SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
147,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they still exist in your cities? These historic relics make a very nice sound as hundreds of letters constantly flick.

·
Lurker
6,063 Posts
Yeah, they're still in Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport as well as Flinders St Station.

Both would date from around the 70s. I think the Flinders St station ones have entire destinations rotating instead of individual letters though, since it's only for suburban lines.

·
Gotta lite?
7,327 Posts
They recently replaced them all with electronic displays at Frankfurt's main train station.

Although the electronic displays are very nice, show more information and probably better, I still miss the sight and sound of all the letters flipping over to update the display. There was something special about the sound of flipping timetables, it reminds me of holidays and travels.

·
SSC addict
768 Posts
zaqattaq said:
Seen them mostly in Germany and Eastern Europe train stations, I think Victoria Station in London still has them. Pretty sure on Frankfurt Airport aswell.
Victoria's has been replaced the only ones left I think are at liverpool st and charing cross but as i dont frequent these stations fell free to correct me.
Justme: I agree, I love the old flicker boards as they have more "character" and i love that sound they make. But of course the new electronic displays are much easier to use and can display much more information, all the new electronic displays in UK stations have really made travel easier since they display things like how much you train has been delayed by etc...

·
....okay?!?!?
2,212 Posts
^^ 50 min late! if that would happen in the Netherlands everybody wants their money back ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.