SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nasjonalmuseet
New National Museum (Forum Artis)

In the open international competition for the planning and design of a museum complex for the National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design at
Vestbanen, the jury selected Kleihues and Schuwerk Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH and cooperation partner Dyrvik Arkitekter's proposal Forum
Artis as winner of the competition. Forum Artis was selected among 3 finalists in the last round - chosen from 237 entries of the first, open round.

Forum Artis features an iconic luminous top floor, as well as public roof terraces and sculpture gardens with harbour views. The jury gives top
score for museum-technical solutions, and praises the project’s low-key monumentality and harmonious relationship with nearby cultural monuments.
Design work will started in the autumn of 2010 and the completion of the museum is planned for 2017/2018 as construction commence in 2014.
There will be 54,000 square metres allocated for exhibitions and administrative purposes, mainly displaying classical and contemporary art.

View renderings in high resolution

Illustration by MIR. Statsbygg

Illustration by Kleihues + Schuwerk Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH

Other finalists

Urban Transition
By JAJA Architects, won 2d prize.

View high resolution renderings

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Trylleesken
By Henning Larsen Architects, won 3rd prize.

View high resolution renderings.

Illustration by Henning Larsen Architects

Updated by Þróndeimr

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
mr love architectur, its possible to include more than 1 picture in each post ;)

as for the project, it sure is a shame that they didnt pick a more interesting proposal.. but i guess it will be an improvement to the area nonetheless :)

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Not a big fan of it, though I think the main thing I dislike is the building in the "back," the tallest part. On one of the pictures you see the "House of Oslo" building barely visible behind it. I don't understand the reasoning behind this design (as said, especially the "back" part).

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Its' the office building. This part has higher density to make more room for the museum part. I like the idea to make Munkedamsveien more urban, and "seal it off". The road is part of Ring 1, and sees a lot of traffic. Would be stupid to have low density there... And why do you like the old Storebrand building so much?!

My biggest concern with Forum Artis is, as previously mentioned, the incredibly massive side walls, and the terrible connection to Aker brygge. The opera has one backside. This building has three!!

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
It's a bland and rather ugly building, it looks like a big retaining wall. Eeek I hope there is a public outcry over this design and it gets hit for six. Come on Oslo you can do much better, the Operah House (despite being poorly located IMO, it needs to be on a penninsular, not at the back of a bay, think Sydney Operah House and you'll get what I mean) is an excellent example of good public building design.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
It's a bland and rather ugly building, it looks like a big retaining wall. Eeek I hope there is a public outcry over this design and it gets hit for six. Come on Oslo you can do much better, the Operah House (despite being poorly located IMO, it needs to be on a penninsular, not at the back of a bay, think Sydney Operah House and you'll get what I mean) is an excellent example of good public building design.
Sydney Opera house was built on a landfill that just happened to be available as Sydney was discontinuing their tram service, which had been using the peninsula for train parking.
I'm glad our opera is put in an urban context, and not disconnected from the city.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldnt agree with you more IceCheese!

Building the Opera house where it is now, is probably one of the most brilliantly city planning moves in a very very long time. I personally think including this museum as quite an elegant building could be very very cool indeed. When the detailplanning is coming on this one, it will look just fucking brilliant i think. The long glass wall which may be somewhat illuminated could also turn out to be a brilliant move in making the building uniqe but also elegant and understated.

Some people scream for the tallest scraper as soon as they see this, but i personally think this will be pure gold. But then again, only time will tell.

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Sydney Opera house was built on a landfill that just happened to be available as Sydney was discontinuing their tram service, which had been using the peninsula for train parking.
I'm glad our opera is put in an urban context, and not disconnected from the city.
IceCheese have you been to Sydney or are you just relying on photographs? It may be on a penninsular but it is in no way cut off from the city. I'd love to see the Operah House in a more visible position, it's an iconic building which should be seen not hidden away like it is, but it is where it is and can't be changed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think KiwiRob is right that the Opera house is not in a good location right now, but it will be once the area is redeveloped in a few years -it's been successful so far despite the location not because if it.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
IceCheese have you been to Sydney or are you just relying on photographs? It may be on a penninsular but it is in no way cut off from the city. I'd love to see the Operah House in a more visible position, it's an iconic building which should be seen not hidden away like it is, but it is where it is and can't be changed.
The Oslo opera is not in such a visible location as Sydney's, that's true, but you just have to take your boat to the inner-innermost part of the fjord to see it, and as an added bonus you get to see our fabolous cbd highrises as well (the word fabolous was a little joke :)).

No seriously I think the location is OK. Only a very few get to see the opera from the seaside anyway, it attracts much more people through being close to the biggest (public) transport hub in the country. The reason for the location, as you probably know, was also to give a boost to this area of the fjordby city development. Compared to having it in Vestbanen/Nobel Peace Museum, it was without doubt a smart move.

Btw to IceCheese: I believe you misunderstood me a bit. It's not that I like old Storebrand so much, but I just want a different solution for that highest building in the project. Among several alternative solutions, putting the wide&low building on it's side and making it a highrise would be a better choice in my mind. Just look at picture 2 in this thread and imagine the building going up on it's side. Would look better, I think. Alternatively, the building could have been in 2 parts with a opening in the middle.

I just think this solution with a big wall looks a bit strange. It's not about the beauty of the buildings behind, but I don't see any reason to go all in on HIDING our city either, even if what is behind the building isn't the most beautiful buildings in town. Also, I think it looks like Munkedamsveien will look very enclosed and not too pleasant after this, as if it didn't already in the part around konserthuset. It will just enhance this feeling of a overbuilt, and slightly dark/hidden, street.

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
The reason for the location, as you probably know, was also to give a boost to this area of the fjordby city development. Compared to having it in Vestbanen/Nobel Peace Museum, it was without doubt a smart move.
What the authourities could do which would make a vast improvement to the area is remove all the drug dealers, protititues and homeless adicts to another location since most people visiting have to pass them on the way to the Operah House, it's a disgrace and a blight on Oslo's name.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts