SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FG set to ban importation of locally made goods- Aganga

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Abuja – The Federal Government will soon ban the importation of goods being produced in Nigeria to reposition the manufacturing sector, Dr Olusegun Aganga, the Minister of Trade and Investment, has said.

According to him, this is part of a deliberate policy to protect local industries, boost their productivity and create more job opportunities for Nigerians.

Aganga disclosed this on Tuesday during his facility visit to Innoson Vehicles Manufacturing Plant and Innoson Industrial Plastic Plant in Enugu and Anambra, respectively.

He said that the new initiative was part of the National Industrial Revolution Plan of the Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment.

Aganga said that it was aimed at repositioning the manufacturing sector in line with President Goodluck Jonathan's Transformation Agenda.

“As a country, we have a large market comprising 167 million people. We are the gateway to ECOWAS, which are about 300 million people.

“What this means is that local patronage is very important to us as a country, because we must take advantage of our large market to drive our Industrial Revolution Plan.

“In fact, local patronage is key to President Jonathan's Transformation Agenda because it will help us to increase the productivity of our local companies; reduce foreign exchange spent on importation of goods from other countries and create more jobs for our people.

“Already, the president has directed us to compile the list of goods produced by Nigerian companies so that we will not have reasons to import those things into the country.

“We are going to do the same thing in the states by adopting the same policy.

“I have already met with the Chairman of Nnewi Chamber of Commerce and Industry over this matter and they will submit their list to me within the next one week.

“Also, the Anambra State governor is doing the same thing as well as the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria''

He said that once the process was completed, “nobody would be allowed to import those things we produce into the country, especially those items that we have comparative and competitive advantage.''

The minister also disclosed that the Federal Government was planning to review the country's public system to give more opportunities to Nigerian companies in line with his ministry's Industrial Revolution Plan.

The minister said that Nigeria like other countries across the world would have preferential treatment for goods produced in the country.

Gov. Peter Obi of Anambra, while receiving the minister, said that the state government would partner with the Ministry of Trade and Investment to provide conducive environment to fast-track industrialisation in the state.

“Anambra has the highest concentration of industries in Nigeria. So, we will work together with the Ministry of Trade and Investment to provide the conducive environment to support industrialisation," Obi said.

Dr Innocent Chukwuma, the Chairman, Innoson Group of Companies, said during the facility tour, that the desire to create jobs and make products more affordable for Nigerians motivated him to set up four manufacturing plants.

He said that the support he had so far received from the Federal Government had helped his company to expand his operations.

Chukwuma said that Innoson Group currently employed 7,000 Nigerians, adding that it had plans to employ additional 3,000 “when its new plant comes on stream.” (NAN)
http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jul/18/325.html

Congradulations to Anambra on the statistic! The state has more industries than Lagos state!

I've always said that if Onitcha doesn't develop Nigeria doesn't develop. Onitcha has the power to unlock the SE SS and Middle Belt in one sweep as well as local grassroots industry

·
Registered
118 Posts
You mention Onitsha. Throw Nnewi and its environ into the mix for rapid infrustructural development and see the tranformation of Nigeria. Onitsha alone is the main reason for the feasability of Asaba airport and the proposed Asaba- Ughelli dual carriageway. Anambra state is an unpolished economic jewel in the making.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,191 Posts
Weird wording of article. Anyways nice move by FG & Aganga but I have a few worries:

What imported goods will be banned? Textiles, automative parts, petrochemicals, steel, cement, electronics? I ask because there will obviously be some imports that can't be manufactured in the nation due to infrastructure & knowledge-gaps. It would've been nice if this was specified.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
Welcome to Nigerian Journalism 101 :laugh:
I sometimes have to read articles twice because too much grammar or weird wording :lol:

If Anambra had a powerful governor it would be one of the most important states in Nigeria.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,191 Posts
^^seriously.:laugh: When I read this I was like this makes NO sense!:lol:
The Federal Government will soon ban the importation of goods being produced in Nigeria to reposition the manufacturing sector

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
How it should have been written:

"The Federal Govt. is starting a new initiative plan/program that prohibits the importation of goods from overseas that are currently being produced locally and at a much cheaper rate:blahblah: The FG hopes that this will allow greater growth in Nigeria's manufacturing sector which has faced several upheavals due to the importation of cheaply made goods from the USA and especially China."

Clear and simple, if it were a Nigerian journalist unnecessary grammar and wording because they have to show they know how to speak the Queen's English :lol::jk:

But this is not even that bad, this House of Rep in Nigeria takes English to a whole new level. After the guy finish talking you don't know if this is real or not :lol:

Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon :rofl:

“Beyond the fugacious razzmatazz of the moment, I seriously call attention to the rutilanting and coruscating modus vivendi of Master Jesus the Christ and I dare pontificate that save and until we viscerally emblematize the virtues of self-immolation, quintessential abnegation, eulogizeable simplicity, Christ-like humility and immerse ourselves in a platonic emotionalism of agape love and communalistic service, we would have woefully failed in learning and imbibing the true meaning of EASTER.

We must elevate this moment from a proscenium of joie de vivre into one of meditative transcendentalism”.
Happy Easter!!!

"The last 100 days of President Jonathan has smirked of Olympian phlegmatism and byzantine anchorage. The truth is that Nigerians are righteously indignant of the years of locusts that they are not in the mood to put up with any vacillation or vacuous rhetoric on issues that have to do with political_economy. I pray that Mr President responds prestissimo to the legitimate yearnings of our people, given the crest of goodwill upon which he ascended power.” Patrick Obahiagbon
"The invitation to the Celestial Lodge of the Soul Personality of the irrefrangible and sui ge.neris Ikemba himself-Dim Odimegwu Ojukwu-brings again to focal hiceps and biceps the ephemerality of life. Beyond the state of lachrymoseism his celestial ascension has and would continue to righteously bestow, I do hope however that we take immutable cognition of the fact that the fundamental issues which Ikemba confronted has now even coagulated and ossified into gorgon medusa."
"The presidential imprimatur to the putrescent judicial makossa dance that has pestiferously and scabrously oozed out of the Salami/Alugate, indubitably suggests that all presidential posturings on the rule of law for a period of eon now, amounts to nothing but a mandibular skullduggery and vacuous shenanigan which should and must be pulverized." - Patrick Obahiagbon, ex-House of Rep Member

1 - 6 of 6 Posts