1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Construction Paradise
12,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GIC introduces floating houses
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005

Dubai

German Innovation Centre (GIC) has introduced another distinct scheme to date in housing history - The Floating Houses.

This is another ingenious scheme from the centre where buildings and interior designs will be based on clients' requests.

Since its opening in March 2005, GIC, under Baltic Technologies Dubai, continuously contributes new inventions to the Middle East, one of which is the Floating Houses Scheme corresponding towards Dubai's waterfront property projects.

Yassin Nasri, managing partner of GIC, said: 'This scheme was invented by a German architect following a credo during the renaissance period from Italian master builders who constructed water housing.

'Traditionally the floating houses' foundation was made up of wood causing a short life expectancy.

'Nowadays, modern building materials and techniques offer new opportunities for design, life expectancy and comfort.

'The GIC's floating houses scheme rests on unsinkable polystyrene covered by floatable reinforced concrete known as the pontoon connecting the shore.

'This is the first time that GIC promotes such projects and we chose Dubai to offer the first launching of the floating houses.

'With such excellent climate, topography and waterfront property development plans, we anticipate that such scheme will gain recognition.'

There are different styles and sizes to choose from whether residential, commercial or complex.

The building itself is industrially pre-fabricated that can be built in three months.

Possibilities range from a simple apartment building to a luxurious aqua mansion.

A modular building set consists of three areas; the foundation or the pontoon; the deck or the access garden terrace; and the building itself.

Its connection to the shore is established by the landing stage in combination with the pontoon, this can be combined with diving platforms, marinas, restaurants or hotels.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
great Architecture !!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
stupid idea.. why would i wanna live in a house that floats.. !!

Maybe a good idea in the future for when there is no longer land in the area !!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Qatar4Ever said:

i don't think it stupid.. it's a matter of taste

·
Banned
125 Posts
Qatar4Ever said:

to construct one of these tkae only 3 months, then today you live in Dubai and tomorrow maybe you can take your hous with you to Florida.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ok the idea of taking my house to florida is appealing, but do you really think theyll be able to market this idea.

Think about it. You have $ 30,000, (assuming a conservative $30,000 per house), would you put that money in a house that floats !! I mean what if a huge wave hits, what happens during tide changes, what about the strong smell of the sea.. i mean, and i speak for myself, i dont care how cheap or how good their marketing is, sleeping in a floating body and calling it home isnt really a comfortable idea... Id rather live on land..

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
good idea,but i dont like the idea of them creating 'clutter' in the marina.

·
Registered
521 Posts
stupid idea if its actually a house in live in,
great idea for resort, or something like that

but how stupid is a floating HOME IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think it's that dumb. Consider the fact that people live on boats all over the world already. Canal boats, yachts, junks, etc... All you need is a reasonable hull / base materiel and a place to dock it with power, water connections and it's basically a floating mobile home... albeit one with much better styling and the gentle rocking of the sea.

·
Veteran Member
544 Posts
I think an idea like this is looking for trouble... I wonder how much these wouuld go for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm with Qatar4ever on this one...

I'm going home soon...
to imagine going back to a floating house... calling that thing my hommmmeee... bleh ...but it's all relative i guess!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
everybody has the right to have their own opinions
what i'm saying is some people would pay alot of money to live in such places and some won't accept the idea even if he was payed to live there :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts