SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I got no article on this, i just heard this and thinks its a beautiful idea.

Scanlines has, with the other ferry companies in their back, brought the idea of an Rostock bridge/tunnel instead of the fehmarn.

Fehmarn will be good for the people in zeeland, because it would take a great part of their trip to Germany off. But the rest of the country won't use it at all, they will most likely use the existing ways. People and cargo from the rest of scandinavian will probably use it, but it doesn't matter that much for them.

A connection from Gedser (DK) to Rostock (Mecklenburg, Germany), which seems to be about 40 km long, would have a greater usage, it would be a gateway to eastern Europe, and that connection would benefit for the whole country, as it would be the shortest route for both people and cargo. So a 4 lane high way, and a double railed connection would, after my opinion, be a much better solution!

Notice that Scanlines is the only ferry company to connect fehmarn AND Rostock, and they are also asking the government to upgrade the single rail line to that dock, to a double rail line. An argument to hurry this, is that its the main cargo line to eastern Germany and Europe, which is a rail line from late 1800, of course with new rails, but it isn't made to withstand a flood. So, it has to be upgraded anyway, it would be smart to lay an extra rail line at the same time, it would make a higher capacity, AND the line would be able to do passengers trains as well, which has been closed due to the fact that the cargo benefit better, than the few passengers living at the line, and the line ain't able to support both right now..

What do you think?

·
Grave Architecture
519 Posts
A connection from Gedser (DK) to Rostock (Mecklenburg, Germany), which seems to be about 40 km long, would have a greater usage, it would be a gateway to eastern Europe, and that connection would benefit for the whole country, as it would be the shortest route for both people and cargo. So a 4 lane high way, and a double railed connection would, after my opinion, be a much better solution!
Sorry, but how does changing the destination towns in Denmark and Germany change the fact that the Fehmern bridge is solely going to be used by traffic to and from Norway, Sweden and Zealand/Copenhagen? Jutland will never need a bridge to the European mainland because it is a part of it. That is the most pointless proposal I've come across considering the Fehmern bridge is both the shortest travel across the strait and a far, far cheaper solution.

Ferry companies are never trustworthy with regards to bridge/tunnel construction, because they are the one's losing business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts