Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July i'll be moving to Manchester for a graduate job. I'm brand new to the city and would ideally be looking to flat-share with 1/2 others in a similar position to myself.

I'm new to Manchester so i'm looking for general recommendations on places to live. Any help is appreciated.

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,327 Posts
City centre living with a budget of £550 max per calendar month (per person). Looking to set up a flat share so any 2+ bedrooms would be ideal. Thanks for the link!
Probably easier if you find a few places (on rightmove or similar) put the links here and get some honest feedback about them. Without knowing your tastes, lifestyle, likes and dislikes, it's hard to recommend anywhere specific. And two blocks on the same street maybe completely different so recommending an area won't be too much help to you either!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Based on experience, I'd look at Green Quarter or Ancoats on the northern/eastern edge of town. They're probably the cheapest parts of the city centre. I'd avoid New Islington though - too far out and detached from the city. Castlefield is a nice area on the south western edge of town. It's physically a lot nice than GQ/Ancoats but more pricey.

I'd avoid the 'nightlife' parts of town too - namely the Northern Quarter and the area around Canal Street. That is of course unless you enjoy noise and walking through crowds of drunks to get home :lol:

Also, consider where you'll be working and how you'll be getting there. You don't really want to be crossing town in rush hour.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Try www.spareroom.co.uk for flatshares in the city which breaks your search down into different postcodes of the various "quarters" once you've narrowed down your search. It also allows you to list interests and demands which helps tailor your search.

They have recently launched www.speedflatmating.co.uk/ in Bar Tusk in the Northern Quarter about once a month where you can test your compatibility to each other.

Make sure your budget includes management fees which can be widely variant and sometimes ridiculously expensive (reckon anything above £1200+ p.a.). Also check how effective the companies are as well as many are borderline crooks. Apartments with high numbers of owner occupiers are obviously better run than many of the large rental units where few people challenge the management).

Be aware also Council Tax Bands for 2 beds are typically C & D, realising a bill of nearly £1400 p.a.- higher than much of Central London! (again for not much return from MCC, especially in policing and street cleaning).

Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts