Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread for the very first FFA Cup. Don't know about everyone else but I'm so excited for this!

The draw happened at 12pm today here are the results:

Match 1 - Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory
Match 2 - Melbourne City v Sydney FC
Match 3 - Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United
Match 4 - Broadmeadow Magic v Brisbane Strikers
Match 5 - Sydney United v FNQ Heat
Match 6 - Paramatta FC v St Albans Saints
Match 7 - Olympic FC v Melbourne Knights
Match 8 - Manly United v Sydney Olympic
Match 9 - South Hobart FC v Tuggeranong United
Match 10 - Hakoah Sydney City v Palm Beach Sharks
Match 11 - South Springvale v South Cardiff
Match 12 - Blacktown City v Bentleigh Greens
Match 13 - South Coast Wolves v Central Coast Mariners
Match 14 - Bayswater City FC v Melbourne Victory
Match 15 - Adelaide City v Western Sydney Wanderers
Match 16 - Stirling Lions FC v Brisbane Roar

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My thoughts: Annoyed Sydney have drawn Melbourne City away, we are already playing them twice in the first 8 rounds of the season. Will be extra annoyed to get knocked out and not play a smaller side.

Most interesting games of the round for me are:

Sydney United vs FNQ Heat
Adelaide City vs Western Sydney

Really interested to see how Heat go as they have A-League aspirations and I Watched the Adelaide City qualifier and thought they were a very handy side.

·
©
9,478 Posts
FNQ Heat are only mid table in the NPL Queensland, can't see them doing too much. That being said, I went to watch the FFA Cup game between them and Fury and they nailed the Fury 4-1.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see how my local team, Camden Tigers (State League 1) fared in qualification. Got no idea how far they got.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I love is that there are teams like Hakoah and South Springvale which aren't even in the National Premier Leagues. They both play at a 4th tier level. Hakoah are spending a shitload of money though. They have some very rich benefactors like the Lowy Family. Lloyd Owusu plays for them and is apparently on 1.5k a week. For a part time job thats awesome.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see how my local team, Camden Tigers (State League 1) fared in qualification. Got no idea how far they got.
They got knocked out in the round they joined (round 4) They lost to association side Hills Pumas in a penalty shootout after it ended 0-0.

My old team Northern Tigers (NSW NPL2) made it to the last 8, thus giving them a 7 in 8 chance of qualifying for the cup. They beat NPL leaders Blacktown Spartans 4-1, then played association side Sans Souci and won 3 nil. Drew our local rivals Manly United in the quarters, lost a penalty shootout, then drew Hakoah (division below) and lost 5-1. Final chance to qualify was against Parramatta FC (the old Parramatta Melita Eagles from early NSL days) we lost that 1 nil unfortunately so missed out.

This website shows the results from qualification from the earliest round.

http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#!nsw/c1tsl

If anyone else is interested on that page click on qualification to view results from all of the states.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It's a great concept to raise interest in local football. The idea that my local team, the SWQ Thunder, could one day host an A-League team in a match that really means something has meant that i now have more of an interest in actually following their progress.

This year they were knocked out by Palm Beach. They really aren't competitive at QNPL level yet, but it's their first year and they should build from here as they gain experience.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ I've been to 4 Northern Tigers games this season, the FFA Cup have definitely got me more interested in the lower leagues. I've actually really enjoyed the games I've been to as well. Also went along to an APIA Leichhardt league game.

What is also very encouraging for the smaller clubs too, particularly here in Sydney, is that they are all working hard on upgrading their facilities, particularly putting in synthetic pitches which mean juniors get to use the fields much more. Off the top of my head these teams all now have synthetic pitches: Manly United, APIA, Sydney United, Blacktown City, Sydney Uni, Hakoah, Hills, Northbridge, Dulwich Hill and both Fraser Park and Northern Tigers getting new artificial surfaces either end of the season or next season. Having a perfect surface means the standard of football is much higher too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It's a great concept to raise interest in local football. The idea that my local team, the SWQ Thunder, could one day host an A-League team in a match that really means something has meant that i now have more of an interest in actually following their progress.

This year they were knocked out by Palm Beach. They really aren't competitive at QNPL level yet, but it's their first year and they should build from here as they gain experience.
Has there been much interest in the QNPL in the Toowoomba area?

Whats are SWQ Thunder's crowds like?

The reason I ask is I try and get along and watch the odd game at Redlands U and sometimes my old favourite's from the NSL days Brisbane Strikers. Both of those clubs seem to struggle to get decent crowds for the QNPL games. I did a quick little head count at a Redlands United match once and there was barely 60 people watching.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
^^ Sports in general seems to struggle for support in Toowoomba. Even the Toowoomba Clydestales Rugby League team has has had trouble fielding a open mens team and they have a long and prestigious history being arguably the best Rugby League team in the world way back in the 1920s and topping the table in the top level Queensland comp as recently as the early/mid 2000s.

I haven't been to a Thunder game yet. As i said, my interest has only just been piqued. I'd be surprised if they get many people to their games as they haven't managed a win yet (apart from a win that was overturned when Central Queensland left the competition.

edit: about 500 watched SWQ beat Willowburn in the FQ cup last month :)

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...D=264725&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29191023

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^^ Sports in general seems to struggle for support in Toowoomba. Even the Toowoomba Clydestales Rugby League team has has had trouble fielding a open mens team and they have a long and prestigious history being arguably the best Rugby League team in the world way back in the 1920s and topping the table in the top level Queensland comp as recently as the early/mid 2000s.

I haven't been to a Thunder game yet. As i said, my interest has only just been piqued. I'd be surprised if they get many people to their games as they haven't managed a win yet (apart from a win that was overturned when Central Queensland left the competition.

edit: about 500 watched SWQ beat Willowburn in the FQ cup last month :)

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...D=264725&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29191023

I didnt even know they played a FQ cup competition. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starts tonight lads! I'm contemplating whether to drive out to Manly to watch their match against Sydney Olympic as a friend plays for Manly, or whether I should watch Broadmeadow vs Brisbane Strikers on fox sports. Been waiting so long for this!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Really enjoyed that last night, the fox coverage was really good and really professional. Loved seeing the small grounds packed out too! Great to see the minnows in South Springvale proceed.

Broadmeadow vs Brisbane Strikers got 1523
Manly United vs Sydney Olympic got 1800
Olympic FC vs Melbourne Knights got 2195
South Springvale vs South Cardiff got 1420 (not bad for a 4th tier side!)

All goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnEAK7RPpm0

1 - 20 of 103 Posts