Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we needed a thread for this, rather than just using the Socceroos thread. Peoples tips?

Winner? Spain
Biggest Disappointment? Brazil
Surprise team of the Tournament? Bosnia
Top Scorer? Edin Dzeko
Biggest Upset? Croatia to beat Brazil in the first match
Socceroos Prediction? 3rd in the group with two draws against Chile and Holland and a 3 nil loss to Spain.

Group A
Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B
Australia
Chile
Netherlands
Spain

Group C
Cote D'Ivoire
Colombia
Greece
Japan

Group D
Costa Rica
England
Italy
Uruguay

Group E
Ecuador
France
Honduras
Switzerland

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G
Germany
Ghana
Portugal
USA

Group H
Algeria
Belgium
Korea Republic
Russia

Thanks to Upwards for postings this: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/site...2014 FIFA World Cup SBS Broadcast Schedue.pdf

The Schedule for all games and times on SBS

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
©
9,478 Posts
Good thread! The news about Vidal is a big boost to Australia but we'll still struggle against them IMO. Hope I'm wrong. This world cup seems like poisoned challace for big name players.

P.S. I'll post my tips later after I have a think about it. :)

·
©
9,478 Posts
My tips. Probably way off, but here goes anyway!

Winner? Spain or Brazil
Biggest Disappointment? Belgium
Surprise team of the Tournament? Bosnia
Top Scorer? Sergio Aguero
Biggest Upset? Australia to draw one of their matches ;)
Socceroos Prediction? 4th in the group with 1 point from a draw with Chile or Netherlands

·
I need to find myself
5,583 Posts

·
26,697 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that for Australia's first match, the telecast begins at 7:30am and the kick-off is 8am?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure that's correct. Get ready for David Baheer to bash your ears! Lol Why can't we have Martin Tyler? :eek:hno:
I have a feeling we normally get a different broadcast with Martin Tyler? we did the last two world cups anyway.

·
©
9,478 Posts
We'll get all the games that don't feature Australia with him commentating I'm sure. Do you think we'll get him for our games as well? I seem to remember Basheer in commentary for Australia's games in 2010. Though I was in South Africa for the cup so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Winner? Brazil
Biggest Disappointment? Spain
Surprise team of the Tournament? Uruguay
Top Scorer? Messi
Biggest Upset? Australia defeats Spain
Socceroos Prediction? Makes it to next round (wishful yes, I know)

·
Tercermundista de corazón
2,288 Posts
vidal is a big player for chile but chile's advantage over teams that are superior man for man is that they are one of the best TEAMS in the WC. the core of this team has been together since the U-20 WC in 2007 (3rd place) and they know each other very well. i don't think chile will need vidal against australia or even the netherlands (chile's 3rd game) but they will against spain (2nd game) so he will be key to where chile finishes.

vidal practiced with the regular team today. there was never a chance he'd start against australia but the optimistic view is that he would be able to play a few minutes in the 2nd half. that may still happen.

sorry, but i predict a chile win 3-0.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ Yes my head says we will get smashed by all 3 teams, but my heart says we will do something haha. I'm in a tipping comp for the cup and I used my brain rather than heart so have chosen three losses for the socceroos.

·
2,288 Posts
i do think australia can get a point off of the netherlands.

·
I need to find myself
5,583 Posts
Prediction: Brazil 1 - Croatia 2

·
#pantherpride
1,562 Posts
I know we will give it a red hot go, and won't die wondering. May snatch a point against either Chile or Netherlands, but I think it may get ugly against Spain.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The bottom half of the draw is the easier of the two, even though Group G is tough. So I am going to say Argentina to beat Germany in the final. I reckon Belgium could be a roughie to get to the semi-finals

·
2,288 Posts
chilean beer commercial from an advertising campaign called "Chile Mete Miedo" (chile strikes fear, or chile frightens).
australia shows up around 1:03. i don't know if he's a real australian by the accent. i understand the "dutch" girl has a german accent.
when the spaniard picks up, the voice says "you drew Chile".

1 - 20 of 337 Posts