Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets share some pictures of our cities ferry infrastructure. Something a bit different from all the freeways, railways, busways and other plethora of concrete and steel! Basically anything used on water for PUBLIC transport, can even include water taxis.

I'll start with a couple of terminals in Auckland I use.

·
Illustrateur
13,124 Posts
In Rotterdam, we have this:

Ferry Building of 'Holland-Amerika Lijn'.

I was in Auckland in 2004, and I had the same feeling with that building as the 'Holland-Amerika Lijn'-building. :)

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:) The old girl looks like she has 2 big brothers standing over her.

More perspective's of the Auckland Downtown Ferry Terminal.

Devonport Wharf is the blue building on the pier below

Bayswater Wharf and Marina

Waiheke Island

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
Very interesting topic, and I'd like to contribute some.

Great photos of the ferry buildings in Auckland Kane007, but I fear that the good intentions of your original post has turned into a photofest for Auckland in general. Many of those new photos have little to do with the Ferry infrastructure or wharfs, but general views of Auckland. Regardless of how pleasing they are to the eye, I think they may dilute the purpose of this thread.

Is there any chance you could delete some of the irrelevant photos so that we can concentrate on the main topic? I hope I didn't offend you here :O)

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
I'll start with a small German/Austrian town of Lindau (Germany) and Bregenz (Austria). These two cities sit side by side on the national border. Because it's the EU, there are no border crossings, and the two cities work together in much the same way as two neighbouring towns in a single country would. A train journey between the two takes about 10-15minutes, but the ferry is a much more relaxed and enjoyable ride.

Lindau (downtown) is situated on an island on Lake Constance (Bodensee in German) with the suburbs on the mainland. The island part is almost entirely historical and absolutely beautiful. Bregenze is directly on the mainland, but noted for it's mountains right behind the city.

Ferry's ply between the two on a regular service, and you can also get ferry's from Lindau to many other cities along the Lake as well as other interesting places like Mainau, which is an island that is entirely a botanical garden.

Anyway, here is the port area of Lindau where the ferry's depart from.
The hills and lights behind are the city of Bregenz in Austria

The main ferry point is at the far end of this harbour.

The mountains behind in this photo are in Switzerland. Ferry's from this port also have regular services to that country.

A ferry entering the small port of Lindau, passing the lighthouse and statue that guard the hafen.

I don't have photos of the ferry terminal in Bregenz, but here are some other cities on the lake where the Lindau ferrys stop.

Friedrichshafen is one of the larger cities on the lake, and here is the main ferry area. The first photo shows an observation town built at the end of the ferry wharf. It's free to climb for a good view of the harbour.

The artdeco ferry building in Friedrichshafen

Friedrichshafen from a Zeppelin (you can see the shadow). This area was the home of the Zeppelin and where the Hindenburg was tested before service. You can see the port area of the town.

And although there are so many other great ferry terminals on this amazing lake, I will end with just one more town. Konstanz. Located at the far end of the lake from Lindau.

Like Lindau, the hafen for Konstanz is also guarded by a statue.

·
Illustrateur
13,124 Posts
^^ I didn't know Austria has got a lighthouse!

'The old girl looks like she has 2 big brothers standing over her.'
Yes, it does look like that. Very nice position of the towers and builings on that pier in Rotterdam (NL).

Please delete some photographs. The most of them have nothing to do with ferry buildings. This will keep this topic clear. Nice pic's but maybe on the wrong thread. Thank you for that in advance! :)

That Ferry building in Auckland looks a bit mediterranean. It's special ans classical with it's colors! I like that in that modern area.

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ As requested, have removed a whole bunch. :cheers: .

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Anyone else noticed the dirigible (airship) shadow from were this pic was obviously taken.

Way cool! :lol:

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
Anyone else noticed the dirigible (airship) shadow from were this pic was obviously taken.

Way cool! :lol:
Yes, this town Friedrichshafen is where the Zeppelin was invented, built and tested. Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin came from the nearby town of Konstanz (also shown in the photos above) and he built his Zeppelin company up in Friedrichshafen along the Lake shore. It is still a major place for airship construction and there is the local Zeppelin Museum. Natually the Hindenburg was also built there by the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin company, which incidently, still exists today (http://www.zeppelin-nt.de/index_e.htm#)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts