Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

Developer: Five St. Joseph Developments, MOD Developments Inc., Graywood Developments, Diamond Corp, Tricon Capital
48 storeys

An image that I found on the Hariri Pontarini website.

Site locations of nearby projects.

·
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay
195 Posts
this looks like a very nice building! nice area, right on yonge, any idea on its status? what sort of price range will it be? not sure this area suits "luxury" condos, but I guess it could.... I think mid-range?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
FIVE| Proposed | 45 st | ??? m | Downtown

There have been rumours of a project around here for years, but there is a notice of application for a 49 storey mixed use tower posted at 612 Yonge, right across the street from where Dundonald hits Yonge Street. 5200 sq m
of non residential GFA and 420 dwelling units.
I believe the sign must be newish or I would have seen it before. Anyone know anything about it?

·
39,253 Posts
Where the Second Cup is? I hope it doesn't mean the destruction of that 5 storey brick building 50 feet from Yonge on St. Joseph.

·
39,253 Posts
It appears that the 5 storey red brick building is toast. They'll rip it down, and rebuild a facade that will look the same.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Here's the link.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-17832.pdf

TB, I believe the building you refer to is one of the heritage properties in this report. The proposal doesn't involve touching any of the hertige buildings in the vicinity from what I can tell. I don't remember there being another thread for this.
Thanks for the link.

Interesting proposal. I wonder why this building wouldn't have any significant fronting Yonge St? Too noisy? Or is it part of these heritage/zoning protections? I mean if there's any street in Toronto that should have tall buildings fronting it (outside of Bay), it should be Yonge.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
I mean if there's any street in Toronto that should have tall buildings fronting it (outside of Bay), it should be Yonge.
Yonge Street as the heart of consumerism and the best candidate for a pedestrian mall would be on the bottom of my list. Jarvis would be my choice. Take X condo's scale and mass and bring it right down to Richmond.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
It appears that the 5 storey red brick building is toast. They'll rip it down, and rebuild a facade that will look the same.
Uhmmm... I'm not so sure. That elevation looks very much like they will preserve it. I remember when I was new on SSC and this very proposal came up. It was the first rock 'em-sock-'em argy bargy that I got into! A veritable fisticuffs over whether that poor little Vic should stay or go! It was my introduction to the fact that not everyone is all that keen on Yonge Street Victorians. :lol:

·
39,253 Posts
Uhmmm... I'm not so sure. That elevation looks very much like they will preserve it. I remember when I was new on SSC and this very proposal came up. It was the first rock 'em-sock-'em argy bargy that I got into! A veritable fisticuffs over whether that poor little Vic should stay or go! It was my introduction to the fact that not everyone is all that keen on Yonge Street Victorians. :lol:
The elevation looks that way, but they have to knock it down to build the tower over it and then reconstruct it just like is happening with Burano, and happened with Bay-Adelaide. They're demolitions as far as I'm concerned.

If you destroyed a 100 year old painting, then re-painted a replica, it wouldn't be considered preservation. I'm not sure why it's considered preservation if we do the same thing to a building. Seems like it's just a way to demolish the building and make it look like you preserved it.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
well, if they take the time to brick by brick rebuild it, it can wind up looking fantastic. I will be very sad if that corner is lost, but will remain optimistic until proven otherwise. I also hope the old Bishop's Block by Shangri La looks good when rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts