SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, the chapel is listed, and was also incorporated (rather lost inside the central courtyard) in the previous proposal.

I have mixed feelings about the new designs. I liked the curves on the previous proposal but the massing was wrong - too much bulk for this area.

·
Regency Genius
201 Posts
Well, despite the fact that the demolition of the Middlesex is one of the most scandalous acts in recent planning in London (probably just pipping the demolition of the central part of the Regent's Palace to the post for me), this development does admittedly look nice. As per usual, it all depends on the materials.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I think it's rather boring personally, the arched buildings remind me of the Barbican obviously a homage of sorts with a nod to the local brick buildings with tried and tested Allies and Morrison like dreary facades.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
I do like the fact they've included brick in the design. The last thing this development needs is something bright and airy - the charm of the previous building was it's imposing, oppressive red brick, which was very 'London Town'.

This may well turn out fine....

J

·
0 Posts
I love the plan outline of that Chapel.

Also, how did the demolision of this ever get approval? The buildings were really pretty! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
This has been a fucking disgrace and I'm in disbelief every time I go past. Depressing.

I'm sure something modern (and profitable) could have been done with the old buildings. The new designs are better but still not sympathetic enough. As with Regent's Palace Hotel, Westminster should be ashamed.

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
Looks good in the Barbican, but then I'm a big Barbican fan, but there's no place for this kinda trash now. Thought this kinda design died out in the 90s :eek:hno:

261 - 280 of 361 Posts