SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link

The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link is an immersed tunnel or bridge that is proposed to connect the German offshore island of Fehmarn with the Danish
island of Lolland. This would cross over the Fehmarn Belt in the Baltic Sea – 18km wide – hence providing a direct link by railroad and highway
between northern Germany and the Danish island of Lolland, and thence to Zealand.

The plan is to build a 18km long tunnel or a 18km long bridge across the Fehmarn Belt. Concept studies have been made of both studies and
they are to decide whether to build a tunnel or bridge by 2012. The project is on schedule for completion 2020/2021.

LINKS | Wikipedia - Official Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link website

Alternative 1 | Bridge

The conceptual design envisages a bridge across the Fehmarnbelt to be 17.6 km from coast-to-coast. With an expected permitted speed of
110km per hour, it will take motorists approx. 10 minutes to travel across it. For train passengers, the journey will take seven minutes. The
S-shaped bridge will offer travellers panoramic views during their journey. From the approaches, motorists will have a view of the 272 m high
pylons, which will stand approx. 7 km from the German coast and approx. 10 km from the Danish coast.

In the conceptual design, the bridge is designed as a cable-stayed bridge on two levels like the Øresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden.
There will be four lanes and two emergency lanes on the upper deck and two electrified rail lines on the lower deck. In the conceptual design,
transparent windscreens will be installed along the entire length of the bridge for the comfort of motorists.

Moveable central barriers will allow rescue personnel etc. to cross the motorway in order to achieve maximum freedom of movement in the
event of accidents or during maintenance work. With regard to the railway, points will be established on the bridge to achieve maximum
capacity during maintenance.

The bridge is a so-called composite solution with the bridge girders made of steel and the road deck of concrete. On the high bridge, the
bridge girders and the road deck are expected to be made of steel in order to reduce the weight.

In the conceptual design, the high bridge has a free span of 724 m for each of the two main spans. These will be the longest spans ever
built for a cable-stayed bridge for both cars and trains. The large spans are necessary for reasons of navigational safety. The free passage
height will be 66.2 metres. The starting point is the Storebælt bridge whose free height is 65 m. The additional 1.2 m will take account of
the expected rise in sea level as a result of climate change.

Alternative 2 | Tunnel

A tunnel is almost invisible in the landscape. Apart from the portal buildings and the land reclamation at the portals, it will not impact on the
marine environment when completed. The total length of the tunnel in the conceptual design will be 17.6 km from tunnel mouth to tunnel
mouth. At a speed of 110 km per hour, this would offer motorists a journey time of approx. 10 minutes through the tunnel. The coast-to-
coast rail journey would take seven minutes.

It is proposed that the tunnel shall be constructed almost as a straight line from coast-to-coast. On the German side, motorists would drive
over a small hill and then downwards into a green valley before arriving at the tunnel mouth. After a gradual transition to artificial lighting,
they would continue into a tunnel with light walls. Because of the emergency lane, the tunnel would provide a wide and spacious impression.

To ensure that motorists have a sense of diversity during their journey, the section is divided into zones with varied lighting. There are also
three approx. 1.5 km long areas of LED lighting which depict images in slow movement on the tunnel walls. Good visibility and a varied
experience are designed to counteract tunnel anxiety and keep motorists alert.

The approach on the Danish side will be characterised by Lolland's manmade landscape and will be marked by a portal containing the control
and monitoring centre. In this way, the portal building on the Danish side is conceived as a landmark for travellers on route to Germany.

The tunnel in the conceptual design will be executed as a one level immersed tunnel cast in watertight concrete like the Øresund tunnel. The
cross-section is designed with two motorway tubes on the west side and two rail tubes on the east side. Between the road tunnel tubes there
will be a central corridor for installations and an escape passage.

The immersed tunnel will be sited in an excavated trench under the seabed and protected by an approx. 1.2 m thick stone layer against
collisions from sinking ships or anchors.

Edited and updated by Þróndeimr

Original post

Great news!

German and Danish authorities have agreed on building a bridge between the two countries. The bridge will be 18 kilometers long, cost 42.54 billion NOK, and be completed in 2018. Awesome!

http://www.nettavisen.no/bil/article1166091.ece

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
well, perhaps this deserves its own thread...? As a way to post dedicated news about the project....

But I think it should be renamed The Femern bridge thread, since it isnt a bridge from openhagen to Germany, but from Rødby to Femern...

Anyways, the bridge will cost around 41 billion kroner and Denmark will pay 35 billion of that. Same ratio will be used if an EU grant is given, but asumebly it will be build either way.

Denmark will be responseble for the design and construction of the bridge and a joint stately company. The bridge is expected to have 9200 cars and 4000 train passengers a day when it is finished in around 2020. The price of a ticket will be the same as a current ferry one and it is expected that the bridge will be paid of in 25 years time. After that the bridge will belong to Denmark.

·
囧!
10,888 Posts
Great news! I wonder how short time the Malmö-Hamburg trip will be when this bridge has been finished.

The bridge in the rendering looks like a stretched copy of Öresundsbron, with four pylons instead of two at the high-bridge.

·
囧!
10,888 Posts
^^
Looks better. They are probably just concept renderings anyway.
This one looks like a typical Danish bridge though, so I'm pretty confident the final bridge will have the same style.
I wish they'd hire some world class architect to design this monster. It's a 40 bio DKK bridge after all. Call Foster or Calatrava!

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Great news! I wonder how short time the Malmö-Hamburg trip will be when this bridge has been finished.

The bridge in the rendering looks like a stretched copy of Öresundsbron, with four pylons instead of two at the high-bridge.
they say it will take 10-12 minutes on the bridge, compared to what....1-2 hours normally...?

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
^I think the ferry takes around 35-40min - but you also have to board and wait and all that crap - this is awesome - just a shame I'll be in my 40's before I can enjoy it.. at that age I doubt I'll be taking a quick party trip to Berlin and sleep on the train back home :D

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
^I think the ferry takes around 35-40min - but you also have to board and wait and all that crap - this is awesome - just a shame I'll be in my 40's before I can enjoy it.. at that age I doubt I'll be taking a quick party trip to Berlin and sleep on the train back home :D
I thought it took at least an hour....plus all the extra...

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,515 Posts
The ferry part of the journey takes an hour, at least if you travel by train.

I hope the bridge will be ready for high-speed rail. And I hope that the german and danish tracks connecting the bridge with Hamburg and Copenhagen will be upgraded as well. Currently the track between Hamburg and Lübeck is in the process of electrification (it is one of the last major network parts in Germany which still require Diesel-locomotives). Also the track between Lübeck and the bridge has to be upgraded to double-track.
If these measures will be taken care of, Hamburg-Copenhagen in 90 minutes is realistic (it is roughly the distance Hamburg-Berlin).

·
囧!
10,888 Posts
^^
Now that would be totally awesome. Malmö/CPH-Hamburg in 90 minutes. It takes longer time to drive to some parts of Scania from Malmö, even!

·
Banned
234 Posts
Atleast 50% of the traffic on that bridge will be Swedish, i crossed that straight a week ago and the majority of travellers on that ferry was Swedes. I wonder how lowered alcohol taxes in Sweden would affect this project, i think its a bit risky.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
I wonder how lowered alcohol taxes in Sweden would affect this project, i think its a bit risky.
:lol:
P.S. Direct bridge from CPH to Germany? Crazy? :lol:

·
囧!
10,888 Posts
Atleast 50% of the traffic on that bridge will be Swedish, i crossed that straight a week ago and the majority of travellers on that ferry was Swedes.
Just because many Swedes travel Rödby-Puttgarden during the svennefamiljer-bilar-i-Europa season doesn't mean it is like that all year.

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Excellent news indeed! Denmark is a country of bridges so I have been waiting for something huge like this. Anyone got a map of exactly where this bridge will be?

/Moved to Projects & Construction :)

·
Member #109
2,714 Posts
/\ Please change the title too, it's of course not a bridge from Copenhagen to Germany.

...cost 42.54 billion NOK....
If things turns out like every other large project here, the price will probably be closer to 60 billion or so. Some examples:

The Great Belt Bridge: Budget - 14 billion DKR, final price - ~22 billion DKR.
Øresund Bridge: Budget - 14.9 billion DRK, final price 21.9 billion DKR.
CPH Metro: Budget - 4.5 billion DKR, final price (estimated) 9 billion DRK

1 - 20 of 496 Posts