SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, seeing as this topic is just as interesting as any other proposal out there I thought some of you might be interested in a thread dedicated to it. I'm sure a thread like this must have been done before but I just couldn't find it on here. Re-cladding this beast will almost be like getting a brand new 978ft tower in our downtown core.

Building Description: First Canadian Place is a skyscraper in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. At 298 metres, or 978 feet (355 metres with antenna included), it is Canada's tallest skyscraper and the eleventh tallest building in North America. It is the third tallest free-standing structure in Canada, after CN Tower, also in Toronto, and the Inco Superstack in Sudbury, Ontario.

First Canadian Place is located in Toronto's financial district at the northwest corner of King and Bay streets, the centre of Canadian financial industry. It is home to the Toronto headquarters of the Bank of Montreal, the oldest Canadian bank (hence the 'first').

History: The architect was Bregman + Hamann Architects and the design consultant was Edward Durell Stone. The building is noted for its white stone finish, unusual in a city of glass, steel, and concrete surfaces. There are six hundred tons of Italian white marble on each floor. When built it was 8th tallest building in the world (currently 44th) to structural top and tallest building in the world outside of Chicago and New York. It was also the tallest building in the Commonwealth of Nations until the completion of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 1998. The Bank of Montreal "M-bar" logo at the top of the building was the highest sign in the world from 1975 until overtaken by the sign atop CITIC Plaza in 1997. First Canadian Place is somewhat similar in appearance to the Aon Center in Chicago, Illinois. Completed two years previous as the Standard Oil Building, and also designed by Durrell Stone, the Chicago tower is of the same floor plan, and clad in the same Italian Carrara marble, the only overtly visible difference being the vertical orientation of the windows, as opposed to the horizontal run of the windows on First Canadian Place. Foreshadowing what would take place with First Canadian Place in 2007, just one year after the completion of the Standard Oil Building, one of the marble slabs detached, fell, and penetrated the roof of a neighbouring building. From 1992 to 1994, the entire Aon Center was reclad in white granite.

The building was constructed in 1975 (originally named First Bank Building), on the site of the Old Toronto Star Building. It was the last of corners of King and Bay to be redeveloped and a major bidding war began over who would redevelop the site after the Star left. This battle was won by the then little known firm of Olympia and York. The election of reformist mayor David Crombie led to new rules banning skyscrapers. It took three years of lobbying before permission for the tower was granted.

The building is on the PATH system and has 29 elevators, and is one of a few buildings in the world using double-deck elevators. The roof contains a number of antennas used for radio and television broadcasting. The façade was altered for the first time in 2004, when the former blue bank logo was replaced with blue BMO lettering and the Rundel (new white-and-red logo). Once the new logo was in place with some new marble, it was obvious that the new clean marble didn't match the original older weathered marble. Workers had to try to "dirty" the new marble to try to make it match the old.

Falling Marble: During an intense storm in the evening of May 15, 2007, a piece of the white marble panel (measuring 1 metre by 1.2 metre and weighing 140kg (300 pounds) fell from the 60th storey of the tower's southern face onto the 3rd floor mezzanine roof below. Authorities closed surrounding streets as a precaution.

Taken by: Hyfen on flickr.com

Feel free to offer any info, ideas, renderings, or thoughts on what should/will be done to our FCP.

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
^
no suggestions or good ideas by myself yet -but i just love this pic!
fcp looks so monstrous!

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
Make it a rainbow.

Or, I suppose they could just reclad it as it was. Just so long as its not made to look like BA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I heard somewhere that they were going to reclad it with an opaque white glass curtain wall, copying the present look, and that it was supposed to be happening already. But I guess it's not on the books yet.

On top of recladding it they should cover up that horrible mess on top of the building with a spire or something... or maybe replace all those ugly antennas with one nice one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had another idea... If they want to save money they could just wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap! :lol: That'll keep the tiles from falling off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Being the tallest skyscraper in the city, it should stand out as much as the CN tower after they do the re-cladding. They can apply some intricate glass designs, so it looks like a modern glass building, while refraining to look like a family member of BAC, sort of like the ifc2 in hong kong

or they can have a darker tone of glass like the world trade center in beijing.

Both of these examples r from china because china is using alot of glass at the moment.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
I like the idea of opaque white glass. This would retain the colour scheme and differentiate it from BAC.

I would like something like the Times Tower, NYC

But a brighter creamy white.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of opaque white glass. This would retain the colour scheme and differentiate it from BAC.

I would like something like the Times Tower, NYC

But a brighter creamy white.

That would look great! I wonder if they intend on replacing all that dark retro tinted glass with something a little bit nicer. I also agree a single antenna on top should be installed. The city should have some control over what property management companies can do with their buildings. Those antennas are just an eyesore.

Freedom Tower

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed them this morning about info on the re-cladding project.

reply: Hi Andrew,
Unfortunately we can’t release any particulars at this point in time. I have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate personnel.

Thanks,
Jonathan Olynick
Manager, Office Leasing

Brookfield Place
181 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5J 2T3

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
On top of recladding it they should cover up that horrible mess on top of the building with a spire or something... or maybe replace all those ugly antennas with one nice one.
yes,
whatever new cladding be used, (glass metal stone,etc.)
it should incorporate a new 'cap' (single, huge antenna, parapet frame, huge spire, pyramid, etc.) (pyramid with a sharp antenna? -like the old B/A prop.).
this would really clean up the top and make the reclad worthwhile.
but mostly to make it officially a supertall!!!

also, it must be distinct -so it can't be looking like any of the other tall boys(blue or silver or aqua glazing).
perhaps 'mostly-white' would still be the best colour.

·
Registered
982 Posts
To get an idea of what it would look like if it were reclad, stand at the south east corner of the Bloor Viaduct. Bay Adelaide Centre lines up perfectly in front of FCP and they appear to be one tower with two different cladding options.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Wait a sec, I'm confused. Are they actually recladding FCP or are you just wondering what suggestions we'd have for it?

What about just cleaning the cladding that is already there? Would be impressive to see. I wonder how long it'd last before it needed to be clean again.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Would an acid bath work to clean the discoloured tiles, or perhaps sandblasting? It would be lovely to see the building sparkling white as it originally was. The opaque/etched white glass cover seems so far to be the most interesting idea.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
I'll definitely go for the futuristic aluminum-screen look of the NY Times building. Heck, the proportions of both buildings are pratically the same.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
the building should be left as the designers intended apart from a cleaning and/or replacing deteriorating cladding.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Except the architect chose a material that shouldn't be used to clad a building in a Canadian climate. I say update this building!

1 - 20 of 915 Posts