1 - 20 of 1119 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Highways and motorways in Finland - Suomalaiset moottoritiet

http://www.tiehallinto.fi/pls/wwwedit/docs/26602.PDF traffic volumes

Road 1 in Lohja (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 1 in Vihti (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 3 in Nurmijärvi (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 3 in Vaasa (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 4 in Liminka, near Oulu (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 7 near Porvoo (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 7 in Pernaja (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Road 29 near Tornio, southern Lapland (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Kehä I/ring road I in Itä-Pakila (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Kehä I/ring road I near Espoo (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Kehä I/ring road I in road 4 major junction (pic by Matti Grönroos)

Kehä III/ring road III in Espoo

Road 4 near Helsinki

Road 170 near Helsinki city center

Road 170 near Itäkeskus (Helsinki)

Road 170 in Kulosaari (Helsinki)

Road 51 in Espoo, near Helsinki

Motorway projects:

- The missing part of Helsinki-Turku motorway between Muurla and Lohja (51,5 Km) is being upgraded to motorway. Works will finish in 2008.
- Tampere western by-pass on road 3 is being upgraded to motorway. Works will be finished in 2008.
- Koskenkylä-Kotka (56 Km), Hamina by-pass (15 Km) and Hamina-Vaalimaa/Russian border (30 Km) missing sections on road 7 are expected to be upgraded to motorway standards before 2015
- Kivenlahti (Espoo)-Kirkkonummi 10 Km busy section on road 51 will be upgraded to motorway. Works will start in 2010.
- Keminmaa-Tornio motorway, with is worlds northernmost motorway, will be extended with Kemi by-pass (17,9 Km). Works will start in 2008, and the new motorway will be finished in 2009.

·
52,905 Posts
Finnish E8 near Haparanda is at 65 degrees 50' north.

The competitor Fairbanks Expressway in Alaska is at 64 degrees 50' north, but it has some traffic lights in it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually, that road is Road 29 (Keminmaa-Tornio). It is going to be extended to Kemi. Works will start in 2008, and it will be finished in 2009.

It is this road (pic by Matti Grönroos):

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is neccesary built a continuous motorway from Heinola to Jyväskylä, but at the moment there are plans only to upgrade that section to 2+1-road.

·
con los terroristas
14,432 Posts
Verso, is there really motorway between Lahti and Heinola? at my map it is not. actually, it looks like motorway Helsinki - Mäntsälä, then expressway Mäntsälä - Lahti, normal road Lahti - Heinola and motorway Heinola - Syrjäkoski

·
52,905 Posts
Lahti - Heinola is a motorway, according to Google Earth. I know the guy who puts these roads in Google Earth, and he is usually very precise.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Helsinki-Heinola is a continuous motorway, I was driving on that road last year.

·
Islander
23,580 Posts
Lahti - Heinola is a motorway, according to Google Earth. I know the guy who puts these roads in Google Earth, and he is usually very precise.
I confirm.

Verso, is there really motorway between Lahti and Heinola? at my map it is not. actually, it looks like motorway Helsinki - Mäntsälä, then expressway Mäntsälä - Lahti, normal road Lahti - Heinola and motorway Heinola - Syrjäkoski
Where did you get this map? Geesh. :D

Btw, should I pose the same question to Russians? :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is the motorway network that was planned to be built in the city center of Helsinki back in the sixties. The Smith-Polvinen motorway plan from 1968 consisted in 350 Km of motorways in Helsinki metropolitan area, and the network was planned to be built in many parts from 1968 to 2000.

Here is the full motorway network (motorways in red, dual carriageway in blue).

The plan also included a metro network.

1 - 20 of 1119 Posts