1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Any word on the Clock Tower yet?

·
Worldwide
5,893 Posts
On the internet, for now, nothing new, except it's damaged...

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Heard on KFWB that the clock tower was actually destroyed.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The Clock tower from Back to the future is gone!!

L.A. just lost a landmark! SAD!!!

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
^^ Yeah, I found it a little strrrange that the fire started on New York street! YOU'LL HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT, DORKS!!
This happened in 1990, with the whole Back to the Future town square being razed. Either the clock tower is burnt or destroyed, doesn't matter. Everything will be rebuilt to spec. That is ... if they want it.... I thought I smellt something...​

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Fire Roars Across Lot at Universal Studios​

A roaring fire fanned by gusty winds broke out tonight at Universal Studios, burning an unknown number of buildings at the 420-acre complex and forcing an evacuation of the studio lot and Universal's amusement park.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, said a Fire Department spokesman, Pat Marek.

The fire was in a sound-stage area to the rear of the studio lot, Mr. Marek said. At least 24 engines were sent to the blaze.

Smoke hovered over the back lot, where fake buildings used as background for filming are constructed.

"From our vantange point, the fire is burning in the center of the studio where our major facades are located," said Joan Bullard, president of public relations at Universal.

The facades burning included set streets where the studio films its New York street scenes and the street set for the movie "The Sting."

The fire was not far from the Universal Hilton Hotel, where Senator Pete Wilson had the headquarters for his campaign for governor, but no evacuation was made there.

The studio is 10 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles​
November 7, 1990​
NYTimes​

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Thank GOD Wisteria Lane didn't burn :)
I'd also like to point out something that would only happen here because, the show must go on!
Imagine all those poseur, project pimping professionals and pimped out, pussified, pampered celebrities pulling up this morning for sound checks! There's basically Pearl Harbor, Jr. going on 1000 feet away as you step out of your limo to enter the rear of the Gibson. I can see them now pointing and being assured it's only another L. A. fire. Poor P Diddy :eek:hno:​

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
UNIVERSAL FIRE:​
The Sequel
I also found it familiar that tourists would line up to enter a park on fire​
David McNew/Getty​
The fire in 1990 was arson, set by a security guard. This one "broke out" while filming at 4 in the morning.. oh reallly?​
Mike Meadows/AP​
There were also two small earthquakes this morning- no big whoop..​
Gary friedman/LATimes​
L. A.'s best spring, err... split into action!​
Kevork Djansezian/AP​
Well underway by mid-morning​
Barbara Davidson/LATimes​
Savin' the Cultcha
Juan Guerra/AP​
Bye bye Back to the Future
Gary Friedman/LATimes​
Dangerous work!​
David McNew/Getty​
Can't wait to find out how this one started​
LATimes​

·
BANGED
772 Posts
Is the theme park closed for this?

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Universal Studios tourists see damage close up​

Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times​
Visitors take photos during the tour through the "War of the Worlds" set at Universal Studios.
Charred sets become featured attraction on back lot tour.​
By Tami Abdollah, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
June 3, 2008
The tram crammed with tourists snaked down the hillside road and through its first highlight, the gray soundstage buildings of Universal Studios Hollywood's front lot, as the tour guide recounted famed movies shot there: "Jurassic Park," "Jarhead," "Live Free or Die Hard."

As they began to round a corner, tourists saw a red firetruck parked beside the road. A few firefighters, amazingly realistic, walked by. Around the corner entire rows of fire engines appeared.
Then the group gasped. To the left were the burned-out remains of a town square, twisted and melted metal mixed with charred piles of wood. In the distance, a few building facades still stood in the smoky air.

Fingers flew to pull out cellphones, cameras, camcorders. The normally noisy tram made its first full halt and fell silent.

"You can see the destruction left in the wake of the fire," the guide said Monday. "Some of the world's greatest firefighters descended on Universal."

Visitors applauded.

As they say in showbiz, the show must go on, and a day after a fire gutted portions of the studio, reality and illusion blended on the lot even more than usual.

As firefighters continued to hose down rubbish piles, the first tour at Universal Studios Hollywood took off after the park reopened at 10 a.m. Monday. About 130 people from around the world boarded the first tram of the morning for a 45-minute tour.

"We're going to take you right up next to the devastated part of our lot and give you a close-up," said the guide.

The guide prodded the group into action at the wreckage scene, as if it were another movie set on display. "Go ahead, by the way; use your camera equipment as you see fit," he said. "Take as many photos or video footage as you want."

The guide explained to tourists from India, Holland and Denmark that they were looking at burned facades, not actual buildings. Fires were common enough to the studios, the guide said. In fact, in the 1930s a portion of a lot had been cordoned off and set ablaze intentionally for the burning of Atlanta in "Gone With the Wind."

A few minutes later, before the tour left the fire scene, the guide thanked firefighters who brought the blaze under control Sunday night.

"Gentlemen, thanks a million."

The next stop was a simulated car explosion modeled on "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift." With each fake explosion, flames -- controlled -- burst into the air.

Pointing to the cars as radiant heat warmed the metal tram, Steven Razo, 15, of Highland Park jokingly said, "I think this is how the fire started."

Foreign tourists visiting the park for the first time marveled at how staff rebounded after the fire, mounting tours and incorporating the fire into their newly scripted narratives.

"They have arranged so quickly for people to see it the next day," said Rajaesh Gupta, 68, visiting from New Delhi.

As the tour continued, it passed a set used to film "The Color Purple." Behind the empty buildings, visitors craning their necks got a small peek of the New York City streetscape, which was reduced to piles of rubble by Sunday's blaze.

The tram proceeded to more smoldering remains, this time a house ripped apart by an airplane. Luggage was strewn about and white smoke rose from the blackened fuselage. Had a plane gone down Sunday too?

Not quite. It was a set for the Tom Cruise science fiction thriller "War of the Worlds."

[email protected]

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
I bet it was that King Kong thing hat started it. Anyone who's ever taken the tram tour knows there's like a lot of fire and stuff in that. I hope the Psycho house didn't burn down.

·
Registered
618 Posts
but... the fire started in some odd hour like 4am... I think all attractions are off at that time. But it would be funny if an attraction started the fire XD

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I heard it was some welders, placing shingles on a fake roof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts