SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REF: PT14/3867/O
Brabazon is the first major UK mixed-use scheme for YTL Developments. Located in North Bristol this new urban community has outline planning for 2,675 new homes, 62 acres of employment space, acres of parkland, new schools and education district and a thriving town-centre.

At the heart of Brabazon will be a supersonic new arena complex and train station making it one of the most well-connected entertainment districts in the South West.
Change is coming to Bristol

https://www.brabazon.co.uk/

·
Registered
876 Posts

I'm guessing that the red/pinkish, beige, orange and random dark blue bits by Cribbs is going to be more of your standard out-of town and suburbia density? Whereas the light blue, dark orange, yellow and dark blue/indigo area that is closest to Arena site are going to be higher? I.e. massing and density that is something on par with the city centre, or at least borderline?

If so, it's impressive in scale, more than double the size of Canon's Marsh; close to half a square kilometre.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Is there anything happening with the new station? I notice the salesy website still proclaims a 2023 opening, but google suggests the latest news is them "getting the go-ahead" in 2019, and upon digging past that (imo misleading) headline, that's not even planning approval for a station, that's development of a full business case for reopening. if they really have yet to complete the business case, let alone draw up concrete plans for the station, let alone approve them, let alone build them, plus any necessary track/signalling etc... I cannot see how a 2023 opening is either possible or responsible to advertise. has there been some activity here that google is missing?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Is there anything happening with the new station? I notice the salesy website still proclaims a 2023 opening, but google suggests the latest news is them "getting the go-ahead" in 2019, and upon digging past that (imo misleading) headline, that's not even planning approval for a station, that's development of a full business case for reopening. if they really have yet to complete the business case, let alone draw up concrete plans for the station, let alone approve them, let alone build them, plus any necessary track/signalling etc... I cannot see how a 2023 opening is either possible or responsible to advertise. has there been some activity here that google is missing?
2023 does sound rather optimistic when considering the less than breakneck speed other local rail projects have moved at.

Planning permission is supposed to be sought ‘shortly’. Some views of the station are shown in the link.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I noticed some new-ish photos of different parts of the Brabazon development were around, that have yet to be posted.

It also looks like they've come up with and released more 'concrete' and fleshed out districts. It looks like 6 in total not counting the part at the very western end of the old runway, which could become multiple areas?

1) West Lake
2) East Lake
3) Eastern Quarter
4) Learning
5) Enterprise
6) Hangar

It does suggest a decent level of overview and planning of the area that makes a change. Fingers crossed most of it comes to fruition.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
segregated bike lanes(!) and street planting(!). It’s almost like they’re doing it properly!
great to hear, I've never been that way but I was thinking to myself after I posted that last comment, as a former airfield it must be dead flat, so I reeeeally hope they don't drop the ball on cycling.

I've recently been using those voi scooters a fair bit, rather than an actual bike, but still... it has shown me how dire Bristol can be for cycling imo, I feel like the current levels of cycling are despite rather than because of the quality of provision

·
Registered
73 Posts
Absolutely fantastic to hear about the cycling provision and greenery, I have made my dissatisfaction known on these forums regarding modern (post WW2, but the worst period was probably 1970s - 90s) suburban development in the UK, it's refreshing to see something of quality. If only the developers of Bradley Stoke, Emersons Green, Lyde Green, Charlton Hayes, etc, etc, etc, had done the same!

·
South England
4,027 Posts
This looks set to be fantastic development, becoming the new centre of Filton? These are the connections planned, all cycleways to be segregated. I do wonder how much commercial space it can sustain though with Cribbs being next door

·
Registered
73 Posts
This looks set to be fantastic development, becoming the new centre of Filton? These are the connections planned, all cycleways to be segregated. I do wonder how much commercial space the can sustain though with Cribbs being next door

View attachment 1716909 View attachment 1716910 View attachment 1716911 View attachment 1716912
It is a shame Cribbs wasn't built this way! I share your concerns on the commercial aspect, the developers seem to be hoping this becomes a sort of second city centre for Bristol (I suppose like what Salford is to Manchester). It might be a good model to follow for St Philips Marsh, Hengrove Park and the Cumberland Basin.

·
South England
4,027 Posts
Filton to apply for city status in a few years haha... Perhaps Avonmouth could aspire to this density too...I hadn't noticed till now, obviously these are very early outline plans, but I really like how they have tried to integrate the development into the surrounding area, especially by making Charlton Road the main access from the South... and facing buildings on these outer streets... Ashame about the roads to the north and east... Despite the new road, it does still feel a bit cut of from the south though, with this section of Gloucester Road not being pleasant to walk along, and the golf course south of the arena blocking potential for routes here. Wonder how long that golf course will last

·
South England
4,027 Posts
Tangent... Just looking at Google maps, and having gone past it loads, this absolutely infuriates me... At least in the future we'll be able to see an example of both really high quality, well thought out urban planning... and dog shite, no care for quality, crappy housebuilder led planning building. That road is going to be such as a barrier.... Sorry I get irate with these new developments haha

·
South England
4,027 Posts
Looking at maps for a bit... I actually really like that it looks like they are making Charlton Road into one of the main ways to enter... I wonder if there would be scope to make this a priority route... Segregated cycle lane, Links the hospital to Gloucester Road and possibly Locklease and Stoke Park Estate. Main issue is that Charlton Road is basically a rural dead end road with 70s housing and a tiny path on one side. I do think easy access to the site from the south is key, or it is effectively cut off, but glad it looks like they have acknowledged this. Interestingly according to google maps, you can cycle through the industrial park?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts