SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida cities named on best places to live list
Friday, May 16, 2008

STATE (Bay News 9) -- Despite housing problems, Florida cities are still being considered some of the best places to live in the country.

Relocate-America has listed the top 100 places to live in the U.S. and seven Florida cities made the list.

The cities are: Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Naples, Ocala, Sarasota and Winter Park.

The top spot on the list went to Charlotte, N.C., for its growth, job and school opportunities, crime rates, housing and even environmental highlights.

See Full List

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...rida+cities+named+on+best+places+to+live+list

·
Native Flaw-ridian
3,151 Posts
^^ Good to see that J-ville made the list. Compared to some of the other major cities in Florida, I believe Jacksonville has one of the lowest unemployment rates and a decent inventory of affordable housing.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Winter Park represent...

It's funny, though. Orlando, City of is a good place to live save for the Parramore area, which brings it down.

Ocala probably has more job opportunities than Gainesville, and Marion is larger, and close to the Lake Co. metro area for commuting as well. The 441 corridor is fairly populated from downtown Orlando all the way to Ocala... Gainesville is isolated.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Friday, May 16, 2008

STATE (Bay News 9) -- Despite housing problems, Florida cities are still being considered some of the best places to live in the country.

Relocate-America has listed the top 100 places to live in the U.S. and seven Florida cities made the list.

The cities are: Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Naples, Ocala, Sarasota and Winter Park.

The top spot on the list went to Charlotte, N.C., for its growth, job and school opportunities, crime rates, housing and even environmental highlights.

See Full List

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...rida+cities+named+on+best+places+to+live+list
Although it's not mentioned, I would have to say that the new rail system had a huge part of Charlotte's #1 rank, which proves that having rail in both Orlando and Tampa will increase our ability to be a top-raned city.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Although it's not mentioned, I would have to say that the new rail system had a huge part of Charlotte's #1 rank, which proves that having rail in both Orlando and Tampa will increase our ability to be a top-raned city.
I agree. I've studied the path and station placement of the ORL plan, and for the most part, it makes good sense and will be a huge asset. Now, some of the stations are off the beaten path a bit b/c of rail location which can't be helped, but the majority of the stations will literally transform this place overnight...

·
Banned
18 Posts
Friday, May 16, 2008

See Full List

I think that list was for the top RELOCATION spots wasn't it ???

At any rate, we already know the positives about living here in Sarasota MSA !

·
Registered
279 Posts
Were do they come up with this crap? I lived in Cape Coral for 7 years. It may just be the Worst place on earth. It is Ugly as hell, nothing remotely urban anywhere, No mass transit, and even though the population itself is getting younger, everything is geared for old people. The whole area rolls up the streets at 9 P.M. They have the second highest or maybe highest foreclosure rate in the country along with the biggest price drop in Real estate.

The only positive things I see is lots of water front and great weather.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Were do they come up with this crap? I lived in Cape Coral for 7 years. It may just be the Worst place on earth. It is Ugly as hell, nothing remotely urban anywhere, No mass transit, and even though the population itself is getting younger, everything is geared for old people. The whole area rolls up the streets at 9 P.M. They have the second highest or maybe highest foreclosure rate in the country along with the biggest price drop in Real estate.

The only positive things I see is lots of water front and great weather.
It's extremely safe and it's very affordable. The reason it has such a high forclosure rate is because it was so desirable that many investors and speculators built houses thinking they could just flip them. The vast majority of the forclosed properties have never been lived in (over 70%).

When was the last time you lived in Cape Coral? In the past 6 months alone the Cape has gotten a new ultra-lounge, the tallest drop water slides south of Tampa, and a huge new skate park. Plans are also being put in a place for a possible ice skating rink, the Academic Village, and a regional mall. The Cape definately has its fare share of problems. There is no doubt about that. However, for the past almost 20 years I've lived here, kids have always been complaining about Cape Coral being "boring." The funny thing is, when I ask them what they want the city to do, nobody ever has an answer. It's what teens do. They always play the "victim." Heck, Bamboo had to end its teen nights because the little "hoodrat" wannabes couldn't conduct themselves in a proper manner. Now the Bamboo Club is closed altogether. What do you expect the Cape to do for young people when they behave like that?

·
Registered
279 Posts
^^^^

It's been 11 yrs since I have lived in Cape Coral. I was a Life guard at Sunsplash for a year. I certainly hope it has improved. I was there from the age of 21 to 28. It was a horrible place. My parents still live there. I visit often. I don't usually go out when I am there, I usually spend time with the family. Cape Coral is still ugly. Not a tree in sight and if it wasn't for the address on the front of the house, you wouldn't know your house from your neighbors. I call it "Stucco Hell". Good luck finding a sidewalk, though at least they have put in bike baths along a couple roads, of course with all the horrible drivers down there, I don't know how safe it is.

As far as Safety, my father is always complaining how bad the Cape has gotten in the last decade. He may be just comparing it to the way it used to be, but he isn't naive either. He has been a public servant for 36 years now, half of that in the city of Philly.

The cape had great potential, with all that water front, But they definitely blew it. I know there are a few newer developments, down by Tarpon Point, that seem to be trying to correct the mistakes of the past, But it's going to be a while before the Cape ever looks appealing.

Sorry, If if offended you with my comments, but for me, Cape coral is the last place I would live

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It's what teens do. They always play the "victim."
lol Not all teens. That was a generalization, and everyone knows ANYONE who makes generalizations is an idiot.

Seriously though, Cape Coral is too close to Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island for anyone to complain about bein bored.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lol Not all teens. That was a generalization, and everyone knows ANYONE who makes generalizations is an idiot.

Seriously though, Cape Coral is too close to Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island for anyone to complain about bein bored.
Sorry for the generalization. They just happen to be the age group who complains the most about Cape Coral. Its exactly like you say though. Cape Coral is a bedroom community. It is supposed to be boring. For a "suburb", I would actually say it has quite a few cool places. A waterpark, skatepark, ultra lounge and a possible ice skating rink in the future. I don't see how Cape Coral is any different from other Florida bedroom communities like Weston, North Port, Pembroke Pines, or Golden Gate. The only the difference is that the Cape is absolutely MASSIVE (both in land and population) compared to the others. A lot also depends on what quadrant you live in. The NE and NW sections are horribly boring. However, if you live near Cape Coral Pkwy and are still bored, you are either not looking or have no friends to do things with. I can find plenty to do in the Cape. You simply have to get involved in things. There is no excuse for people to be bored anywhere in this country. Heck, most of the world doesn't even have a t.v. or radio and they seem to get by without it. Throw in video games and computers and we have more things to do than most people around the world.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
TV and video games are a waist of time.

If your bored, get out there, I cant see how anyone could be bored in Florida, with the beaches and great cities all over. I dont think you can blame Cape Coral for being boring, its a suburb, suburbs are made for living, not playing. But your a few minutes away from some of the top rated beaches in the country.

You just have to live where you like it. I cant imagine living in a place like Kansas, that would be hell for me I think, from what Ive heard there is literally NOTHING to do as far as getting out of the house goes. But here in Florida there will always be somethin for me to do. And I can understand your frustration with the younger group always complaining, that has to make you wanna bang your head on the wall:wallbash:

·
Registered
82 Posts
^^I am glad some people understand the concept of a suburb. Cape Coral should be on the list because it fullfills its purpose very well. It is a safe, affordabel place for families to live and it provides retirees with cheap water-front living. It is as simple as that.

If people want lush landscaping and unique houses, they should buy a mere two miles across the river in Fort Myers. Anyone with eyes can see what they are getting themselves into in the Cape. Why they buy there and make themselves miserable is beyond me. Sorry for the rant.:)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
^^I am glad some people understand the concept of a suburb. Cape Coral should be on the list because it fullfills its purpose very well. It is a safe, affordabel place for families to live and it provides retirees with cheap water-front living. It is as simple as that.

If people want lush landscaping and unique houses, they should buy a mere two miles across the river in Fort Myers. Anyone with eyes can see what they are getting themselves into in the Cape. Why they buy there and make themselves miserable is beyond me. Sorry for the rant.:)
No need to apologize. Good points there ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes J'ville is a great city to live in. I just wish a lot of cats stop the killing. Kids need to get out of the dope game because a lot of kids are killing each other over that crap. But I love the city Jacksonville do have some good people that stay there thats real down to earth it's one hell of a city and the beaches are the bomb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts