City / Population / % +/-

Jacksonville 794,555 / 14 8%+
Miami 404,048 / 11.5%+
Tampa 332,888 / 9.7%+
St. Petersburg, Fla. 248,098 /-0.1%
Orlando 220,186 / 14.5%+
Hialeah, Fla. 217,141 / -4.1%
Fort Lauderdale 185,804 / 8.9%+

This list is for the largest cities in Florida as of 7.1.06 according to the US Census Bureau:
http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2006-4.html

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I wonder why Hialeah lost so much population? Fewer 15-person households? I guess the city becoming more "middle-class" will do that. Miami Beach has been bleeding population for years by becoming more upscale (i.e. fewer families, more part time residents).

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Looking at the Florida list on the Census site is crazy. I know most only look at the major cities, but check out the wild absolute growth numbers in many of the state's suburban communities. Some, like North Port and Palm Coast, have doubled in population during a six year time span, increasing more or just as much as cities like Tampa and Orlando.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Florida Cities:

City / Population / % +/-

Jacksonville 794,555 / 14 8%+
Miami 404,048 / 11.5%+
Tampa 332,888 / 9.7%+
St. Petersburg, Fla. 248,098 /-0.1%
Orlando 220,186 / 14.5%+
Hialeah, Fla. 217,141 / -4.1%
Fort Lauderdale 185,804 / 8.9%+

This list is for the largest cities in Florida as of 7.1.06 according to the US Census Bureau:
http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2006-4.html
miami increased quite a bit, but hialeah went down

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I wonder why Hialeah lost so much population? Fewer 15-person households? I guess the city becoming more "middle-class" will do that. Miami Beach has been bleeding population for years by becoming more upscale (i.e. fewer families, more part time residents).
Just based on the occasional visit, that'd be my first guess. It doesn't make the news, but there's quite a bit of re-development there. Tearing down those old houses that have been illegally sub-divided and replacing with duplexes.

I also get the feeling that the huge growth of homestead and south dade is somehow related. The relative bargains there are probably drawing out a lot of long time Hialeah residents.

·
Close to G-d
14 Posts
Those are some nice numbers. Did you guys take a look at Port St. Lucie? 143,000. They are way ahead of West Palm Beach. My parents live in Port. St. Lucie and coming from Houston many of the Florida cities seem so smaller but Port St. Lucie is no where developed as West Palm Beach as far urban design goes. At lest West Palm has a downtown and some urban structure, Port St. Lucie does not.

Weird..

·
Banned
13 Posts
I was under the assumption that, Orlando had more residents than what's being estimated in this census. Perhaps, a lot of the new residents went to the suburbs instead??? :dunno:
Not sure what you are speaking of? The numbers are pretty consistent with the historical trends. All of the major cities in Florida (minus Jax) have huge populations outside of the city limits. Orlando is no exception. Even with a condo boom, you are only talking about a shift of a few thousand people here or there.

·
Registered
物の哀れ
27,066 Posts
Those are some nice numbers. Did you guys take a look at Port St. Lucie? 143,000. They are way ahead of West Palm Beach. My parents live in Port. St. Lucie and coming from Houston many of the Florida cities seem so smaller but Port St. Lucie is no where developed as West Palm Beach as far urban design goes. At lest West Palm has a downtown and some urban structure, Port St. Lucie does not.

Weird..
I lived there last year, there would be a new house being built side by side every week yhou would see a new foundation being layed down. But around November everything began to sink and we moved. I believe the pop. currently is around 154,000

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I didn't see this before. I'm surprise my town New Port Richey has doubled in more than 3 months. That's pretty impressive since we have nothing here except for I guess cheaper housing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts