conservatives are far too conservative with the economy. It's all easy coasting, nothing anywhere near as bold or structural as our Paul. Taxes were lowest under him also. His arrogance is too great to be warranted, but he does have some achievements under the belt! I agree about Gillard being the weakest link though, she's pretty uninspiring to me.
Easy for PK to run the country from retirement. He reminds me of the greens who can say whatever they want knowing they'll never be elected.

PK has had his go and he blew it. He gave us the 'recession we had to have' - 11% unemployment, and other things. The electorate rewarded him by throwing him out unceremoniously in March 1996. They should have done it three years earlier but Hewson's ineptitude saved him.

However, despite his faults and weakneses, he his very entertaining. I reckon they ought to team Keating with Latham in a comedy show. They would be hilarious.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Easy for PK to run the country from retirement. He reminds me of the greens who can say whatever they want knowing they'll never be elected.

PK has had his go and he blew it. He gave us the 'recession we had to have' - 11% unemployment, and other things.
Keating was bold in office as well as out. The current government's message has just been "look how well we've been coasting" - I'd be happier if they had attempted e.g. bold tax cuts, constitutional reform, etc. Howard/Costello are just boring.

And according to Howard himself, he inherited an economy in good shape.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Minnesota Twin has a selective memory, ignore his rhetoric.

The 80's was full of bold policies, look all over Australia at the time. It's sad to say that Labor in there long period out of Government have become as lame as the Howard Government to try to get re-elected.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
All I hear is crap about high speed internet. Can someone explain why having ultrafast internet is so important? Would it not be MORE important to get everyone online, then speed it up. I just don't get it, 512-1500kbs is plenty enough for most people - but 12,000kbs min. seems like an overkill and most people won't be able to afford it anyways - regardless of who builds and maintains the network. I just don't see $19.95 unlimited 12mbs broadband deals ever becoming reality.

I have a feeling AU is heading for recession within 10 years (labor shortages + increased wages + interest rates + increase general living costs = its gotta burst sooner or later).

Anyways, my personal opinion is I'd rather not have a Labor monopoly. IR is hype.
It's to do with Business, new industries and increased speeds that allow for large amounts of Data, Business should be allowed to download 20 Gig of data quickly not having to wait up to 60 hours.

These new digital industries will be allowed to grow and these will be worth Billions and Billions of Dollars, far more than the dumb investment we will put in.

As for who you want in power at a Federal Level for the "coming recession" you predict after cutting through the rhetoric of economic management and who has actual governmental responsibility you still will have to decide what practices will be best for the Economy and Australians future.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Keating was bold in office as well as out. The current government's message has just been "look how well we've been coasting" - I'd be happier if they had attempted e.g. bold tax cuts, constitutional reform, etc. Howard/Costello are just boring.

And according to Howard himself, he inherited an economy in good shape.
You want excitement? I think most people would prefer certainty, the kind that comes with 4.2% unemployment, good economic growth, and a union put in it's place by good IR policies. But wait. No, you're right, it was really so much better during the "exciting" years of the Keating government with 11% unemployment. Man, i loved that feeling of "living on the edge" not knowing whether i was going to have my job the next day or whether i could feed the kids if rates go above 18%. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
563 Posts
"They will simply be a smudge in history. What have they put into place which is enduring, which makes the heart skip a beat? Nothing. And, in the end, there will be no punctuation mark in our annals from their paltry efforts. The game is too big for them.
This is why those of progressive mind shouldn't despair, arid as this period is. Because in the end, the vapid and heartless messages of the militant conservatives will fail to make any real headway.- Keating"

Is Keating still pissed that he got his ass kicked by Johnnie? :lol:

If Howard is a smudge then bring out the microscope for what Keating represents.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
They will be a smudge, though. Conservativism always loses in the end, for that's the nature of conservatism. Shit changes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Minnesota Twin has a selective memory, ignore his rhetoric.
Twaddle!

The 80's was full of bold policies, look all over Australia at the time.
Name some! Well seeing you weren't even born until the end of the 1980s what would you really know? Where do you get your information? What books have you read?

Here are some of my memories from the 1980s:

1. Do nothing Fraser government (1977-83). Athough he initially had majorities in both house he failed to push through any worthwhile and necessary reforms.

2. Severe drought of 1982. Ash Wednesday in February 1983 (WA, SA and VIC) with many killed.

3. Hayden dumped the day Fraser calls the election. Hawke is accused on the 7.30 Report (or whatever the show was back then) by Richard Carleton of having blood on his hands. Hawke easily defeats Fraser. Fraser in tears as he concedes. What a sook!

4. Drought breaks in the autumn of 1983.

3. America's Cup won in early 1983. Hawke says in his inebriated state, "Any boss who sacks a worker for taking today off is a bum."

4. Hawke/Kelty/Big Business strike the cosy deal called the 'Accord'. Big business thrives, small business suffers.

5.1988 (I think) Hawke with Kelty present at Kirribilli House promises to hand the reins over to Keating in a handshake deal. Hawke reneged.

6. Some of the affairs and 'gates' - Whiteboard Affair (Ros Kelly, Women Surfers Grants, Money to the Aboriginal Pokies Club in Queanbeyan (it went broke)

7. Privatisation of Commonwealth Bank, Qantas, CSIRO - remembering that Labor in opposition have opposed all privatisation.

8. The horror financial situation: 11% unemployment, 18% interest rates, $96 billion government debt, 10% pa inflation, rustbelts in Vic and SA.

9. Keating overthrows Hawke at the end of 1990.

10. During all this time Peacock and Howard taking turns as Opposition Leader.

11. WA (Burke), SA (Bannon) and SA (Cain/Kirner)Labor governments bankrupting their respective states.

Selective memory? Maybe, but these are things you don't forget having lived through the decade.

1 - 20 of 1076 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.