SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By GEOFFREY BEW

FOOTBALL'S governing body Fifa yesterday refused to become embroiled in the row about whether Iran should be kicked out of the World Cup. It follows news that European Union (EU) politicians have asked Fifa to ban the country from next month's competition in Germany and replace it with Bahrain. British Conservative Party MEP Chris Heaton-Harris, a former referee, claims there is support for the move and says that a precedent exists in other sports.

He is due to send a letter urging Fifa president Sepp Blatter to give Bahrain, who fell out to Trinidad and Tobago in the two-leg final playoff, its place in the competition instead.

A Fifa statement released to the GDN said the organisation was a sporting one and not political.

"For these reasons Fifa will not involve itself in political discussions nor address calls for any team to be prevented from participating at the 2006 World Cup in Germany," it said.

"The 32 qualified teams are representatives of their respective football associations which are by statutory regulations independent organisations that cannot be held responsible for the views and opinions expressed by their respective governmental officials.

"It is important to emphasise that views and opinions expressed by political officials must be addressed at the appropriate political and diplomatic level by the relevant institutions (ie the United Nations and European Union) and that football cannot precede action in the political arena - to do so would be detrimental to sport and would not be conducive to solving issues at hand in the political landscape."

In 1992, Denmark replaced the former Yugoslavia in the football European Championships in Sweden after it was expelled from the competition and the 1994 World Cup qualifiers as part of United Nations (UN) sanctions relating to the Balkans War.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has already said she would not seek to ban Iran from the World Cup finals, which kick off on June 9.

The Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad previously called for Israel to be "wiped of the map" and referred to the Holocaust as a myth.

Denying the murder of six million Jews by the Nazis is a crime in Germany, punishable by up to five years in prison.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Good thing to know someone in the 'West' has some sense...

If Iran was denied access into the WC say bye bye to Iran ever getting sorted... it would cause hate and resentment from the people towards the 'west' Afterall Iranians care more about football than anything else :p

The IRI government would love for this 'western' sport not to be played in Iran... afterall it was banned for over a decade... it would probably be in their interests to be banned from the WC :sleepy:

·
----
362 Posts
I really don't get what Politics has to do with football??
Iranian players earned the right to play the competition on the field. That's it, simple as that.
Well done Fifa!

·
Registered
245 Posts
the last line of the report really botherd me. whatever the president said has nothing to do with guys who have spent there life training at a sport they love..and they shouldnt be punished for political issues in the sports area. sports is universal. and i think to use politics to keep them for acheiving there dreams of playing in the world cup is a tragedy.

(im not sure i got the jist of everything,...so if im off...loool its bcz i need to learn to read slower)

·
Registered
701 Posts
persian said:
Nothing will change and Iran will play in the world cup. So don't get happy bahrainies and others.
you really are a bigot arent you?! before making judgements on how bahrainis feel about this i suggest you go read some views of locals on this issue:

http://www.bahrainicars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12644

so stop being paranoid, grow up, and think twice before you say such foolish things!

·
Banned
297 Posts
Good move by Fifa !

Btw , AhmadiNejad never denied the holocaust. He actually said, why should the palestinians pay the price for what happened ? And he also said that it was germans who killed millions of jews, so why didn't they bother giving them a piece of land ?

Anyway , what counts is that IRAN is in the world cup. And I say it clearly to everyone who wants us out of the tournament : Don't forget to turn the TV on when we play. And if ur angry to see us there, be angry and die of that anger !

IRAN IRANIRAN in ur face

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
Luckely they didnt ban Iran otherwise the Iranian public would really be pissed of.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Iran will do good inshallah they also represent middle eatern asian football in the world stage.....so middle eastern football fans should support them.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think all bahraini would not be happy if they go to the world cup because iran was banned. Good luck to Iran in the world cup.

Other day we were joking, if bahrain did make it and iran was banned, ahmednajed would wait for the national team to take off in the plane and smoke it out of this planet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
bahraini people are cool! im sure every country would love the oppertunity to see there national team go to the world cup.... but i like how they put respect ahead of self gratification :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
exactly..bahrainies (not all ofcourse) arent mad or anything..we know we lost to trinidad and we accept it..so whoever says "So don't get happy bahrainies"..u should think before you talk and dont assume things..go iran!

·
Banned
297 Posts
^^ second that. thanx for ur support

Skyline-BRN said:
you really are a bigot arent you?! before making judgements on how bahrainis feel about this i suggest you go read some views of locals on this issue:

http://www.bahrainicars.com/forums/...ead.php?t=12644
I am also on Bahrainicars.com and I've gotta say that the ones I met over there were much nicer and moderate than I expected.

G

·
Wow, what double standards! Iran gets banned just because the President mouthes off, while the US/UK attack Iraq and kill thousands of people and nothing happens to them?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hosain85 said:
Wow, what double standards! Iran gets banned just because the President mouthes off, while the US/UK attack Iraq and kill thousands of people and nothing happens to them?
politics and spot can't be mixed with each other. PERIOD

·
Banned
164 Posts
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ Iran team
dont let mamud "hanibal lecter" ahmedijad enter EU!!

·
Banned
164 Posts
yes we go booz!
iran is ok, but we see the iran team will be promoted for the propaganda of ayatolot
so they must all get a big booooooooz!!!

fifa back iran team, yes also the olympic was held in nazi germany before the war started..
history make the same mistakes..

·
Registered
250 Posts
livni said:
yes we go booz!
iran is ok, but we see the iran team will be promoted for the propaganda of ayatolot
so they must all get a big booooooooz!!!

fifa back iran team, yes also the olympic was held in nazi germany before the war started..
history make the same mistakes..
jeez you are one screwed up bigot

what makes you think propoganda from ayatollahs have anything to do with the nation? are you really that sour of a grape to understand?

get a grip on yourself. Iran made their way fair and square whether you like it or not

now go back to where you came from and start trolling over there

1 - 20 of 67 Posts