SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Will Football ever become popular in the Philippines? And would Filipinos excell in it?

• FOR SURE!!!

Votes: 133 80.1%
  • NO WAY!!!

Votes: 33 19.9%
81 - 100 of 2528 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
demented_pigeon said:
arnis isn't the only indigenous martial art in the country... there were others that were invented during the 1960s like saykan, tapondo, etc. the maranao, and the maguindanaon also have their own martial arts. even the ifugao have their own style of wrestling thats somewhat like graeco-roman wrestling.
Arnis Karate This website is about where I practice my Arnis and has some good info..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi!

Long time lurker here...

I'm going to be spending this coming July and August in Manila and was wondering if anyone on the forums here has any contact with fencing (Western/Olympic - foil, sabre, and epee).

I've been fencing here in the UK and Canada, and I don't want to atrophy. I've bumped into some high-level fencers from Singapore and HK, and was told that the Philippines is quite the Southeast Asian fencing powerhouse. The Philippines' performace in the recent Southeast Asian Games confirms this.

Unfortunately, Google yields a few really old links or the personal e-mail of the President of the Philippine Fencing Association.

So, if anyone knows anything about fencing in Manila, please get in touch. As well, if anyone is in Manila wanting to get involved with fencing, I'd be more than happy to give a brief introduction to the sport as I've been fencing for about 15 years.

Cheers!

ps. This is quite a long-shot considering the state of the Pasig River, but does anyone know of any rowing (sweep/sculling) near or within Manila? I'd like to see if I can carry on doing that as well.

·
The Original is The Best
6,401 Posts
^^ I remember you @Peugeot206. You were the one who explained about the variance in spelling on "defense" or "defence" depending on the locality when there was a heated debate on the "Philippines Defence" thread (months and months ago) and laid the matter to rest.

All I know about fencing and rowing in the Philippines is that the actor Richard Gomez is involved in those sports. He was even part of the Philippine contingent sent to the SEA Games.

Nice to see you post again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lili said:
^^ I remember you @Peugeot206. You were the one who explained about the variance in spelling on "defense" or "defence" depending on the locality when there was a heated debate on the "Philippines Defence" thread (months and months ago) and laid the matter to rest.

All I know about fencing and rowing in the Philippines is that the actor Richard Gomez is involved in those sports. He was even part of the Philippine contingent sent to the SEA Games.

Nice to see you post again.
re: Defense/Defence... When you've been subjected to Latin and service with HM Forces, you can get pretty irritated with the word 'Defense'.

Didn't really know who Richard Gomez was, but Google reveals he also clay pigeon shoots... Similarities are adding up! But I certainly don't have such an illustrious cinema idol background.

I lurk on these boards enough to be considered an SSC Addict Voyeur, but I really don't think I have much to post. It's just fascinting seeing what's going on back in the Philippines, and I enjoy reading what the young people write to see how optimistic/pessimistic they are about the Philippines.

However, if I do find myself in the same place at the same time as an SSC Philippines meet, I'd be sure to crash it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lili said:
^^ Where are you based Peugeot, if you don't mind?
I'm in London, UK at the moment. But I split my time between here and Vancouver Island, Canada about 60%/40% and I do quite a lot of travelling.

So, I try to attempt to keep up with training wherever I am, so when I get back to my regular teams, my coaches won't scream at me too much.

I gather you're in NYC, and you seem to be playing tour guide/SSC hostess a lot recently!

Lovely city. Haven't been since Spring 2001 though.

Yes... Actually, my location indicator doesn't seem to be popping up.

Since we're in a sports thread... What sports do you do? My friends in NYC are all squash players.

·
The Original is The Best
6,401 Posts
Peugeot206 said:
Since we're in a sports thread... What sports do you do? My friends in NYC are all squash players.
I'm embarassed to say, I have not engaged in any sport lately. Badminton is not very 'in' here in NY.

·
The Original is The Best
6,401 Posts
Peugeot206 said:
Embarrassingly, I can't speak Tagalog or any other Filipino dialect.

The best that I can get out of an online dictionary is:

Hurts lips seeds of the watermelon?
Oh, Mr. Peugeot meet Tigidig. He likes to engage in play on words since you mentioned squash. And maybe he thought of squash seeds, the cheaper Philippine version of which is 'buto ng pakwan' (watermelon seeds).

Methinks, he might be a tad jealous, too. ;) Our Pinoy SSC men here are a bit possessive of the very few SSC gals in their midst. ;) hehe...

Peace Tigs! :nocrook:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lili said:
Oh, Mr. Peugeot meet Tigidig. He likes to engage in play on words since you mentioned squash. And maybe he thought of squash seeds, the cheaper Philippine version of which is 'buto ng pakwan' (watermelon seeds).

Methinks, he might be a tad jealous, too. ;) Our Pinoy SSC men here are a bit possessive of the very few SSC gals in their midst. ;) hehe...

Peace Tigs! :nocrook:
Well, now I understand how people generate the crazy postcounts and turn into posting addicts. Lucky for me exams are over!

Though on the jealousy thing... certainly, if he's the guy with the abs from what I can recall, I'm sure he can make some pretty impressive sports posts...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do remember the flurry of attention that pic got you from both sexes!

I am Pinoy... Born in Canada and far too removed from the culture, so when I am in the Philippines, I have to constantly apologise for my ignorance of the language and most of the customs.

And for the sports thing... I am just a student with far too much spare time on his hands, and in London, you're either drinking, spending money, or doing sports, and doing sports is the far cheaper, and for me, the more fun past time.

I've only got 1 post because I tend to post in Samahan, which doesn't count. I'm in no position to comment on social and economic affairs in the Philippines because there are better qualified people to do that on here.

And, I love the cockfights! Last time I went to one, though, I was considered 'bad luck' because every cockerel I asked to pet or take a picture of lost, and the guys were getting angry with me. I lost several hundred pesos that day.

And to Lili, I'd say my abs are closer to the belly bagel pic that was floating around here as opposed to the washboard abs that Tigs posted.

But, if you have to put a face to the name... Check your PMs, I really don't like my face on the internet... Slightly paranoid!

EDIT: Whoops... Don't know how to attach a pic! I'll try to learn.

tigs said:
that wasnt me :lol: and the guy whos pro in here wont even post a single thread of hair, so dont rely on those abs of mine eihter :lol:

Neat bout the site, by the way, i notice that youve been here more than anyone, well one, and youve accomplished to obtain 1 post from all of those lurking time, he he. Thats true on what Lil said about the squash seeds against the watermelon seeds. Truthfully, those seeds are salty because they were blend in the sun along with some salt ingredient to prolong the product...blah blah blah; and since, you said squash player, i thought of people eating squash seeds for sports :lol: apparently, i got it from the story ^^ up there. anyway, great stuff going with you and your sport. youre, i guess, one of those "rare" type, that is if youre pnoy by the way; if not, then disregard about the pnoy thingy he he

anyway my pops is going home in pnas, around those months too, maybe you and him can hang out, he he, just joking. hes into sabong (cockfight) and karera (horserace)

81 - 100 of 2528 Posts