Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

The Transporter
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sorry for the English post but you can blame the guy who suggested me to do so :D

I am about to live for 5 months in Den Haag, studying at de Haagse Hogeschool, but I'm struggling to find a house.
I will arrive on Sunday 24/08 and I will have a temporary solution, but then I must be quick with my research.

First, DUWO only offered private apartments at a very high price (600-700).
Then, I registered on (and I'm paying) Kamernet.nl, which has plenty of interesting offers, I sent many reactions but I only got 3 replies, and all useless.
Now I'm going on with other sites, but they all want money for subscription and frankly I don't want to pay anymore for this kind of services.

So, if anyone here knows:
- someone with a room to let
- a student's house missing a roomate
- a decent agency/service who can show me some rooms (I can pay them, if there are results)
- a UFO landing in the middle of Het Plein, so that I can sleep in it
- any other way to find a place

...your help will be very welcomed (and you'll have a free beer).

This thing is going on since May, I'm at zero results, from tomorrow I'll have no internet and this is being a pain.

Banned
Hi everyone, sorry for the English post but you can blame the guy who suggested me to do so :D

I am about to live for 5 months in Den Haag, studying at de Haagse Hogeschool, but I'm struggling to find a house.
I will arrive on Sunday 24/08 and I will have a temporary solution, but then I must be quick with my research.

First, DUWO only offered private apartments at a very high price (600-700).
Then, I registered on (and I'm paying) Kamernet.nl, which has plenty of interesting offers, I sent many reactions but I only got 3 replies, and all useless.
Now I'm going on with other sites, but they all want money for subscription and frankly I don't want to pay anymore for this kind of services.

So, if anyone here knows:
- someone with a room to let
- a student's house missing a roomate
- a decent agency/service who can show me some rooms (I can pay them, if there are results)
- a UFO landing in the middle of Het Plein, so that I can sleep in it
- any other way to find a place

...your help will be very welcomed (and you'll have a free beer).

This thing is going on since May, I'm at zero results, from tomorrow I'll have no internet and this is being a pain.
I just wrote to someone in The Hague who might be willing to help out. Just waiting on an answer....

The Transporter
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I should have given a price range: my idea is to stay under 400, better around 325.

I've seen many interesting places for that price, which makes sense, given that a good full apartment is around 1100.

In fact I don't understand why the DUWO only offered me such expensive solutions, maybe the cheaper ones were already gone.

The problem with student's offers is that they are pretty "liquid" and it's not easy to catch them up...

I would increase my budget to at least 400 if I were you, definitely given the fact that it's so short notice. Holland is coping with a student room / dorm shortage for several years now, so you'd be lucky to find something at all. The price you mention could get you a typical 'closet' in a student house in which you have to share with 10 ppl, which also means that you probably have to go to a so called hospitable night in which the residents basically choose their new roomie based on a one night impression. As a foreigner this scenario is completely unthinkable IMO and your best bet is to just look around those facebook groups that are university related or 'finding a room in the Hague' or something like that. Many students that leave the country for a semester or two advertise their room in such groups and they're usually furnished, so they're ideal for someone like you.

I rented out my room last year via housinganywhere.com. You should try that one, I think it's related to the ESN (erasmus student network) organization, which you will be linked to as well once you start your semester in the Hague. Other tips are to look in the surrounding cities, although cities like Delft and Leiden are probably not much cheaper given the fact that those are student cities with their own universities. Rotterdam might be a possibility but is also quite expensive from my own experience. My sister just sublet her room to a Viennese student for a semester, and she will be paying around 500 in the center of Rotterdam.

Maybe you can try suburban places like Rijswijk, Leidschendam, Voorburg, etc. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts