SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would one purchase the tastiest fish and chips in the city centre?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not really an answer, but I wouldn't sugget that 'plaice' on Oldham st next to Oxfam. Horrible

If that helps?...:shifty:

·
I miss a hot dog
602 Posts
I used to go in The Hut on Liverpool Road quite a bit. Not the greatest chippy in the world (they sell sub Holland's pies for a start), but it was convenient for me and it beats the Deansgate Hot Food Bar round the corner. And if you ask nicely you can take your chips next door and sit down and eat them with a beer at Cask.

Just watch out for the owner - He has something of the Soup Nazi about him - 'move down the shop please', move down the shop'

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I don't think there are any proper chippys in the city centre are there?

I'd recommend these two not far from me:

Costas Fish & Chip Shop
35 Hale Road, Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 2EY
0161 928 0400

Neil Humphrys
4 Shaftesbury Avenue, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA15 7LY
0161 980 2279

·
Taikun
10,129 Posts
whats that one on the corner of portland st and princess st, near the grey horse like?
it's ok when the fish hasn't been left on the heater having been cooked earlier. seems to happen a lot there that you don't get it freshly fried... if you have a missus she won't appreciate this in bed! i suppose you could just tell/ ask them to do a fresh one. still, this is the one i usually go for, the only actual city centre chippy i know of.

Portland Plaice. Its a bit hit and miss. Nice folk who work there though.
that's exactly how i'd put it. i think the key is to just say you are prepared to wait for freshly fried fish. say that and they'll know you can tell the difference.

there's that place on shude hill on the corner of i think thomas street. have eaten in there a few times, always had freshly fried, really good. plate and cutlery wasn't washed well at all one time though, fealt like throwing it back at them but they did have a right go at their dish monkey for me. it's more of a cafe than a chippy but they may open late. they do allsorts.

essy's on king street west, off deansgate and bridge street is a nice cafe and does the works but i think it may have been taken over recently so let's see what happens (if i'm right) though i had a full english there friday and it was top notch, even did me a free extra slice of toast so i could mop up my beans. :)

having said all that, i've never properly looked at prices at any of these places.

this is a very serious discussion and frankly i think we as a forum have overlooked it far too long. ;)

are we missing any city centre chippies?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I was talking about this last night. Where have all the chippies gone? I live on a road full of restaurants, takeways and kebabs shops but the only one that sits empty is the chippy.

I want chips and gravy and I think I'm not alone. English or Chinese chippies are both fine, so long as the Chinese chippy is not actually a chinese takeaway, if you know what I mean. There should be about 15 things on the menu and nothing more.

I go to the battered cod in withington sometimes but its too much of an arse to get to for me. What's gone wrong?

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a good place on Brunswick street but its a bit out of the way.

There are very few proper chippies in town. A good alternative is Monsoons on OXford Road. Not really chippy chips but they are bloody good.

·
Insert witty comment here
444 Posts
I go to the battered cod in withington sometimes but its too much of an arse to get to for me.
that place is awesome, its at the top of ladybarn lane, i used to live near there last year and went all the time.

Its a shame its not nearer to the city centre

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There's two. There's the one on ladybarn lane and another in Wilmslow Road, in Withington, where all the shops are. Tis worth a visit.

·
10th February 2008
60,030 Posts
Catch the 42 and go to the Battered Cod on Ladybarn Lane. (located at the back of Sainsbury's car park Fallowfield) Worth the trip.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
haha! I'm glad this thread is here, I just popped out to Costas for fish n chips - and mushy peas and a can of coke. Top :)

·
10th February 2008
60,030 Posts
Having recently moved to Cheadle Heath I can honestly say the fish and chip shops around here are crap. Oh how I miss the Battered Cod on Ladybarn Lane.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
There is an awesome chippy on Piercy Street in Ancoats - but even that isnt city centre.

Livebait?

Harry Wongs on Eccles New Road is also v v good.

City centre? Nowhere in my experience.

Actually - whats that one behind Chorlton Street bus station thats always full of rent boys?
I havent been in for years (it may not even be there anymore) but it wasnt bad.

Just remebered one!

Its on Tib Street - Kingfisher i thinks its called.

Its the only good one in the city centre imo.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
"Actually - whats that one behind Chorlton Street bus station thats always full of rent boys?
I havent been in for years (it may not even be there anymore) but it wasnt bad."

Wasn't bad for what, Longy?

We'll have to assume you meant the fish and chips;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that, like...

·
Taikun
10,129 Posts
http://www.stephennewton.com/2006/06/abergeldie-cafe-shudehill-manchester.html

abergeldie cafe, shudehill

i reccommend. can't remember if price is reasonable. ok it's a cafe but if you're in town and need fish and chips...

google it and you'll find it has some fans...

Abergeldie Cafe, Shude Hill, Manchester. NEW
Once serving the Smithfield wholesale market next door-now long gone- the Abergeldie retains a long counter with a steel hotplate for cooking; battered and bubbling pans on the hobs behind; Formica booths, proper tables and the original window frames. The Heath-Robinson style tea system behind the counter brings it all into focus. (In September 2003, film-crews turned the Abergeldie and surrounding streets into a mock-up of New York's SoHo district for a remake of Alfie starring Jude Law.)

http://www.classiccafes.co.uk/gazatteer2.htm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts