·
Banned
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2008/05/foie-gras-ban-l.html

May 14, 2008

Foie-gras ban lifted, Chicago chefs relieved

Posted by Phil Vettel at 3:40 p.m. CDT

Cheers, relief and at least one shrug of the shoulders accompanied the news that on Wednesday, the Chicago City Council repealed its two-year-old ban on the sale of foie gras, a delicacy made from the fattened livers of ducks and geese (though goose foie gras is virtually unheard of in this country).

“Restaurateurs are so happy and ecstatic,” said a jubilant chef Didier Durand, who as co-founder of Chicago Chefs for Choice led the fight against the foie-gras ban. “This is a delicacy that traces back 5,000 years; we don’t need a ban.”

“I’m relieved,” said chef Michael Tsonton. “Between the foie-gras producers, and the Chicago Chefs for Choice (of which he was co-founder), and as a member of the board of the Illinois Restaurant Association, I was in the middle. And it’s nice to be able to share some good news with our producers.

“The timing is nice, too,” Tsonton said. “As visitors around the nation descend on our fair city [for summer], it’s about time that science and common sense ring freely over emotion and half-hearted veganism.”

Charlie Trotter, whose renouncement of foie gras at his restaurant inspired Ald. Joe Moore (49th) to introduce the foie-gras-ban ordinance, said the repeal wouldn’t affect him at all.

“I was never in favor of the ban to begin with,” Trotter said. “I was appalled when Joe Moore decided to list my name as an advocate of this point of view. He wanted me to come out and support this thing. I have my own reasons for not serving this product, but don’t get me involved in his mess.”

Durand said his phone was ringing nonstop from people offering congratulations, and he was preparing a late-afternoon press conference at his restaurant, Cyrano’s Bistrot, featuring Durand and his pet duck, Nicolas. “We’re going to paint the town with foie gras,” Durand said.

Even though the repeal is only hours old, many Chicago restaurants will be able to serve foie gras tonight. Many Chicago chefs already had found creative ways around the ban. “I’m ready,” Durand declared. “It used to be chicken liver; all of a sudden, it’s foie gras again.”

Said Tsonton, “Now I’ve got to reprint my menus.”

:banana::banana::banana:

·
Banned
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/chicago-overturns-foie-gras-ban/?hp

May 14, 2008, 3:33 pm
Chicago Overturns Foie Gras Ban
By Nick Fox

Food politics

Chicagoans can feast on foie gras once more. The Chicago City Council just repealed the ban on its sale that it put in place two years ago.
Monica Davey, the Times’s Chicago bureau chief, says the ban has been a source of embarrassment for the city and the repeal comes as residents have accused officials of trying to micromanage people’s lives, with talk of prohibiting smoking even outside along the lakefront and eliminating transfats from restaurants.

No other American city has prohibited foie gras’ sale, but California has passed a law banning it as of 2012.

The Chicago council’s vote was 37-6, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Web site.

In bringing the measure to the floor, Mayor Richard M. Daley, never a supporter of the ban, ignored pleas from the ban’s sponsor, Alderman Joe Moore, who, The Tribune said, warned his colleagues that, “Tomorrow it could happen to you.” :lol:

What “it” was wasn’t clear.

·
Premium Member
34,525 Posts
Foie-gras is terribly inhumane, I wouldn't eat it even if I could afford it :p
It is? I really don't understand why people say it's that inhumane, the way beefs are treated in abattoir is a lot worse yet no one's banning sheriff's steacks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Foie-gras is terribly inhumane, I wouldn't eat it even if I could afford it :p
Yeh, it's almost as inhumane as a lion killing a deer and ripping its insides to shreds while it feasts on its delicious carcus. Oh no wait, that's not inhumane because lions are part of the 'natural world'. I forgot that us humans are actually cyber-robotic organisms and we should know better.

·
Premium Member
34,525 Posts
I am from a region that produces a lot of foie gras (in case you people did not know it). We have a lot (I mean a lot) of it for a reasonable price.

I like truffled foie gras and opposite foie gras (half fried foie gras with two balls of foie gras ice cream melting over it). Damn, that"s good. I believe it's a shame to deprive an entire population of such good stuff especially considering animals don't exactly suffer, it may hurt a bit when they pass the feeding tube but let's not overtone it, a probe in your anus when you're at the hospital is certainly a lot more unpleasant.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As posted before, there are plenty of other examples of animal cruelty in the food business. Cattle ranches, chicken farms, fisheries etc. You can find rampant animal abuse in these industries. The Bordain clip is fairly accurate. It is in the best interest of the farmer to make sure that the goose is as stress free as possible in order to create the highest quality of fois gras. Better quality equals more money.

If Chicago wants to take a stand against animal cruelty, then it would make a more powerful statement by going after the beef industry.

Sounds like Pastoral is the place to be this Sunday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.