Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hate it because he has more talent than i do
Actually you can like it now. The fact that you can admit he has more talent than you means that you are cured. You no longer have tall poppy syndrome. Well done :)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Really do not like it, but I guess I will learn to like it.

He is a 1 trick pony unfortunately, as is Calatrava. Zara Hadid borders on it at times, but seems to have more up her sleeve to differenciate her works.

In such a location, I struggle to see why they would go to all that effort to make a statement piece like this, but its their money:)

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

travel.spotcoolstuff.com/spain/architecture-h...

Reactions: saint_timmy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'd lie if I said I didn't like it. I'm a big fan of sculptural architecture, such as the legendary Gaudi, where it challenges basic physics and logic in form.
Can someone from Sydney familiar with UTS tell me if it's central or out in the burbs? It would be a shame if it didn't have a central location for everyone to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
**** yeah, love it....like anyone of you would be complaining about it if it was being built in your city. It's signature Gehry...which is more than what I could say about having a signature Seidler building.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
**** yeah, love it....like anyone of you would be complaining about it if it was being built in your city. It's signature Gehry...which is more than what I could say about having a signature Seidler building.
TBH, I would not really want it in my city. Gehry is not really an architect whos work excites me these days. Its all just reworking of the same thing. It started out as groundbreaking, but is now becoming bland and common. Calatrava suffers from the same issues, where imagination and inspiration seems to have gone out the door, which just sees the rehashing of the same thing, over and over again.

Add to that, I certainly wouldnt be paying for such an expensive piece of architecture in the location that it will be in.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You could say that about most big name architects though...Nouveau, Rogers, Hadid, Foster and even our own Bates Smart.....if the building looks great and stands the test of time I don't see the problem with sticking with a particular style.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
You could say that about most big name architects though...Nouveau, Rogers, Hadid, Foster and even our own Bates Smart.....if the building looks great and stands the test of time I don't see the problem with sticking with a particular style.
Yes and no. Many others do have a style, as you mention a few there, but it differs alot more than Gehry and Calatrava have. Their designs have not really evolved much since the 90's, which at the time were groundbreaking innovations, but now seem stuck in a one dimensional time zone, inspiration wise.

If you want an iconic piece of work, which will be destinctly your own, I would not rely on either of those 2 to achieve it anymore. Its just becoming too common.

Zara Hadid and Norman Foster seem to throw away the template alot more IMHO, which comes up with many different design statements, whilst still maintaining some level of trademark. Their main trademarks of their designs though are the pieces individual characteristics, which seem to flow through more.

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
I love it. Rehash yes - does this matter no. It's clearly a standout building regardless of whether you like it or not. Good architecture is meant to get attention and get people interested, great architecture makes it work to boot. I think it works and looks spectacular. Honestly we as a country are so conservative that other the SOH (and to a MUCH lesser extent Fed square) there is no real building in Oz that is remotely this exciting.

I'd lie if I said I didn't like it. I'm a big fan of sculptural architecture, such as the legendary Gaudi, where it challenges basic physics and logic in form.
Can someone from Sydney familiar with UTS tell me if it's central or out in the burbs? It would be a shame if it didn't have a central location for everyone to enjoy.
It's here so in the CBD.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...timo+Rd,+Ultimo+New+South+Wales+2007&t=h&z=17

·
Registered
20,140 Posts
Mickeebee: Nouvel?

Unless you are 'physically challenged' or bone lazy you can walk to it from Central or Town Hall - though for the committed slob & delicate soul there is any number of buses down George and along Broadway.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts