Skyscraper City Forum banner

What do you think of it?

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
6,448 Posts
Looks like he got drunk one night and punched a few paper bags, aswell cut up some glass.
LOL. The model posted in this thread really does look frighteningly like he took an actual brown paper bag and cut out little squares of alfoil and stuck them on with little loops of sticky tape. Be interesting to see that facade become reality. But I actually think it'll be exciting to have an example of Gehry's work here in Australia, I don't care if its been done before. That kind of warped facade like on Beekman Tower is pretty cool, deserves to be rehashed at least a few times.

photo by Bryan Chang on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bchang/5067578809/sizes/l/in/photostream/

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
All the renders and models I've seen of his work look like utter shit. Broken cardboard boxes with bits of glass stuck on them. Having said that, that picture ^^ is amazing, and if we get a finish like that, I'd be happy.

Just don't panic yet, the renders never do his work justice.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
To be honest, I was slightly let down when I saw the design after initially hearing about Gehry being involved in the UTS development.

I'm a big fan of his older work, and I might be studying at UTS next year, so I was thrilled to hear that one of his buildings would go up in Sydney.

However there is something about the design that is just so "done before". I know he has a trademark, but it actually looks like a cheap combination of Gaudi and Gehry. However, minus the cheap and it could turn out amazing.

Good news, nonetheless.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,109 Posts
He has moments of brilliance (Bilbao...) but this is really nothing. Just his same style, repeated. Cookie cutter architecture, and every city wants a piece.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Is the material in that model sand paper?

I like weird buildings, this one is sorta out there which is cool.

Beats another box!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You're (mostly) all barking mad. Severe case of the Emporer's new clothes here I think.

You'd all probably be raving even if it was a giant Mr Hankey.
After experiencing post Fed Square cries of "This is ugly" or "I hate it" or "I love it" or whatever... The fact that people are already strong in their opinion is a great thing! There is nothing worse in architecture or design when things are just...well...meh
I'm quietly confident that this will become mostly a "love it" piece of art for Sydney. Not just because it's Gehry but because it's pushing the envelope that most designers are scared to do.
I already like it a lot more than my initial thoughts

·
always lost
530 Posts
It looks like a building that got left out in the sun for too long & dried out, like a prune.

Even still, I think it's OK. It's distinctive and I like distinctive. If you hate it, just remember what Gehry himself said at the press conference: it's just one building in a big city; it's not going to change the landscape or anything.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I think it represents 21st century architecture in a way and how far we actually have come to develop remarkable buildings of this nature - A far cry from the box's we naturally relate too.

For that reason I love it, Anything that stands out from the crowd ill relate to and love. Lance summed it up well. :)

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Shocking, out there, creates opinions, etc, etc. You seem to hear these sort of expressions a lot to justify when something looks like rubbish, but is praised as "art". Maybe to some being different is all that matters.

Doesn't do it for me. Of course a plain box is boring, but this just goes too far into the ridiculous. I wonder if architects like this gets a big laugh out of thinking just how bad can I make this thing and they'll still love it and call me a genius. It's like a private pratical joke on us all.

Whose paying for it anyway, UTS = government = tax payers money? I know they'd get some grants, donations and student fees, but is the bulk of their real funding from the government? Like most of Gehry's other projects? Private enterprise spending their own money tend to be more sensible/boring/whatever.

21 - 40 of 186 Posts