Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
cockney sparrow
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quite like this building, I've always looked at it from a distance and thought it looks like a decent office tower. But close up it seems to be in a bit of a state, it looks quite run down, and from what I can see only the low rise part of the building seems to have anyone working in it, and they don't use the proper entrance, which looks absolutely delapidated, the car park is empty too.

It's a shame, because this could be a very nice building, it probably was before it was empty, what's even more weird is that unlike every other office block in Birmingham with space available, it doesn't hve a big sign across it's upper floors offering great rents. It'll only start to look shabbier if they leave it like it is, so hopefully someone will start renting soon. Or even buy the thing and refurbish it, it looks good now, but a good reclad could make it look brilliant.

Shining nicely here

and here

here's the shabby entrance

There are weeds growing between the paving stones, makes it look abandoned.

And here's a broken window and spandrel, people won't want to rent it in this state! Somebody tell the owner.

Overall a very photogenic building though, reflects the sky brilliantly.

A couple of long distance shots.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
It's got Sick Building Syndrome and will be going someday.

Pevsner Guide description
Five Ways Tower by Philip Bright of the Property Services Agency, 1979, a twenty-three storey James Stirling-style tower and two-storey podium.
(p.s. could you add a gap between some of your photos as it's easier on the eye).

·
Registered
14,975 Posts

·
cockney sparrow
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're great pictures, didn't think to look in the general forum for a thread on the tower. I'm quite surprised it's a government owned building, and completely wasted as well, I'd have thought somebody would have kicked up a fuss by now.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
Well, if it's got Sick Building Syndrome then there's nothing that can be done apart from demolishing it! Shame, as it does look impressive!

By the way, why put gaps between photos? I've never understood that really... I don't see the difference! :?

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Depending on colours in photo they merge into a ghastly mesh. Plus you get an emphasis on each photo when there is a gap between them, like a frame round an image.

I was told to do it on here when I first started taking photos and accepted as the default forum rule, plus it does look better.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
Aah, if you say so! Personally, I have no problem if there isn't any gaps. :)

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Well wait till you see a set of photos and then see the difference with and without. It's most noticeable if their all the same size and same kind of background.

anyway... Pevsner guide says 23 fl. How did you get 22 floors concrete. Just wondered.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
I think you'll find it says 23 floors on Wikipedia! :)

OK, so I changed it straight after Feltip said it was 23. I think I got the 22 figure from either Skyscrapernews or Emporis.

·
Second Citizen
16,929 Posts
SBS means that it is not viable to do a complete overhaul of the building - it would be cheaper to demo and rebuild correctly. Whilst I like the style, the execution, the quality of the building is pretty poor IMO.

Interestingly, when proposals for a refurb/renovation were first mooted int he 90's it would have been viable, but now costs are that high it is a virtual no-go.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Sick Building Syndrome is like when a building has some sort of cancer or is terminally ill. If a building has this disease, then there's nothing we can possibly do about the situation. I saw a building in Liverpool have Sick Building syndrome and it died in 2001 because of it. Looks like we might as well demolish the Five Ways Tower. I know the building is well-designed and shouldn't even be in this condition. the nearby Five Ways House should be demolished along with the tower. A possible redevelopment scheme should be on the site.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts