SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-fed-square-east/story-e6frf7kx-1225942971393

MELBOURNE'S heart will be transformed by a Chicago-inspired public space and cultural precinct to connect our art and sport institutions.

The first vision of how Federation Square East would look can be revealed by the Herald Sun, showing design work by Major Projects Victoria to cover the Jolimont railway yards.

The design is modelled on Chicago's Millennium Park, a big tourist drawcard also developed to cover ugly rail tracks.

Millennium Park also connects a key body of water - Lake Michigan - to the city.

Included in the Federation Square East design is a landscaped deck over the rail lines.

Space for a boutique hotel, shops and office space, plus areas for public art and performances, are also included.

Premier John Brumby told the Herald Sun his vision for a world-best sport and art precinct was progressing with major redevelopments at some of our favourite sports and arts centres.

Mr Brumby said the missing piece of the puzzle may not be approved until after the next election, but it was a crucial plan to show where Melbourne was going.

"Victoria's lifestyle really sets us apart (and) a big part of that is our love of sport and the arts," Mr Brumby said.

"I want Victoria to be home to the best sports and arts precinct anywhere in the world," he said.

The Government's plan to cover Jolimont railway yards was unveiled in 2008, with big business and tourism operators supporting the push to breathe more life into the area. The arts community will view the new design with interest, as it provides space for performances and exhibitions, as well as better linking the area north of the Yarra River to the Southbank precinct.

The Victorian Employers' Chamber of Commerce and Industry has previously called for a Prime Minister's Melbourne residence to be built on the site, but no plans for that are included in the Major Projects Victoria design.

Contract details show rail operators Metro Trains and engineering company Aurecon Australia have been employed to explore decking options over the rail lines.

The contracts, worth about $800,000, are for design input and engineering services.

The total Federation Square East project would cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but commercial projects such as a boutique hotel and retail outlets would mean private enterprise would contribute heavily.

Mr Brumby said investment at world-class venues like AAMI Park, Melbourne Park, Hamer Hall and the Convention Centre was a crucial step in the overall commitment.

"Over the medium and long term, I want to build on these investments by linking our sports precinct and the Yarra, with the CBD and our arts precinct," he said.

"We are focused at this time on building world-class venues, but over the next five to 10 years, we will deliver on this vision."

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/1623358319/New-vision

·
Lord Melbourne
4,243 Posts
Thats not too bad. I like that it's mostly green space and not paved areas.

Although because of the design of Federation square, its locked out from swanston street a bit too much. Oh well, perhaps one day.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Is this a continuation of sorts of earlier proposal to build some flats above the rail tracks between MCG and Melbourne Park?

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
No. Those flats over the railyards where a Grocon proposal for the Comm Games athletes village. However I expect that the next 'extension' of the decking will be much more commerical with residential development on the eastern side of the Exhibition Street extension past those East Melbourne residences that back onto the train line and up to William Barrak Bridge.

This looks fricken awesome. (off course the final design wouldn't look like this thoguh (NN) I actually think this will help integrate the eastern end of the existing Fed Square (Ian Potter Centre) wiht Swanston Street much more. people will now have a reason to walk from Swanston through Fed Square past Beer Deluxe downstairs through Ian POtter and instead of reaching a crappy extension of Russell Street and a carpark they'll now reach this park!!

I also like the new footbridge over the river at the eastern end of the boatsheds. If that gets built I think they should make Exhibition the main north-south bike rotue through the city to help reduce Swanston walk/bike conflicts further.

much better linkage down to the river than existing Fed Square has as well IMO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks okay, but there seems to be little to draw people down there. Nothing that inspiring achitecture wise either. But then again - few great ideas ever come from Government. They are too risk averse.

We should be aiming for something creative and spectacular that draws tourists, Melbournians and the like down there.

One thing that would be very Melbourne would be a market that showcases Victoria's creativity, flair, multiculturalism and produce open until late at night. Think a QV Night Market, but with food vendors required to meet criteria such as artistic flair/performance criteria as well as taste, appearance etc. I have always loved markets when travelling - it can make food, more than food, especially when combined with a spectacular visual aspect (e.g. think Sugo, turkish vendors flipping crepes, thai girls working their mortar and pestles as they smash their papaya salads or with their spectcular knife skills as they shred a papaya/green mango, barmen with their juggling tricks as they prepare cocktails). The position is ideal for tourists (e.g. can take the food and eat along the banks of the Yarra) and for workers at the Exhibition St end of the city. Ideal also if you want something that can open later in the night as there is little residential around. If done right, it would really bring people to the area and bring it alive. A great way to celebrate our diversity on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^^ Pretty sure it's just a concept for now, much like the Hamer Hall video with the pyramid thing that never eventuated.

Looking at this though, it looks great, will really do wonders for the area. Like boglegraham
said, would be good if they included some sort or architectural marvel or interesting artwork that is a focal point for the whole area, but overall i'm quite happy with what they've got planned.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
This concept is a good start, and illustates that the site has great potential of the site.

The bridge is a great idea to link the parklands on both sides of the river.

The site will definately need a museum/gallery or other touriust attraction to bring visitors, as food outlets and shops will not generate foot traffic alone.

The hotel building podium looks like it was taken from the desalination plant design:)

Bring on an architectural competition.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe that the NGV have been pushing for an Aboriginal Art Gallery to be built on the site. The render showing a bridge connecting the Ian Potter Centre to a new building at Fed Square East suggest that this is a possibility (the air bridge would be stupid otherwise as it directly links into the gallery).

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
/\/\ why is it that whenever a new public/civic area or park is mooted people always want to put an Aboriginal cultural centre or museum there?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
/\/\ why is it that whenever a new public/civic area or park is mooted people always want to put an Aboriginal cultural centre or museum there?
Who said Aboriginal? As I said, a Museum, Gallery or other attraction to activate the site and bring in tourists. The other uses can encourage local visitors to the site, but there has to be a level of attraction to get people there. A few bits of grass and a some treees will not do that by itself.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Great loss, as our soon-to-be visionless leader Faillieu describes it as a ''Desal plant with alot of grass and alot of trees with a tiara on top''. Though when askeed what he would prefere Faillieu says he wants the ''expansion of Birrarung Marr parklands'' Well Derr Ted, isnt that exactly what Brumby is proposing.
And dont forget the blanket ban accross the suburbs regarding all types of development, Yey Yey...Go for it all you Young Libs and go **** yourselves..
And the dumb cunz of Melbourne are going to give it to him, *sigh*

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
That proposed new footbridge over the Yarra is Melbourne's "missing link" IMHO. The area has been crying out for it for years.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
/\/\ Really...I think we've got more than enough bridges. May as well deck over the whole friggin river.
Most cities have many bridges across the rivers they have. I agree in many ways that there are many bridges already, but this is one spot that desperately needs one, as does Vic Harbour to Yarras Edge in the Docklnads.

They would be the true missing links at present.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who said Aboriginal?
It was me actually (^o^)

Mickeebee - Why not a dedicated gallery of Aboriginal Art? As it is there is not a substantial stand alone Indigenous gallery or museum (apart from the smallish Koorie Heritage Trust). I agree with you about the bridge though. I think we've enough as it is and I quite like the view up the Yarra as it is now.

As for Baillieu, he just gets worse by the day. There was a point at which I quite liked him (for a Liberal)...not anymore.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Opposition leader Ted Baillieu ridiculed the proposed redevelopment as nothing more than a tiara on top of the car park.

"It looked a bit like the desal plant with a lot of grass and a lot of trees and a tiara on top of the car park," he said.

"But if you look carefully there is a 6-10 storey redevelopment across the only part of the development that didn't exist."

Mr Baillieu would prefer an expansion of the Birrarung Marr parklands.
I know its posted above but this is a bit clearer...

is this guy for real???????? what the fvck is he on. (NN)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The Libs are just playing the Labor opposition style tactics of promising to protect things but will do otherwise. They are just trying to get the NIMBY's to vote for them, promise consultation, and will deliver their planning reports after an election. Those will have much more broad scoped areas of development than NIMBY's will ever like :)

The truth is that these Liberals comments actually make sense, by centralising the main development areas in CAD's, giving defined areas to develop, instead of piecemeal that it is now.

There needs to be incentive to build in CAD's, and if that is given priority, then the plan will actually go a long way to develop effectively.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
It was me actually (^o^)

Mickeebee - Why not a dedicated gallery of Aboriginal Art? As it is there is not a substantial stand alone Indigenous gallery or museum (apart from the smallish Koorie Heritage Trust). I agree with you about the bridge though. I think we've enough as it is and I quite like the view up the Yarra as it is now.

As for Baillieu, he just gets worse by the day. There was a point at which I quite liked him (for a Liberal)...not anymore.
Why can't they let Aboriginal's do authentic mud paintings on the walls of the undercroft along the rail lines......this painting on canvas with paint is a European idea......Funny how they adopt ideas when it suits them ? The sooner all Australians are one people the better. New Old, original.....whatever !
PS...I am not racist.....I think Aborigines ......Indigenous etc are as good as anyone else in this country.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts