Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Cool set.:)

Does anyone know what is going to happen to Genesee Towers? I thought they were going to demolish it a long time ago. Is that still being planned?

·
6,476 Posts
I don't know about a "long time ago" as the city only aquired the building in September of last year. But, they are still going through some legal issues with the owner who got an appeals court to order a stay before it's fomally transfered to the city. God only knows how long it'll take this all to work out in court. It's been an absolute mess in the courts.

·
Registered
18,253 Posts
Zachariah, nice pics! :)

But where are all the people? The photos were taken on Sunday or in a holiday? Despite that, I really liked Downtown Flint. I didn't know Flint had such nice old buildings.

How are the city right now? Still loosing population or now is stabilized? What about the suburbs, the Genesee County? The population are growing there? The crisis, relativelly speaking, were good or bad to the Rust Belt?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Flint is still losing population. In the early to mid 2000's, the population had begun to somewhat stabalize, but the recession hasn't helped.

As far as people, most American "downtowns" aren't that busy. They're no longer the economic "center" of cities. People often do their shopping and socializing in suburban stripmalls and the only people who regularly go downtown are office workers holed up in their buildings from nine to five.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have to say for a city so sometims negatively-portrayed and down on its luck, downtown Flint doesn't look bad at all. Sort of like a mini-Detroit. Michael Moore would like me for saying that.

Flint has a great collection of downtown buildings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zachariah, nice pics! :)

But where are all the people? The photos were taken on Sunday or in a holiday? Despite that, I really liked Downtown Flint. I didn't know Flint had such nice old buildings.

How are the city right now? Still loosing population or now is stabilized? What about the suburbs, the Genesee County? The population are growing there? The crisis, relativelly speaking, were good or bad to the Rust Belt?

Those pics MUST have been taken outside of the normal workweek (no workers at the Rowe Building is a huge clue). If you go downtown during a normal day, you will have a difficult time finding a parking spot on Saginaw Street.

The city is still losing population (should stay above 100,000 for the 2010 census), and the county is slowly losing population. The southern portion of the county is still gaining, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh, and I don't think the city has technically "acquired" Genesee Towers. The last I heard, the courts have determined the city should pay the owner $1.5 million (plus an estimated $6 million in legal fees), but there has not been any transfer of ownership at this point. I believe there final price is still being negotiated. It doesn't help that the city is beyond broke.

·
6,476 Posts
Oh, and I don't think the city has technically "acquired" Genesee Towers. The last I heard, the courts have determined the city should pay the owner $1.5 million (plus an estimated $6 million in legal fees), but there has not been any transfer of ownership at this point. I believe there final price is still being negotiated. It doesn't help that the city is beyond broke.
Yeah, they may not have ownership of it yet, but I meant aquired as in that they are required by the descision of the judge to buy the tower. At the end of the day, though, I think it's for the best and would be cheaper for the city than having the thing deteriorate any further in private hands and then them having to eventually go in, anyway, to resolve the situation. It's quite clear the former owner was going to squat on it until it literally collapsed.

And, yes, a lot of those are some unflattering pictures of the city. Rob, why don't you do some photo posts of the city, around here?

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
18,253 Posts
The city is still losing population (should stay above 100,000 for the 2010 census), and the county is slowly losing population. The southern portion of the county is still gaining, though.
I think all those US counties/cities scheme is too complicated. I know it's a tradition and is part of US system for a long time, but do you guys consider the abolition of one of the two institutions?

I say that because in Brasil we justa have three tiers of administration: União, Estados and Municípios. The município is basically one city with its rural area around it. The size is more like an US county, then the city. There are 3,000 counties in US and 5,500 municípios in Brazil. Brazil is slighter bigger then continental US.

Specifically about Flint: are there people considering the merger with Genesee County? I think that would terminate the stigma of the "loosing population city". I don't know for sure, but I guess there are many middle class and upper class people in Genesee County, and that would help to improve the city budget.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Specifically about Flint: are there people considering the merger with Genesee County? I think that would terminate the stigma of the "loosing population city". I don't know for sure, but I guess there are many middle class and upper class people in Genesee County, and that would help to improve the city budget.

There has been no talk about merging Flint with Genesee County. Even though the county and city are more intertwined than ever (the County literally owns 10% of Flint through the Land Bank), that idea would be short-lived if someone dared to mention it in public. The wealthy suburbs don't even want to merge together, even in cases where they share a school district (city of Grand Blanc/Grand Blanc Township).

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,854 Posts

Exactly why I think cable-hung traffic signals are tacky.

Otherwise Flint has quite a developed downtown! Impressive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts