1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Major Urban Areas In Florida To Get Homeland Security Grants

Posted May 31, 2006 at 03:07 PM
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Florida cities will receive much more federal counterterrorism dollars this year than in 2005 in what the Homeland Security Department described Thursday as a need to spread funding out from cities like New York and Washington to other communities facing threats.

Florida cities will get $53.4 million in grants to prevent and respond to terror attacks and, to a lesser extent, other catastrophic disasters like hurricanes, up from $30.3 million last year. Fort Lauderdale and Orlando will get money again after being left out last year.

Homeland Security officials also noted a $125 million cut in the funds available nationwide for the 2006 fiscal year from last year. In all, 46 cities will share $740 million in grants, which generally pay for training and equipment for emergency first responders.

“At the end of the day our job is to make sure that we apply resources in an appropriate manner across the full breadth of this nation so that we get the maximum benefit out of those dollars,” Homeland Security Undersecretary George Foresman told reporters in Washington.

State and local officials also need to budget for disaster preparations, Foresman said, calling the federal grants “designed to help us address the extraordinary, not the ordinary.”

The funding for Florida cities compared to last year is broken up as follows: Fort Lauderdale: $9.9 million, from zero; Jacksonville: $9.2 million, from $6.8 million; Miami: $15.9 million, from $15.8 million; Orlando: $9.4 million, from zero; and Tampa: $8.8 million, from $7.7 million.

Lawmakers from the Fort Lauderdale area applauded the move, which came after complaints that the region was overlooked by giving funding only to Miami for distribution to all of South Florida. Federal officials then broke out the Fort Lauderdale area as a separate region.

The Orlando area had requested $28 million. It received $8.7 million in federal anti-terrorist funding in 2004 but was dropped last year because the region’s 46 million annual visitors were not included in the funding formula.

“They’ve got their formulas up there. I’m sure that we don’t rank quite as high as New York City, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles on the pecking order, but I’m sure glad to be one of those 46 groups that’ve got it. So show me the money,” said Kevin Beary, sheriff of Orange County, home to Orlando.

Beary said details were being worked out, but much of the funding would be used on a “fusion center,” or a multi-agency office that would gather and share intelligence on terrorism threats.

Meanwhile, the two cities targeted in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks will receive far fewer counterterrorism dollars this year than in 2005.

Homeland Security assistant secretary Tracy A. Henke said biggest share of the dollars still would go to the nation’s largest cities, with New York City winning the largest share - $124 million, down from $207 million in 2005. The national capital region, which encompasses Washington and its Maryland and Virginia suburbs, will receive $46 million, compared to $77.5 million last year.

The funding is part of an overall $1.7 billion Homeland Security grant program. Under the program, each state and U.S. territory gets some funding, this year totaling $550 million. Another $450 million will go to state public safety projects, medical responders and to help citizens prepare for disasters.

Until now, the grants largely have been awarded based on cities” populations. Homeland Security still is weighing population as a factor in the grants, but it is mostly awarding the money based on a city’s threat risk and how effectively the city will use the funds.

The grants for cities make up the largest chunk of the funding, and has always been the subject of fierce lobbying by local leaders and members of Congress. The final awards often anger many officials who feel residents of their cities are slighted by not getting enough money - or none whatsoever.

---- Associated Press writers Devlin Barrett in Washington and Travis Reed in Orlando contributed to this report.

http://tboblogs.com/index.php/newsw...s_in_florida_to_get_homeland_security_grants/

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
...and why does Orlando need so much? The airport? Tampa's airport is pretty large, AND we have one of the largest ports in the country, no?

·
Banned
224 Posts
Maxim98 said:
...and why does Orlando need so much? The airport? Tampa's airport is pretty large, AND we have one of the largest ports in the country, no?
Because the mouse does not pay a fair share of taxes. They are essentially their own municipality located in both orange and osceola counties.

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Maybe with MacDill AFB being within 5-10 miles of Tampa, they have probably calculated that MacDill benefits our area, so the grant $$ can be spent elsewhere.

MacDill is seen as our extra protection, so-to-say.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Well, regarding Orlando getting $9.4M to Tampa's $8.8M, there's a reason for that:

*Orlando has 2.3 million metro to Tampa's 2.5M;
*Orlando is the busiest tourist city in the world;
*Orlando is the second busiest convention city in the US;
*OIA has 34.1 million passengers per year and is the busiest in Florida, and is the 12th busiest in the US;
*OIA serves Port Canaveral ala cruise passengers, which is the second busiest cruise port in the world behind Port of Miami.

Cummulatively, with all this activity, it means that Orlando would be a much greater risk to terrorism attacks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
jzquince69 said:
Well, regarding Orlando getting $9.4M to Tampa's $8.8M, there's a reason for that:

*Orlando has 2.3 million metro to Tampa's 2.5M;
*Orlando is the busiest tourist city in the world;
*Orlando is the second busiest convention city in the US;
*OIA has 34.1 million passengers per year and is the busiest in Florida, and is the 12th busiest in the US;
*OIA serves Port Canaveral ala cruise passengers, which is the second busiest cruise port in the world behind Port of Miami.

Cummulatively, with all this activity, it means that Orlando would be a much greater risk to terrorism attacks.
Nevermind that Tampa is home to Central Command for the US operations in the Middle East. :runaway:

Heh, I was just wondering why the sudden and huge appropriation for Orlando vs. Tampa. The difference is fairly insignificant anyway. What is that, salary for a few more officers?

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
zerobullchip said:
Pouplation is not accurate, BTW we got 0 last year.
It is accurate.

Lake, Seminole, Orange, and Osceola Counties alone have 2 million+; this we all know.

West Volusia has 300,000 roughly. Deltona, Enterprise, DeBary, DeLand, etc... are all continuous/ contiguous metro from Sanford/Lake Mary across the St. Johns into Volusia.

And I'm not talking about a natural barrier break of 10-12 miles like from Bradenton to St. Pete, or 10-15 from Tampa metro to Bradenton down I-75 either; the break here is maybe 2 miles on I-4, and no break up 17/92.

Don't take my word for it, just look at a map or go there; drive 17/92 or I-4 from Sanford into west Volusia.

the point is why ORL got the $$$.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Maxim98 said:
Nevermind that Tampa is home to Central Command for the US operations in the Middle East. :runaway:

Heh, I was just wondering why the sudden and huge appropriation for Orlando vs. Tampa. The difference is fairly insignificant anyway. What is that, salary for a few more officers?
I don't know why some of you seem to take issue with Orlando?

Did I say anything about MacDill?

Orlando got slighted last year probably b/c the state or whomever had their heads up their butts when they were divvying out the $$$.

Ft. Lauderdale got $9.9 million... did you all miss that one?

·
Banned
224 Posts
jzquince69 said:
It is accurate.
That is not a recognized value, as a matter of fact Orlando recognizes the metro area as 1.8 million. If you wish to compare, the gap is closed by that little thing called Tampa bay that connects the region to sarasota-bradenton which is part of the "traditional" tampa metro until a few years back. Then you are looking at 3.7-4.1 million for tampa.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The funny thing is that most cities dont use this money on counterterrorism at all, i remember that the city of miami last year spent homeland defense money on repaving streets and hurricane cleanup.lol.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
zerobullchip said:
That is not a recognized value, as a matter of fact Orlando recognizes the metro area as 1.8 million. If you wish to compare, the gap is closed by that little thing called Tampa bay that connects the region to sarasota-bradenton which is part of the "traditional" tampa metro until a few years back. Then you are looking at 3.7-4.1 million for tampa.

I admit I hate Orlando and almost anything related to it. The people who live there are mostly pricks that have a misplaced sense of where they actually live. As you can see, people believe that because there is a mouse that people will fly to see, that the city has some sort of extra magical value to some of it's residents, but as a city it is seriously lacking what most cities have. It has no identity. It is homogenius. If I have a chance to intesect a thread with some Orlando bashing, I'll do it. It has nothing to do with the fact that I currently reside in Tampa. It is simply of all the places I have lived, Orlando is the only one worth the effort of riducule as the people who live there are not capable of seeing what is really there.
First of all, the 1.8M figure is from 2000, and still includes only the 4 county area I mentioned. That same 4 county area broke the 2M mark last year in 2005.

Secondly, if you think Orlandoans are "pricks", just take a look in the mirror and your own post.

How typical--- when discussing homeland security and the apportionment of funding to local cities, you, as a shining example of a typical Tampa forumer, choose instead to mince words with innacurate facts about Orlando's makeup when the real issue is why they got more $$$ than Tampa, a question which I did not pose.

I think it is instead you and a few other Tampa forumers who are so blinded by where you live, that all you see in Orlando is the mouse.

Since you hate Orlando so much, here's some new info to process as to why Orlando sucks so much:

1. IKEA is breaking ground in 2006 at Millennia (where is Tampa's IKEA)
2. Hilton is planning another 1,500 room hotel project-- which includes a 500 room Waldorf-Astoria. to break ground in 2006 in Orlando. Do I even have to ask why they aren't building one in Tampa.

I usually do not like to compare between Florida cities, especially since a San Diego visitor to this forum proceeded to bash this state and Tampa, for that matter, to whose defense I came to. Thanks Jason for killing that thread. But to sit there and spout off so much junk... what a waste.

·
Banned
224 Posts
jzquince69 said:
First of all, the 1.8M figure is from 2000, and still includes only the 4 county area I mentioned. That same 4 county area broke the 2M mark last year in 2005.

Secondly, if you think Orlandoans are "pricks", just take a look in the mirror and your own post.

How typical--- when discussing homeland security and the apportionment of funding to local cities, you, as a shining example of a typical Tampa forumer, choose instead to mince words with innacurate facts about Orlando's makeup when the real issue is why they got more $$$ than Tampa, a question which I did not pose.

I think it is instead you and a few other Tampa forumers who are so blinded by where you live, that all you see in Orlando is the mouse.

Since you hate Orlando so much, here's some new info to process as to why Orlando sucks so much:

1. IKEA is breaking ground in 2006 at Millennia (where is Tampa's IKEA)
2. Hilton is planning another 1,500 room hotel project-- which includes a 500 room Waldorf-Astoria. to break ground in 2006 in Orlando. Do I even have to ask why they aren't building one in Tampa.

I usually do not like to compare between Florida cities, especially since a San Diego visitor to this forum proceeded to bash this state and Tampa, for that matter, to whose defense I came to. Thanks Jason for killing that thread. But to sit there and spout off so much junk... what a waste.
Dude, I live in Tampa, I moved here from Orlando less than one year ago. it was a move up in market in a serious way. I am from neither place. I deleted that portion of my post shortly after making it, but if you want to continue it, I am all for it.

A retailer or Hotel moving to Orlando means nothing about the people who live there. It's nice to think they love you though. Do you think the millenia area would have been built if not for the tourist sector only a few miles away? All the things you mentioned are there because people come there to spend massive amounts of money. You are confusing tourism (whoring) and demographics. Orlando has the tourism, and Tampa has the demographics.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
zerobullchip said:
Dude, I live in Tampa, I moved here from Orlando less than one year ago. it was a move up in market in a serious way. I am from neither place. I deleted that portion of my post shortly after making it, but if you want to continue it, I am all for it.

A retailer or Hotel moving to Orlando means nothing about the people who live there. It's nice to think they love you though. Do you think the millenia area would have been built if not for the tourist sector only a few miles away? All the things you mentioned are there because people come there to spend massive amounts of money. You are confusing tourism (whoring) and demographics. Orlando has the tourism, and Tampa has the demographics.
I agree with you. Orlando gets these things because of the tourists. I think its a fairly disgusting city when you think about it.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
I guess your collective attitude towards Orlando is the basis for your resentment for Orlando getting more Federal $$$ than Tampa. I can't help that.

Taking jabs at Orlando that make no sense is a sign of an inferiority complex, b/c when you are satisfied with where you live, you aren't as critical about other cities where you don't live. That's why the Miami forumers don't bother being critical of Orlando or Tampa-- b/c they are satisfied with Miami as a city.

And I also guess that's why I and other Orlando forumers could give a rip about criticizing Tampa-- b/c we too are satisfied with where we live. But, as for a few of you Tampa forumers... I feel sorry for you.

I have seen so much criticism coming out of Tampa Bay aimed at Orlando and even Miami since I've been here. Criticizing Miami last year was based on your feelings that Tampa wasn't getting enough respect while Miami was getting all the glory. Criticizing Orlando, a city with less population, is nothing more than a last gasp effort not to fall in the pecking order of Florida's most relevant cities.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
jzquince69 said:
And I also guess that's why I and other Orlando forumers could give a rip about criticizing Tampa-- b/c we too are satisfied with where we live. But, as for a few of you Tampa forumers... I feel sorry for you.
This is the part where people laugh at you for being pretty asinine.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Seriously, what's the big deal? Orlando didn't get anything the year before. Based on that, they probably should have gotten more. Jax got more than Tampa too and its less than half the size. Is it an injustice or does it have something to do with something we know nothing about? I'm sure the later is the correct answer.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Maxim98 said:
This is the part where people laugh at you for being pretty asinine.
I'm laughing. When I looked into moving to Florida I moved to Tampa because of decent paying jobs in the financial industry. In Orlando you have to work for Mickey Mouse and we all know he doesn't pay well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts