Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How it used to look.

Gone are the sweeping rows of fans which created what was a special atmosphere. Instead we have numerous levels and sections, punctuated by concrete, wide isles and huge entrances/exits at ground/pitch level.

As for the 117(?) steps that disappear up to the Royal Box. What a joke.

Externally is OK. Internally it's to fussy. I'm sorry, but a great opportunity has been missed. It isn't a patch on the Allianz Arena.

·
1,226 Posts
Ridiculous to judge a stadium on one very shit game and especially if you haven't even been there, a better game would have seen a better atmosphere.

What makes the Allianz Arena internally better than Wembley?

As for the royal box steps, how do you suggest people get up there then?, a lift?, magic carpet?, what?

I would like to see you design a stadium that holds 90,000 in one large tier and actually have half decent facilities for spectators. You're remembering the illusion that the old wembley was such as great place.

The result today hasn't played a part in your bad mood has it?

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
I think the stadium is outstanding. It looks fantastic either coming up wembley way, or viewing from the North. Internally it has really grown on me.

Internally, its just gigantic, the steepness of the teers, and the bowl shape is ingenius. The Old Wembley was shit, end of story, we over-rated it. Yes it had tradition, and the FA cup actually meant something back then. Dare I say it the fans were also fans of real football.

I think considering the baffling ticket allocation. Only 50,000 to genuine fans (season ticket holders), that they atmosphere was excellent (40,000 tickets to neutrals? It should be more like 10,000, with 80,000 fans). Yes the game wasn't a classic, but hey, if you expect 4-3 matches every game then you shouldn't be watching football.

John Motson was throwing his toys out of the pram today like a little child. When I was younger I used to get annoyed with 0-0's, would go outside and kick a ball about in the garden. It sounded like he was the 7yr old.

Football is about moments of magic making the difference in a tense game made up of tough individual, physical and tactical battles. Not stepovers, rugby scores, comical defending, or fancy coloured boots.

The scenes at the end of the game were outstanding. I look forward to the England v Brazil game, that will hopefully be catered towards the fan and not the neutrals (which i well be attending)

Like potto says, Wembley is not just a football stadium, it has been designed to cater for everything, and I personally think its going to become legendary.

I was watching the build-up on the Beeb (had to switch to sky for the in-game commentary) and was reduced to tears.

Stadiums like the Allianz will always have an edge over national multi-purpose stadiums, because they are designed solely for football!. Smaller stadiums also retain noise much easily. Are you suggesting we should of just copied the Allianz? That would of been original, not.

What we have got for the tiny amount of public money, is quite something.

Tip for any future matches that you watch on tele. Turn the volume up! TV microphones cannot replicate the match atmosphere! They would of needed thousands in there in every section of the stadium to actually produce a true representation.

The pitch is disappointing, but considering the groundsmen were only allowed to work on it at the end of march, it is understandable.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Overall a fantastic stadium, most of the point that I was going to say have been said by Peyre. And I agree the old stadium was well over rated.The only downside about the stadium is the teams going up all those steps to the royal box, that could of been better designed IMO. One thing is certain though, no matter what people of the press say about it, Wembley has really got a bright future in football.

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
I really like the long walk up. Firstly, seeing United players look so dejected was class viewing in itself :D.

It also gives the victorious players a more intimate relationship with the fans, as they can get close, pat them on the back and get autographs etc. It also allows the players to view the stadium from the fans point of view.

Plus it's traditional. Lots of people have moaned about it loosing the tradition, and yet in reality the stadium has still kept alot of the old charm IMO.

The old Wembley was sacred, a sacred shit hole, and I reckon the 66 world cup win there will always keep in long in the memory. Times are a changing, and football stadiums have to adapt. Wembley will host many an event that will not only get the football world talking, but the politicians, music fans, American football fans etc etc

I give the whole occasion a 7/10

it wasn't a 10/10 because it wasn't a high scoring match, the ticket allocation was messed up and the pitch wasn't brilliant, but honestly they are minor details (apart from the ticket situation). I feel the FA will eventually improve on that. The showpiece opening event would always attract the corporations and the 'FA family' as they like to be called.

oh and JRR have you been to the Allianz?

·
2,231 Posts
Way Over rated and over priced. ave to say I liked old Wembley just the way it was. i could also say that for Hampden, liked it before they mucked it up in the 90's

·
DAMNED
1,922 Posts
The old Wembley was shit, a rusting concrete dump, with bad sightlines, even worse seating, bad facilities, and just as overpriced as the new Wembley, and it stank of piss. Tradition was all it had going for it. It was an embarassment. Now I shall remove everyones rose tinted glasses.

I have been to two FA cup finals, a league cup final and 3 internationals at Wembley, and the England under 21 game at the new Wembley, and the new place just sends fire though you when you first walk into the bowl, TV cannot do it justice. Pitch is shit though. The twin towers will be fondly remembered in my eyes, but not missed.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I'm not a massive football fan.

But from an unbiased point of view, the only redeeming feature of the old wembley where the twin towers - and even they where made out of cheap plaster. The rest of the stadium was butt ugly and looked small, old and delapidated on TV.

This new stadium has some wow factor to, the arch is far more impressive than the twin towers and the sheer size and scale is amazing.

However, as a fan said when being interviewed - the atmosphere is great, the arch is fantastic....but the outside looks a little like a shopping centre. I would agree with this, its a little dull -but 10 times better than the old one.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Watched the match today and looked at the stadium more than the game to be honest (didn't miss much in terms of football quality). I think Wembley has been well worth the wait and I love it. It looks fucking massive.
I remember flying back from Paris last July and flying directly over and seeing it from the window of the plane and it looked huge even from that height. Everything else looked tiny compared to it.
It not only holds the record for having the most toilets at 2000 and something it's also the worlds tallest stadium at around 400ft (the arch) and thats pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
isnt the british leg of the live earth concerts being held there in july.. it'l certainly have an atmosphere then

·
10th February 2008
60,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I really like the long walk up. Firstly, seeing United players look so dejected was class viewing in itself :D.

It also gives the victorious players a more intimate relationship with the fans, as they can get close, pat them on the back and get autographs etc. It also allows the players to view the stadium from the fans point of view.

Plus it's traditional. Lots of people have moaned about it loosing the tradition, and yet in reality the stadium has still kept alot of the old charm IMO.

The old Wembley was sacred, a sacred shit hole, and I reckon the 66 world cup win there will always keep in long in the memory. Times are a changing, and football stadiums have to adapt. Wembley will host many an event that will not only get the football world talking, but the politicians, music fans, American football fans etc etc

I give the whole occasion a 7/10

it wasn't a 10/10 because it wasn't a high scoring match, the ticket allocation was messed up and the pitch wasn't brilliant, but honestly they are minor details (apart from the ticket situation). I feel the FA will eventually improve on that. The showpiece opening event would always attract the corporations and the 'FA family' as they like to be called.

oh and JRR have you been to the Allianz?
To be honest, no I haven't Peyre. I just prefer the look and the feel of the Allianz compared to the new Wembley. Allianz is a proper football stadium, if you know what I mean. BTW, I'm not trying to say the old Wembley is a patch on the new one. It isn't. The new Wembley is a million times better. However, it's just to fussy and disjointed internally.

These two Allianz pictures illustrate my point perfectly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To be honest, no I haven't Peyre. I just prefer the look and the feel of the Allianz compared to the new Wembley. Allianz is a proper football stadium, if you know what I mean. BTW, I'm not trying to say the old Wembley is a patch on the new one. It isn't. The new Wembley is a million times better. However, it's just to fussy and disjointed internally.

These two Allianz pictures illustrate my point perfectly.

But a 'fish-eye' lens does help give that bowl-look, doesn't it.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
its people like jrb (not so much) and especially Mr B with the ultra conservative 'we dont want change' who are the cause of a lot of the problems in the UK and it seriously pisses me off. i bet you read your papers and just have a little s****** to yourself when another major project gets delayed, you will moan and moan about how the countrys going down the pan and things arent like they used to be and we cant build things like we used so when its your damn pessimistic attitude which creates half of the mess!

rant over.

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
Wembley isn't just a football stadium JRR. It was always going to compromise to hold other events. I think we could of made Wembley even better with a few changes. But I'm very happy with what we now have.

I actually really like the bowl shape because we don't have anything like it in the country! Wembley is meant to be unique to every other stadium in England.

Allianz is a club stadium, thus it will cater for football. Wembley is a national stadium that caters for different events and people other than season ticket holders.

Now, looking at those two fish eyed pictures, they look quite similar! So Wembley has managed quite well considering the factors they had to consider, it also holds more, and has better facilities.. The Allianz is certainly more striking on the outside, but it doesn't look like a stadium on the outside.

The Wembley pitch is quite poor at the moment, because before the groundsmen even got a chance to fine tune it, people were playing on the thing. At the Emirates for example they nearly had a whole year to polish it up to standards before a game was played.

I reckon this time next year the Wembley pitch will be the best in the world.

·
Registered
329 Posts
the aa is for football only and still has many faults, just look at the pic you posted and the nasty shadow on the pitch, if it was a solid shadow wouldn't be so bad but that is just awful and most german stadiums are like that as we saw in world cup, even franz beck says wembley is greatest in world.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
For fucks sake wembley holds 24 thousand more than Allianz, try fitting that extra 24k into Allianz's design and still keep it looking good

·
10th February 2008
60,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its people like jrb (not so much) and especially Mr B with the ultra conservative 'we dont want change' who are the cause of a lot of the problems in the UK and it seriously pisses me off. i bet you read your papers and just have a little s****** to yourself when another major project gets delayed, you will moan and moan about how the countrys going down the pan and things arent like they used to be and we cant build things like we used so when its your damn pessimistic attitude which creates half of the mess!

rant over.

Not at all Republica. Just because I prefer Allianz doesn't mean I'm ultra conservative, pessimistic, or don't want change. :lol: Far from it. Yes, Wembley looks impressive, but for £800 million it could have and should have been a lot better. It's saving grace is the fantastic arch.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts