SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with the AIA yesterday on a tour they give High School kids with my boss (Antonio Amadaeo) who gave the tour. This is the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in one setting in the world. It is considered a World Monument area and probably displays some of the greatest American architecture of all time. FSC is another reason the Tampa Bay area is as amazing and awesome as it is. We can all bicker about how crappy things are done in this region, but at the end of the day, Tampa Bay has some of the greatest attractions in the country, whether or not some of you believe that or not.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
You gotta appreciate a designer who thinks the rest of the world is as short as he is.

·
tpa/phl
28 Posts
great photos...definitely highlighted the buildings pretty well. went there for a fundamentals of design class last year, we did a bit on Frank. not a huge fan of his work but i can respect his conceptual ideas.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
His passport listed 5'-8.5". Not as short as most people expect, however he did have a thing for DRASTIC changes in ceiling heights from service spaces to served ones.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
btw, I was joking about what I said earlier. Reading what I wrote, that isn't clear.

I never understood the thing with short ceilings either. I guess cost and material savings? I like to have at least 8ft ceilings. (though I don't really like very tall ceilings, say past 10-12')

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
btw, I was joking about what I said earlier. Reading what I wrote, that isn't clear.

I never understood the thing with short ceilings either. I guess cost and material savings? I like to have at least 8ft ceilings. (though I don't really like very tall ceilings, say past 10-12')
It is an attempt of "humanizing" his buildings.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
^^That and he considered himself the typical human (scale), so he designed everything in proportion to himself. Frequently his door heights were around 6'2" and one of his houses only had ceiling heights of 6'4". One of his friends was 6'4" tall and he would always joke that he should sit down because he was throwing off the scale of the room.

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it's very humanizing to hit your head on the ceiling.
FLR didn't care about you, he cared about himself. D explained it exactly how it was. He designed it what was humanly scale to him, and he was just of average height. You got to remember that FLR was born in the 1870's as well. Average height to him was shorter than what we see as average now. From reading his quotes, though jokes, he was a very arrogant controlling egotistical man. He wanted things done how he wanted, he didn't give a s**t about anything else. Look at some of his furniture, they're designed to make you sit in a very specific way, and if you didn't it would tip over.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
He is kind of the anti-Micahel Graves who designs for the masses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts