SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does pitch size have an impact on the quality of play ?
For example, is a small pitch better like at Highbury 101m x 67m or like at Nou Camp 105m x 72m ?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The bigger the better. If you want to see football at high level at least

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
but 105x68 is standard
i think all new stadiums have that
at FIFA WC it has to be 105*68

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whats the maximum allowed by FIFA?

Because it seems that at many stadiums that accomodate Rugby Union (Aussie Stadium and the new Melbourne stadium for instance) there is a large distance between the goal line and the stands when hosting soccer.

But I think the A-League has limited the pitch length at 100m.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maximun allowed is 120*90, of course no pitch in the world has that size :nuts: :weird: :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in theory a field could be 100x90, right ? Or do the lenght and width have to be at some ratio ?

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
"The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m). "

according to the beeb. i think soccer pitches are more standardized. here in australia, a rugby league pitch is quite big, especially the try area, it's much bigger, enabling more leeway for kicks. in England when I saw the Tri-Nations it was.. well it looked dangerous ie too small for my liking.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I don't think they have to have an exact ratio, but the length has to be approximately 1.5 times the width - otherwise you'd end up with near square (120 x 90).

Naturally the size of the pitch impacts the style of play - smaller pitches mean less space and things tend to go cramped towards the centre (but it is essential to try to make the most of width).

Larger pitches mean you have more space.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
renell said:
"The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m). "

according to the beeb. i think soccer pitches are more standardized. here in australia, a rugby league pitch is quite big, especially the try area, it's much bigger, enabling more leeway for kicks. in England when I saw the Tri-Nations it was.. well it looked dangerous ie too small for my liking.

Maximum masurements are 120m long 75m wide :eek2:

·
A 'Refined Bogan'
8,215 Posts
www.sercan.de said:
at FIFA WC it has to be 105*68
does that mean a distance of 105m between the opposite fences or between the goal lines and the same with the 68?
and if this is for the goal lines what is the best dimensions for the entire ground from fence to fence.

·
Registered
59 Posts
docker said:
does that mean a distance of 105m between the opposite fences or between the goal lines and the same with the 68?
and if this is for the goal lines what is the best dimensions for the entire ground from fence to fence.
105x68 is from goal-line to goal-line

These are the facts for Allianz Arena in Munich.
turfsize: 72 m x 111 m
pitchsize: 68 m x 105 m (goal-line to goal-line)
'interiorsize': 83m x 120 m (from fence to fence)

They (AllianzArena-Officials) said that you must have at least 7.5 m from goal-line to fence.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
the bigger the better! if you like to see goals and atacking football, If you like defending then smaller is better. Personaly I go for Max.

·
A 'Refined Bogan'
8,215 Posts
FCB_Flo said:
105x68 is from goal-line to goal-line

These are the facts for Allianz Arena in Munich.
turfsize: 72 m x 111 m
pitchsize: 68 m x 105 m (goal-line to goal-line)
'interiorsize': 83m x 120 m (from fence to fence)

They (AllianzArena-Officials) said that you must have at least 7.5 m from goal-line to fence.
ah, i thought that was what it was going to be, but i wasn't sure.

does anyone know the ones for rugby? :laugh:

·
Time for go to bed!
1,061 Posts
Your ideal baseball outfield dimensions

If you were an arcitech for a baseball park, what would be your dimensions?

Here's mine:

Left: 335 ft.
Left-Center: 377 ft.
Center: 411 ft.
Right-Center: 381 ft.
Right: 329 ft.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

You have your MCG dimensions out of whack. The square leg and cover boundaries are wider than that of the mid off/on/third man/fine leg.

On the Septics. We should never have booted them out of the Imperial Cricket Council, and they would understand what I wrote in the first paragraph! ;)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Bigmac1212 said:
If you were an arcitech for a baseball park, what would be your dimensions?

Here's mine:

Left: 335 ft.
Left-Center: 377 ft.
Center: 411 ft.
Right-Center: 381 ft.
Right: 329 ft.
Thats about right. Maybe a little longer in left-center. My least favorite are Minute Maid and the one in Philly with their little league dimensions. Personally I like the dimensions at Dolphins stadium (the only thing that I like about the place). Its pitcher friendly with nice weird angles in the outfield creating a lot of triples.

Dolphin Stadium dimensions:
left field line: 330 feet
left power alley: 385 feet (with about a 25 foot tall wall)
deep left center: 434 feet
center: 405 feet
Right power allet: 385 feet
Right field line: 345 feet

You know the home run numbers of a Marlins player are legit playing in that park (as opposed to a Philly or a White Sox player).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think Dolphins Stadium is the best example for baseball field dimensions. It was constructed for football. But it really is too bad that you couldn't work out a new stadium deal.

Jeffrey Loria is one of the worst owners in baseball history. I know, because of my experience with the Montreal Expos. He screwed us, and I hope he doesn't screw you too.
:) :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts