Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..visit?

I am planning to do my first Euro trip sometimes this year, and I dont want to cram 15 cities into 6 days or something lol, so I am only going to one or two countries, what do you guys recommend? and reasons?

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
Paris/London is probably 'beginners' Europe. Trying to fit then both in 6 days may be stretching it though.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
definitely Switzerland.

It is a great combination of all Europe -- French meets German, English meets Italian, and many others.

Some say if you're a quick traveller and don't have time and money to visit each European countries, then you can just visit one single country-- Switzerland-- since it's a perfect blend of the whole of Europe :banana:

·
415 Posts
England and France because I think London and Paris are the 2 must see cities of Europe. And while I don't think any Italian city is at the same level as Paris and London, I do think the country as a whole is a must see country.

·
Resurrected
25,527 Posts
France, Italy or Switzerland - you have everything from old to modern history, all different kind of landscape, lots of cities and very diverse climates on relatively small space.

To be honest, I don't think that Paris and London are the TWO must-sees. I know and love both towns but for a common non-European they look as similar as Melbourne and Sydney or Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. Chose one of the two ;)

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I have a question, why would you want to visit a generic place so much as some people are suggesting?

Just chose someplace unique, and frankly, exept if you like mountains, I don't Swizerland is the best place to visit (no offence) even if it offers a blend of some different western european cultures.

If you want people to advice you, tell us what you are looking for, mountains/littoral/plains, sun/mild-climate, urban/rural, grit/yuppiness, culture/fun.... Afterwards maybe we can truly advice you.

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
Paris and London ideal cities to be robbed, where everything is so expensive. I think anyone visiting Europe should see the Eiffel Tower and the Colosseum. So I say: Paris and Rome. As both cities represent important periods of European history, Rome - the eternal city, the cradle of European civilization, for you to understand that it is not Europe that is Americanized, but its America that is Europeanized (as you sometimes wrong suggest) and Paris La belle Epoque. Expect to be robbed by shops.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
I would go with Paris and London as the primary cities and with only 6 days ( wft :lol: ) I would keep to that...

If you had more time I would also visit Geneva and/or pehaps the Nice-Monaco area..

Or you could visit Northern Germany ( Berlin, Hamburg ) with a one or two day trip to the Copenhagen/Malmø area ( Denmark/Sweden ) :)

But with such a short time frame keep to Paris and London...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was actually thinking of Czech Republic..or maybe Czech+Austria. It is kind of an unusual choice for first visit but isn't Czech Republic also getting a lot of tourists? I dont wanna go to a place where all tourists go.
but then it is first visit so maybe I should stick with the traditional choice.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paris and London ideal cities to be robbed, where everything is so expensive. I think anyone visiting Europe should see the Eiffel Tower and the Colosseum. So I say: Paris and Rome. As both cities represent important periods of European history, Rome - the eternal city, the cradle of European civilization, for you to understand that it is not Europe that is Americanized, but its America that is Europeanized (as you sometimes wrong suggest) and Paris La belle Epoque. Expect to be robbed by shops.
yeah this is exactly the reason I want to avoid London and Paris, there might be too many tourist traps and as an unexperienced traveller I might fall for them LOL. France+Italy sounds great but the distance travelled is probably too long...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question, why would you want to visit a generic place so much as some people are suggesting?

Just chose someplace unique, and frankly, exept if you like mountains, I don't Swizerland is the best place to visit (no offence) even if it offers a blend of some different western european cultures.

If you want people to advice you, tell us what you are looking for, mountains/littoral/plains, sun/mild-climate, urban/rural, grit/yuppiness, culture/fun.... Afterwards maybe we can truly advice you.
just sightseeing...no ski, no beach. landscape doesn't really matter but it has to be easy to travel by train or by bus.

·
39,237 Posts
You are smart to pick just 1 or 2 countries. Trips should be relaxing and fun, not jam packed and rushed. You need to ask yourself if there is something you've dreamed of seeing your whole life. Perhaps it is the Parthenon, or maybe it is Venice? Only you can answer that question. If you want a city, how about Istanbul? It was the world's premier city for over a thousand years, centre of many of the world's religions, a teeming metropolis, and the crossroads of Europe and Asia. Fantastic food, great beaches, stunning old architecture, rich history, and just a short boat ride away from thousands of Greek islands.

If Istanbul appeals to you, but it is not European enough for you, I'd recommend Rome.

·
♥사랑해요♥
658 Posts
Of course, in 6 days a good choice is visiting Paris and London, because are two major cities and not far from each other. You would be visiting two countries also, one being latin and the other being anglo.
But honestly Paris will disappoint you.

In 6 days I'd do what you say, but a bit different and at this way:
Czech Republic (2 days)-Austria (2 days)-Northern Italy (2 days).

With time, I'd go to:

Madrid-Barcelona-Monaco-Florence-Munich-copenhagen-Sweden

Or

Austria-Czech Republic-Munich (or anyother place in southwest Germany)-London

·
415 Posts
yeah this is exactly the reason I want to avoid London and Paris, there might be too many tourist traps and as an unexperienced traveller I might fall for them LOL. France+Italy sounds great but the distance travelled is probably too long...
How about Russia? Moscow & St. Petersburg :D

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I was actually thinking of Czech Republic..or maybe Czech+Austria. It is kind of an unusual choice for first visit but isn't Czech Republic also getting a lot of tourists? I dont wanna go to a place where all tourists go.
but then it is first visit so maybe I should stick with the traditional choice.
Yes, Prague especially gets a lot of tourists, a bit too much unfortunatly and the place is a bit of the tourist trap, especially the center which was under museumification when I visited back in 2004. It's a beautifull city nonetheless though.

However, be aware that the people in Prague are not the friendliest you could find, but the girls are beautifull.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Remember that France is not only Paris, you could stick to the south-east of France+Corsica and visit north/central Italy.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
every place in Europe is unique and fantastic in my opinion to visit.....my country Greece-mainly the Greek islands is ideal especially for any type of holiday-partying -relaxing or whatever..of course Italy,the whole country ,France,like Paris and South coast ,Germany-Bavaria Berlin etc ,Slovenia,Portugal..anyway to many to mention each place is awesome to visit in Europe..at least all places with nice atmosphere...i'm not going to mention places but some countries,in the Balkans or Eastern Europe are not recommended.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts